Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 42mm offset be ok? I found a set of 18x7.5" 5x100 42mm rims for cheap.

What do you wheel experts think??

Thanks...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I think you will be okay if you get a 3mm spacer to go w/ it...but would highly recommend getting 48 offset for long term wheel bearing reliability.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hate to correct you, but a 42mm offset will push the rim out towards the fender.

It might rub the fender and your wheel bearings will be under extra stress with that offset which will make them wear prematurly (*spelling).

Bland...

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
bland said:
Hate to correct you, but a 42mm offset will push the rim out towards the fender.

It might rub the fender and your wheel bearings will be under extra stress with that offset which will make them wear prematurly (*spelling).

Bland...
Who are you correcting? Our cars can handle 18x8 wheels w/ a 48 offset. A 6mm difference is tiny.

Vortmax, here is a link for you: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
6mm is less than a 1/4" which seems harmless.
I believe what the guy is trying to say is adding a wheel spacer will push the wheel farther out. By adding a 3mm spacer the offset would then be +39. Am I thinking correctly here? The bigger the number the farther in the lesser the number the farther out.

S

·
0 Posts
you'll be fine...i'm running 18x7.5 48mm offset no problem...and wheel bearings are covered for 5year/60k warranty...i would know i'm a subaru tech...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response guys....I'll only be riding them about 7-8 months/yr. anyway so it shouldn't be too bad...

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
yelnats_J said:
6mm is less than a 1/4" which seems harmless.
I believe what the guy is trying to say is adding a wheel spacer will push the wheel farther out. By adding a 3mm spacer the offset would then be +39. Am I thinking correctly here? The bigger the number the farther in the lesser the number the farther out.
Haha...no, that is right...not sure why my mind was working backwards w/ the spacer:rolleyes:...think the new job is getting me all flustered.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
If you take it in with bad wheel bearings for warranty repair & you're running wheels of a different offset than stock, odds are good it'll be denied (and rightfully so). Just keep that in mind - personally I'd stick with the correct offset given Subaru's history of wheel bearings thataren't the most robust.

·
Registered
398 Posts
toddlamp said:
What size do I need to put on to clear Brembos? It's a 5x100 right?

06 XT.

Thanks.
Todd
Well, that's the bolt pattern...

as far as clearing the brembos, it just depends on the shape of the wheel... not size or offset...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts