Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
To answer your original question; yes the big difference is the TD06 compressor housing. 18g's in TD05 housings just don't flow as well. The large majority of 18g's out there, and based on the speedelement pictures, take a 16g setup, pull it apart and shove the 18g wheel in there. It's like putting a bigger person on the same size straw to suck through. Sure, you may get some more air, but you're still choking them off.

On another note, blouch seems to have a pretty good history w/ their turbos except for the few issues w/ the DOM3 turbo's came out. If you're dropping $800+ on something that is somewhat of a pain to install, you don't want to be doing it a second time...

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
Yes, stockers are 550's.

Keep in mind as you've already pointed out, the 18g is only more expensive if you let it be. People keep getting caught up in the mindset that they NEED every supporting mod for a given turbo to max it out. You can do the 18g now, and if you elect to go bigger later, than cough up for the injectors and other mod's. You don't have to max it out.

But it's better to have spent the money on the turbo once, than realize the VF39 was just eh and come back and do a turbo again in a year.

Though I will say the plus of the VF39 is that you can resell it for close to what you have in it typically.

Tuning for the 18g will be no different than doing a VF39.

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention. I've had no problems dialing in up to 820cc injectors to run like stock (except for cold start before 20 degrees, than it's a smidge rough for 30 seconds and that's only because I'm too lazy to go through the cold start map since it's not much of a nuisance).

My point, I wouldn't go through the effort to drop in a 650. If you're going to do injectors, find at least a 700+ to give a little headroom.

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
I've noticed the prices seem to have fluxed since this debate came into serious discussion last time.

When I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago, I could get my hands on an 18g for about $100 more than an EVO III. When the price spread was that, there was no reason to not go 18g.

Plus, 16g's won't see vast improvements over a VF series, and when a used VF can be picked up for half the cost of a new 16g, then you see the same dilemna that you're having now between the 18g and 16g.

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
Smaller motor but better flowing head. This comes back to my comments in the past (on this board and others) regarding the 2.5L's don't flow as much air as you'd expect.

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
That site says it has the 8cm housing. So as long as you select the EVO III setup, it appears it should be a comparable product.

FWIW, I ran a 12.5 @ 109 as well on a bigger turbo but low boost and pump as well. Similar supporting mod's but stock block/heads. Blasted 5 spd keeps me from going nuts.

· Registered
05 FXT
1,354 Posts
There's a fair amount of info regarding the 68HTA, search here and NASIOC. Although I haven't messed w/ one personally, I get the impression that although it's a good turbo, FP touted it too highly and potentially tried to oversell what it is (ie; as good as a 20g but in a smaller cheaper package). But it still doesn't change the fact that it's a capable turbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts