Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,772 Posts
would a used vf52 be a worthwhile upgrade if I can find one for $600-800?
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much to spend on a VFXX anything, might as well get a small 16g brand new from Blouch and it will outperfrom the VF52 at all RPM's.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much to spend on a VFXX anything, might as well get a small 16g brand new from Blouch and it will outperfrom the VF52 at all RPM's.
What would the power range be on a Evo III 16g w/ 8cm2? I'd imagine even that would save me $300-400. Assuming Blouch would make it if I called them up.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well considering that the EVOIII is a 39lb/min wheel and the 18g is a 40lb/min the results would be nearly the same.
Hmm, for the price of the 18g I could get that Evo III16g 8cm2 and a Cobb rsb... wonder why there aren't more xt's with that Turbo combo?

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
I've noticed the prices seem to have fluxed since this debate came into serious discussion last time.

When I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago, I could get my hands on an 18g for about $100 more than an EVO III. When the price spread was that, there was no reason to not go 18g.

Plus, 16g's won't see vast improvements over a VF series, and when a used VF can be picked up for half the cost of a new 16g, then you see the same dilemna that you're having now between the 18g and 16g.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Its a difficult decision but I think I will buy new for sure, so its a matter of which Blouch to buy. I still don't know if I want to spend $1200 for the 18g....

· Registered
222 Posts
If you're on a budget, a vf22 can be really fun.

04XT
ported VF22
stock injectors
tgv delete
stock intake
gt spec headers
maddad dp
stromung midpipe
apex'i n1 exhaust

With 30whp and 50wtq less, this made 13.6 secs and 107mph (I think) at the 1/4. I haven't dragged on the this last tune, but I figure I could get it to make a 13 second pass, maybe even break into the high 12's.

This last tune is about 1 1/2 years old (about 20k miles) and I have tracked the car 3 times since. Going on the 4th track session midmonth.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'm under the impression that vf22s are hard to find.
Although its a different car, my 87 Grand National with drag radials, catback exhaust, and 109 octane tune (stock drivetrain and suspension) ran consistant 12.7s at 101-103mph. I think your trap could be good for mid 12s on a better 60 foot time. I had high 1.7s usually.
Back on topic, 285whp would be fine with your 333wtq! I've heard that's one of the better vf turbos.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I babied my launches - drop the clutch at 3500 - 1.9 60ft to get that time. 300UTOG tires (NITTO 555 Extreme) It was 104mph btw, not 107mph.

Here's a recent vf22 for sale. I bought mine in person and was able to inspect before purchasing. I would suggest you do the same if you buy used. I then ported it myself before installing.

FS: STi VF22 turbo no shaft play! - NASIOC
We'll see in a month what's available, $415 shipped isn't bad. That might be the only way I'd go over a new 16g for $650. Suppose its possible an Evo III 16g could show up used too. Integrity Performance had a 18g 8cm2 and upgraded, so you never know what will be out there next month when I'm close to ready to buy. Could be worse, at least there are choices lol.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd post a link to this wrx wagon with a (I believe) a 2.2l Turbo motor. He's using the td05 Evo III 16g 8cm2 I mentioned. On modified stock injectors and a walbro 255. I didn't read it all but looked like he was close to 300whp on 92 octane. I get 93 here.
FuJi's GF8F5SD - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community
Not a straight comparison but first Subaru post with that Turbo and hot side I've found.

· Registered
2007 Forester XT
34 Posts
Fuji's Impreza Wagon mod list

Engine:
'91 EJ22T shortblock (STOCK)
'03 WRX heads + intake manifold; D-style ported heads & TGV deletes
'02 WRX ECU/harness MERGED via ECS
modded stock injectors; 820-830cc, Walbro 255 FP
Perrin crank pulley
Perrin BIG MAF
Gimmick turbo inlet
ebay TMIC; port matched y-pipe inlets
Greddy Type RS BOV
SBR/Kinetic Motorsports EVO3-16G-8cm IWG turbo; GM [email protected]
SSAC/XSPower 4-1 headers w/ modded uppipe; no flex
x3racing bellmouth DP & SPT catback
Mishimoto Radiator
Crucial Racing 160* thermostat

Driveline:
'04 JDM WRX STi DCCD 6spd
STi FW/PP, ACT sprung 6puck disc, driveshaft, axles, R180, f/r Brembos & SS brake lines

Suspension:
BC Racing coilovers; 8kg/mm all around
jNorth fender braces
WRX 20mm sway bars f/r
custom rear sway bar reinforcement brackets
custom rear diff SOLID anti "clunk" inserts
L&E Fabrications quick steering column
Falken RT615 235/40/17
5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +48mm; 8mm spacer front

It's alot more work than i would do for 285whp

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
He expected 320whp if it weren't a Mustang dyno. Not sure if he has quarter mile MPH to get a better power estimate.
He has a lot of non power mods and a smaller motor right?

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
Smaller motor but better flowing head. This comes back to my comments in the past (on this board and others) regarding the 2.5L's don't flow as much air as you'd expect.

· Registered
2004 Forester XT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Smaller motor but better flowing head. This comes back to my comments in the past (on this board and others) regarding the 2.5L's don't flow as much air as you'd expect.
Thefoos mentioned the heads being a bottleneck on high end boost as well. Guess its good I'm not going for 400+whp :)
108mph is a nice place to be, depending on weight. Not sure his weight with the 6 speed.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts