Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, if anyone can help me out with my dillema , it would be greatly appreciated. ok , so i found a set of 18x10 et35 grids for very cheap on craigslist. i was planning to do 18x9.5 et 38 grids brand new.. but i could not pass up this deal...my question is can i run this setup with wrx struts/ prodrive blue springs? I am aware that i will need a fender roll, but i just wanted to know if there is a enough strut clearance to run this wide? and also will the inner part of the wheel/tire will rub on the any part of the body( i will take fender liner out.) will i need camber plates? is camber bolts enough? oh and tire size on the wheel is 235/40/18.

oh and the guy selling it to me reassured me that the wheels cleared his 04 sti struts.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
youll have plenty of strut clearnace, but regardless if you roll them they will rub your fenders when you take hard turns. you dont have enough spring to support this setup. and 235s on a 10" wide wheel is RETARDED!

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
sleeperxt runs a 255 and they are stretched. minimum youll need coilovers and 255s+ to pull off this setup... so your killer deal will end up costing you a lot of money in the end...

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
9.5 wide wheels on a street driven Forester is silly. 10 inch wide is rather pointless. All that width = extra weight. 8 inches is as wide as you need .

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
9.5 wide wheels on a street driven Forester is silly. 10 inch wide is rather pointless. All that width = extra weight. 8 inches is as wide as you need .
but then you can't be part of the hellaflush crew!

I know it is the "in" look with the youngster, but I too find it silly. The only reason to go that wide is because you wanted to run some super wide drag slicks for your big HP car.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
i look at it this way:

"hellaflush" and all that crap doesn't really belong on these car IMO. however if people want to run them by all means go for it. get it wide, get it low, get it stretched. hmmm yay! spend that money on the cool fad...

most of the people on these boards running really wide wheels don't have near the power levels to put it to the ground with a real set of tires anyways. same said people also don't actually track their cars on a consistent basis (like time attack or something) where they really need the levels of grip associated with a properly sized tire on a wide wheel.

now if you're going to run the wide wheel, run a real tire on them please! an 18x10 needs at least a 255! you really want the wheel? run the tire and MAKE IT FIT! roll and pull it, make it fit and make it clean. that would look a million times better having a legit, modified fender fitting real rubber/wheel, compared to a stretched, skinny donkey tire...just so you can say "YO i have a 10 inch wheel dawg!"

i apologize, the beer has spoken.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
My personal favorite is the guys who pull BBS wheels off their STi and replace them with some "aggressive" DRAG wheels.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
i look at it this way:

"hellaflush" and all that crap doesn't really belong on these car IMO. however if people want to run them by all means go for it. get it wide, get it low, get it stretched. hmmm yay! spend that money on the cool fad...

most of the people on these boards running really wide wheels don't have near the power levels to put it to the ground with a real set of tires anyways. same said people also don't actually track their cars on a consistent basis (like time attack or something) where they really need the levels of grip associated with a properly sized tire on a wide wheel.

now if you're going to run the wide wheel, run a real tire on them please! an 18x10 needs at least a 255! you really want the wheel? run the tire and MAKE IT FIT! roll and pull it, make it fit and make it clean. that would look a million times better having a legit, modified fender fitting real rubber/wheel, compared to a stretched, skinny donkey tire...just so you can say "YO i have a 10 inch wheel dawg!"

i apologize, the beer has spoken.

Don't apologize, beer is good:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
^^ Yes. Or nice TMIC units because they bought some massive Ebay unit for $100 and the "specs" say up to 100hp increase. There's lots of win out there for people who don't know what they are buying. (Win for me that is :raspberry: )

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Purple, do you have pictures of your car with current wheels on, preferably from multiple angles? My suspicion is it will rub on the fender at least in the back, probably in the front too. The WRX Prodrives are low, you may be able to use spacers to dial in the height.

They will look nice but feel like boat anchors and tramline like there is no tomorrow.

Saw the CL ad, it doesn't look bad on the guy's WRX. Ask him what he did to make it fit, the WRX has less room to work with.

Stan

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,449 Posts
Ok, if anyone can help me out with my dillema , it would be greatly appreciated. ok , so i found a set of 18x10 et35 grids for very cheap on craigslist. i was planning to do 18x9.5 et 38 grids brand new.. but i could not pass up this deal...my question is can i run this setup with wrx struts/ prodrive blue springs? I am aware that i will need a fender roll, but i just wanted to know if there is a enough strut clearance to run this wide? and also will the inner part of the wheel/tire will rub on the any part of the body( i will take fender liner out.) will i need camber plates? is camber bolts enough? oh and tire size on the wheel is 235/40/18.

oh and the guy selling it to me reassured me that the wheels cleared his 04 sti struts.
My trusted tire guy told me 7.5" is the optimal width for a 235 tire. It looks very good on 7" & 7.5" (have both setups). IMO it should be okay on an 8", maybe 8.5", but for anything wider may look strange. You might consider going with a wider tire. :wink:

IOM +38 offset puts the tire out too far. On our '03 X, 235/50-17x7, +40 offset puts the tire flush with the fender, as does the 235/45-18x7.5, +42 offset on my '07 FSXT. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
We are talking about a 10" wheel here, offset isn't the biggest problem :icon_biggrin: I doubt the offset can be any higher with that wide a wheel to fit anywhere.

Purple, for strut clearance, assuming you are running 17x7 48+ offset stockers, get under the car and measure how much space between rim and strut there is now. These Grids will be 25mm closer to the strut, that simple. On the outside, they'll stick out 51mm more than stockers LOL -- herra flush.

Stan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts