Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the lamps themselves replaceable in case of failure? Or does the entire assembly need to be replaced? A friend has an Acura and apparently the entire lamp assembly needs replacement if one of the lights fails. $1200 for the part.

Just wondering.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
Sounds about right, like a lot of things it's probably repairable but you won't find parts individually. Unless you really know your electronics and can diagnose the failed part, source them and do component level repair.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see ease of manufacture and sealing etc, but LEDs do fail in the real world and as a consumer I'd rather pay $50 for an LED module than $1200 for a complete assembly.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
In the U.S. you are not allowed to service or repair LED lamps (even if they are designed to be serviceable). It's a dumb law that will probably change in the next few years as more and more cars move to LED lamps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that explains it. Not doubing what you say, but do you have a link to this?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Forester CVT
277 Posts
It's "serviceable" in that you'd need to pry apart the front headlight lens from the rest of the assembly, disassemble the projector from the LED module, then figure out whether the LED is soldered to a PCB or if it's wired in somehow. If it's soldered, there's very little chance you'll be able to desolder and solder a new LED on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
im assuming not servicable because im sure 90% of the people out there wont spend the time placing the led chip in the exact spot to prevent beaming opposing traffic per SAE compliance.

people even have difficulties re-aligning their headlights when replacing them with upgraded HID/LED bulbs. which is plug and play.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
Well, that explains it. Not doubing what you say, but do you have a link to this?
Not that I can share with you, lol.

I learned about this during a headlamp design review at work, our upcoming products will have lamps that can be serviced (pull the expensive LED assembly, replace the lens/housing) but we won't be allowed to advertise that because the feds say you're not allowed to service the headlamps.

As for the plug and play bulbs, those are trash and the only reason headlamps need adjusting after those are installed is because they're spraying light in all the wrong places, blinding everyone on the road.

People who install plug 'n' play LED/HID bulbs in a halogen lamp housing should all be marched into an ice flow and pushed out to sea...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You won't get any arguments from me on that point! I've been a member of Candlepowerforums for some time and half the posts in the transportation lighting section seem to be from new members wanting to know the "best LED replacement for my H11 bulb".

That said, it just seems a shame that failure of an LED can require a $1200 dollar bill.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
Lobby your federal representatives and ask them to change the law. Until then, don't break an LED headlamp...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts