41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

· Registered
2007 Forester XT
34 Posts
I havnt heard anything bad about slowboy racing, if i was getting a 16g thats where i would get it

Im planing on a VF39 full 3'' exhaust STI intercooler and a good tuning to hit 300whp. do you know if that will get me there?

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
That site says it has the 8cm housing. So as long as you select the EVO III setup, it appears it should be a comparable product.

FWIW, I ran a 12.5 @ 109 as well on a bigger turbo but low boost and pump as well. Similar supporting mod's but stock block/heads. Blasted 5 spd keeps me from going nuts.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That site says it has the 8cm housing. So as long as you select the EVO III setup, it appears it should be a comparable product.

FWIW, I ran a 12.5 @ 109 as well on a bigger turbo but low boost and pump as well. Similar supporting mod's but stock block/heads. Blasted 5 spd keeps me from going nuts.
I emailed Import Image Racing since they sell Blouch too, he suggested a custom hta68 fp turbo. I asked for more info because I haven't reaserched that Turbo (although some have suggested it on here).

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I'm starting to lean towards two similarly priced turbos.
The Slow Boy Racing Evo III 16g 8cm^2 for $903 or
The FP 68HTA for $885
Seems like the 68 should make more power, but on stock injectors I wonder which will be a more fun street Turbo. The 68hta is supposed to spool very fast. It only comes with a 7cm^2 but I'm not really going to be pushing the Turbo to high boost.
Anyone out there have experience with the 68hta?

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
There's a fair amount of info regarding the 68HTA, search here and NASIOC. Although I haven't messed w/ one personally, I get the impression that although it's a good turbo, FP touted it too highly and potentially tried to oversell what it is (ie; as good as a 20g but in a smaller cheaper package). But it still doesn't change the fact that it's a capable turbo.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
There's a fair amount of info regarding the 68HTA, search here and NASIOC. Although I haven't messed w/ one personally, I get the impression that although it's a good turbo, FP touted it too highly and potentially tried to oversell what it is (ie; as good as a 20g but in a smaller cheaper package). But it still doesn't change the fact that it's a capable turbo.
Exactly, a 20g is way more then I need anyways.
Here's the thread that got me interested.
TD05-68HTA reviews and COBB testing.. - CT Subaru Community
Page 6 at the end are some results on a 04 FXT

· Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,666 Posts
I've looked into the 68HTA, and it is pretty much a cheap 20g 7cm. Certainly not a bad turbo. I've been annoyed though that I can't get a compressor map.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
20 Posts
Dr. Evil, have you done any turbo changes yet? I'm basically in the same boat as you, driving an 04 FXT daily driver, but my target is a very linear power curve, keeping torque and hp in the 300-350 range. So far I've done a VF39 that has the vacuum T from a VF43 (smaller diameter in the bead than standard 39 T), prodrive catless up pipe, Turbo XS TBE, SPT shortram, 255lph fuel pump, AccessPORT map, STI TMIC.

Like you, I'm not totally happy w/ this setup. The 39 is a decent upgrade, but runs out of air at higher rpm. I've also been researching the 16g v 18g thing, and I'm leaning towards the 18g. Ultimately I'd like to have a fun race map, perhaps using meth injection, where I hit 20-22 lbs, but keep it more in the 16-18 range in town. Also like you, I'm considering larger injectors. My stockies have gone as high as an 84% duty ratio w/ my current tune, top peak psi I've seen was 17.3 lbs. I don't think they'd keep up with much bigger, ergo I'll likely do DW 850cc side feeds (not running e85, screw the top feed conversion...). But yeah, just some thoughts since you and I are looking to do the same thing.

Regarding the 16g, I decided not to go that route b/c it seems most people use it with 2.0 motors, not the 2.5. I don't want to upgrade turbos just to feel like I went too small again =/. Also, seems like it would be ideal to do turbo and injectors at the same time so you don't pay twice for tuning, but that's just me.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you decided to do. Hope it worked out =).

Jeremy

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So far I'm still running the stock td04, my funds for the Turbo swap disappeared when my computer died. I've decided on the 68HTA mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll upgrade the air intake and do a new tune and call It a day. I already have a billet flywheel, sti uppipe, catless downpipe, 3" tbe exhaust, and a custom tune. I'll definately post up results when I upgrade.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
20 Posts
So far I'm still running the stock td04, my funds for the Turbo swap disappeared when my computer died. I've decided on the 68HTA mentioned earlier in the thread. I'll upgrade the air intake and do a new tune and call It a day. I already have a billet flywheel, sti uppipe, catless downpipe, 3" tbe exhaust, and a custom tune. I'll definately post up results when I upgrade.
Right on, I'd love to see some specs. I'm still pretty sold on doing an 18g, but perhaps plans will change. However, like you, my car funds disappeared into a knee surgery for the dog =/. Guess at least some things are more important than playing with cars. Anyway, I'll post results as well following my upgrades =)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts