Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought i'd post this up on here as it might prove useful to someone on the future.

I'd like to say thank you to Don1952 for the initial info on this.

Let me first say, the car this was done on is a JDM SF5 Auto right hand drive.

First off if you need to remove the dash dont listen to others who will tell you "its really hard" or "No, dont do it" or "It'll take you ages"

Utter Crap! It took me 1.5 hours to remove the dash and 4.5 to put it back (1. Because I cleaned the underside of all the plastics of dirt and muck and 2. I took loads of photos.)

First off the tools you'll need

1 x 10 mm socket and ratchet (a spanner could be used but 2 bolts are impossible to remove with a spanner)
1 x extension bar for socket
1 x philips screwdriver
1 x small flat blade screwdriver
a tray to put all the bits in.

Next the preparation.

You must be able to open both front doors otherwise getting the dash out of the drivers side is really difficult. Its obstructed by the steering wheel.

Before you start on the removal, disconnect the battery as there are electrical bits down there as well as airbags and the last thing you want is an electrical short or an airbag going off. 10mm socket on the negative terminal will disconnect the battery and make things safer.

Okay first things first, here is the location of nearly all the bolts and screw you will need to know. Screws, bolts and clips are shown in different colours. Items obscured from view are shown with a white dot inside.

fig 1

Any connectors removed do not need to be labelled as they are all unique as far as I can see and will only fit in one hole, the one they are intended for.

To get the dash out you need to do is remove the bolt ons such as the central top box, glove box and the centre console - Stereo area beforehand, as these help hold the dash in.

Top box/pocket first.
Open the lid and there are two screws with covers on either side close to the front. use the small screw to prise off the covers, gently otherwise you'll scratch them or they'll go flying off into the distance.

Undereneath the covers there are two screw, remove these and the top box is ready to come out, however if its never been removed since being fitted the lugs at the front near the vents will hold it fast. Either the small screw driver to eek out the lugs or close the lid and slide the whole piece forward.

fig 2

Next onto the centre console, which is in three pieces.

First off the piece surrounding the handbrake, the screws for this are under the lid for the central cubby space in between the seats.

fig 3

Again get your little screwdriver out and prise off the screw covers, you will see one removed in the image above. Once removed, take out the screws.

Now lift the piece out, lifting it upwards and forwards, following the handbrake. Do not yank this if you have an auto with a hold button. Lift gently and then un-clip the connector from the switch.

Next the gear lever surround, this is just placed in and has no screws whatso ever, lift from the rear and lift upwards and forwards over the gear lever. This procedure maybe different on a manual. On an auto you may have to move the gear lever out of park.

fig 4

Next the stereo surround, again this isnt screwed in and needs to be pulled from the bottom as indicated below. Again be careful, there are wires attached to this piece and again they need to be unclipped. There are 3 in total all around the ashtray area.

fig 5

Next you need to remove the stereo and climate control units (again this might be different for those with heater or just aircon). The screws indicated below need to be removed and then the stereo is slid forward and removed.

The climate control unit is a pain in the arse to get out as its screwed in behind the plates not in front as with the stereo. Once unscrewed however you should be able to wiggle it out. On the rear are two sockets which need to be unclipped there is also a pipe which will slide off quite easily.

fig 6

Once the centre console is empty you can remove it, there are 4 screws locating it the top two are shown in the image above. And the location of the other two is shown in the image below.

fig 7

Next to remove is the glove box. As this is easy to do although there are no photos! (sorry) screws are located in the places in shown in fig 1. The glove box has 6 six screws and one plastic retaining clip. The plastic retaining clip is easy to get to as its on the side of the glovebox as you open the door. The screws are located inside and at the bottom. The two on the bottom are located on either side and you will need the glove box closed to remove these. The rest are on the top and at the back. There are three at the top and there is one at the rear of the glove box.

Once all the screws are out then the glove box will easily pull out.

Next is the under panel, under the steering column. Again this is easy to remove and has one screw and one plastic clip. The plastic clip is on the side as you open the door. The screw is located next to the centre console at the bottom of the panel

Once the screw is out then pull the cover towards the seats, however again dont yank it as there are wires attached. There is the socket for the obd port and there are the switches for the fog lights. The fog light switches just unclip but the obd port is held in place by angled clips. These can be really difficult to unclip and these are best undone from inside the panel.

Now the most fiddly part removing the speedo. Its fiddly because if not done right it wont go past the steering wheel.

First off remove the shroud, its held in by two screws which are located on facing the dials screwing the panel to the top of the dash. See fig 8. Undo these two screws and the schroud will come out. If your alarm led is attached to there then follow the wire to where it plugs into the alarm or alarm wiring loom and remove it.

fig 8

next remove the screws as shown above and then pull the speedo forward. Dont jerk it as there are a number of connectors attached to the back. See fig 10. these just clip out and each is unique to the hole it fits into.

To get the speedo out you need to tilt it through 90 degrees as fig 9 below which will allow you to access the connectors and also make it easier to remove.

fig 9

One all the connectors are undone then rotate the speedo through another 90 degrees and it should now lift out and clear the steering wheel. You might have to drop the steering column down if its adjustable.

fig 10

If you have an import then there will be an additional box which converts KPH in to MPH. if it was installed properly then it should be removable. If not you can unscrew it but make sure you mark on the back of the speedo which colour wire goes to which terminal.

That should now be all the ancillaries removed and now the dash can be removed.

There are two bolts where the central console used to be, as in fig 11

fig 11

next remove the bolts on the side, there is one on each side as shown below.

fig 12

Next you need to remove the strip across the front of the dashboard on the top as below. This needs to be carressed out of the dash, do not force it as there is some kind of diode attached to it, no idea what it is but its stuck into this panel and needs to be removed once the panel is out. Mine had about 150mm of play in the cable attached to the bottom.

[edit] Don1952 has provided info that this is the Auto A/C Sunload Senor for models with Climate Control.

fig 13

This is held in by a plastic retaining clip which is transparent on top. to remove it open the clip further and pull the diode out of the clip.

Once the strip is out then there are two bolts underneath, which once undone will mean the dash is completely free to be removed. You will need your extension bar for this as a socket and rachet will not be enough on their own. The extension bar is needed so you can get leverage on the bolts.

fig 14

To remove, pull the dash slightly forwards, then to the left or right depending on if your car is lhd or rhd. Pull away from the steering wheel and gently ease the dash out of the car. if there is no give, then there may still be a screw or bolt in place.

That should be it, you should be looking at something like this....

fig 15

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
That's some great info. thx alot. This will become useful in the future :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I just stumbled up on this thread again and I now noticed your fan/ac control unit looks alot better then what's in the SF series. Where did you get that?
I want to know

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
its japanese spec, all the jdm cars have it. its climate control. :woohoo:
I know that. Do you think it's possible to replace the climate control in the non-*** version with one of those?
Or did they make them all electronical in the jdm version and old wire connection for the other SF cars.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont know which parts are different, but I would imagine it isnt just the wiring but other elements as well?

The control box is only connected to the dashboard via hose and an electronic connection.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I dont know which parts are different, but I would imagine it isnt just the wiring but other elements as well?

The control box is only connected to the dashboard via hose and an electronic connection.
Ye, I wonder if it's possible. It would cool if it fits tho :biggrin:

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the great how-to

where is the front end on that vehicle? It looks like there is no engine bay in those pictures :)
I can assure you that the front end was there, Fortunately the dash removal doesnt require removal of the front end of the car :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 Forester
22 Posts
Really GREAT post and pics

Must say that this is a keeper...thanks for the great info and well taken photos.

On a light side, I Got ya though...Saw a wire cutter or pliers in your 2nd and 3rd pictures that was not listed in the tools required list. I am going to officially cite you for...hmmm, I'll have to figure out for what...LOL

Thanks again for a great post

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Saw a wire cutter or pliers in your 2nd and 3rd pictures that was not listed in the tools required list. I am going to officially cite you for...hmmm, I'll have to figure out for what...LOL
should explain there presence. while i had the dash out I wired in an old laptop behind the dash to run a 7 inch touch screen in the top box and needed the cutters to make wires to the right length so everything is hidden away nicely. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts