Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I've decided on OZ Superleggera 18x8s [ET48] for my wheel upgrade on my 05 FXT. (Had the same on my old WRX, loved em.) Question is, which tire configuration? I'm looking for performance-oriented all-season tires that will do "ok" to "reasonably well" in the wet; no offroading, snow, or autocrossing. (All my track endeavors are strictly on two wheels. :p )

Possibilities (that don't deviate from stock circumference too much):

225/45: Close in circumference (-0.71%). The safe choice in terms of fit / not rubbing. But mediocre tire selection.

235/45: Very close in circumference, +0.65%. Mediocre tire choice.

245/40: -1.69% circumference. My preferred choice. Decent tire selection (e.g. including my preferred Falken ZE512 & Yoko AVS ES100).

Forester STi (pink) springs (1" drop) will be on as well. Stock struts.

I prefer the 245/40, but will I run into clearance/rubbing issues (against struts or fender) with them?

Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing... I'm looking at the Goodyear F1 GSD3 tires.. in this size, the section width is most likely ~9.5".. it's rated at 9.7" on a 8.5" wheel, so my understanding is on a 8" wheel, it'll be .2" smaller...

Anyone ?

I know that 9.4" section width works... a difference of .1" is about just under 3mm, so if it rubs, I'm wondering that I could always run a 3mm spacer...

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
an 18x8 at +48 is already pretty cozy with the stock strut.

a 245 is really pushing it. You may get away with it (depending on the make of the tire), but you may have some issues.

I'm currently working on getting an 18x8 (+50) with a 245/45/18 in there- doesn't look good. The other thing is that you can;t go too low on the offsets on the Forester unless you roll the fenders- even at 8" and +50, the wheel is already fairly close to the fender lip.

I think somewhere between +40 and +44 is optimal for a 245 as a guess right now.

best,

D

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
You're going to be at risk of rubbing, but primarily during weight transitions. Larger swaybars will help.

I say go for the 245. I've fit 255s to relatively stock-suspended STis without rubbing, and the Forester shares the basic geometry. It'll be an experiement... you're our guinea pig. Go to it! :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts