Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from a 1200 mile trip. I'm more than pleased with the MPG's and the Fozzies driving capabilities on Interstate roads throughout the trip.
However, I had noticed on more than one occasion that while accelerating, 1500rpm+ range, my Sport feels like it surges with a frequency of about half/second intervals. I usually just punch the gas pedal even more and it'll go away.
However, the times I accelerate slowly it would do this.

Yes, I checked the forum and all I could find were posts about the braking or surging feeling at around 15-25 mph. This is not that feeling.

Its hard to explain the exact feeling but if I could explain it, it would feel as if someone was gently pushing/shoving a chair you were sitting in. The chair doesn't move but you feel the motion.

Surely this is not normal for a CVT. But then again, perhaps it may be. I just want to narrow down the possibilities of what it could be so I am more equipped with knowledge when I eventually take my Sport to the dealer for a look-see.

Notes of Interest: I have yet to notice any RPM change during the event, but then again I am concentrated on driving. Typically I have noticed the issue while around the 1500-2000rpm range while gently accelerating; on-ramp or stop lights.

I appreciate any help you folks can give.

-Chris

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2 Posts
I took my first long trip last weekend in my 19 sport. I too noticed a weird pulsing on long uphill grades especially. I thought at first the engine was "missing" or that the gas was not good. It was only noticed on acceleration and on uphill climbs in the mountains. I played with it a bit and realized it only occurred when I had the cruise control on and if I disengaged it and accelerated using my foot it didn't occur. I decided it was just an anomaly associated with the cruise control somehow. It never caused a problem but was unnerving. If I accelerated normally it wasn't present. -

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
632 Posts
I have this problem with cruise control too. I plan to ask the shop on the next oil change. It does not occur all the time, but more likely to occur going up a slight hill with CC on only.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
2,453 Posts
I have no such issues with my 19 and use the cruise extensively on very long trips from North Florida to Northern VA. I would have it checked out by your dealer but it must be reproducible.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Perhaps it's the torque converter locking/unlocking that you feel? I can notice it with very, very light throttle inputs.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Lineartronic® CVT
162 Posts
I think I've felt the same nudge with CC on, but not yet when CC is off. I had surmised that it was just the CC looking for a sweet spot since it doesn't occur when my foot is there on the go pedal controlling speed with CC off?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this problem with cruise control too. I plan to ask the shop on the next oil change. It does not occur all the time, but more likely to occur going up a slight hill with CC on only.
I do remember ACC was engaged on a couple of instances. The other times it has happened was with conventional CC and good'ol fashioned foot on the pedal acceleration. It really only happens at takeoff speeds from red lights, acceleration on On-Ramps to Highways and such. I have plenty here in South Florida.

I have no such issues with my 19 and use the cruise extensively on very long trips from North Florida to Northern VA. I would have it checked out by your dealer but it must be reproducible.
I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. I'm in South Florida. Have taken the 9hr trip to Pensacola a few times and this happened 3-4 times during my most recent trip (last week).

Perhaps it's the torque converter locking/unlocking that you feel? I can notice it with very, very light throttle inputs.
Perhaps, but it shouldn't be locking/unlocking while under acceleration beyond 25mph. The issue I'm trying to explain would be a constant nudge while accelerating. I've had this nudge persist for about 4-5 seconds long; with a nudge every half-second approximately.

I think I've felt the same nudge with CC on, but not yet when CC is off. I had surmised that it was just the CC looking for a sweet spot since it doesn't occur when my foot is there on the go pedal?
The nudge has happened with manual acceleration, CC acceleration and ACC acceleration. I typically floor the pedal a little more when it does happen and it goes away. Sure im trying to keep fuel efficiency higher by not accelerating as fast but that seems to be the only time it happens. I cannot recall that it does the constant nudge scenario when I accelerate quicker.

As mentioned by @securityguy, I will attempt to reproduce the issue throughout the week and go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts