Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please enlighten me and tell me why these seemingly same turbos have over $300 difference in price.
Blouch Turbo Inc. - TD05H - 18G- 7CM2 add in the 8cm housing.
www.speedelement.com - MHI TD05H 18G 8cm2 Turbo: Subaru
Does it have to do with the turbine in the Blouch? Would I need the water line on the speedelement Turbo?
How does this compare? Blouch Turbo Inc. - TD05H EVO III BIG 16G - 7CM2
Looking for Max 300whp, but with fast spool for daily in town driving. I hate to Max out a smaller Turbo as opposed to getting the same power with lower boost on a bigger Turbo.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going 7cm I would get the EVOIII, but if you upgrade to the 8cm hotside then 18g all the way.
I think the 18g blouch I listed is the same that Integrity Performance really likes and I'm leaning towards that Turbo, but why is it so much more then the 18g from speedelement?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
id do the hta68 if you're going to stick w/ a 7cm. if not, the td05-18g 8cm w/ the true td06 housing that integrity performance raves about is another great choice! price wise, the hta is like 300+ bucks cheaper and on pump gas - the 2 turbos will have pretty similar results...

it is said that the 8cm isnt more than 150rpm laggier and has better throttle response. decisions, decisions :icon_wink:

if it were me, id do the fp hta68 and save the extra money for some other mods -l ike injectors!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speedelement Turbo doesn't mention the TD06 compressor wheel or housing the Blouch has, suppose that's where the difference is?
Is there anyone that sells the 16g with the 8cm2?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
Is there anyone that sells the 16g with the 8cm2?
Blouch will do it you just have to call them, they don't list it since 16g's are better suited for a 2.0L and they don't want the 8cm. The speedelement one is just a MHI 18g with the TD05 compressor housing, not bad but the EVOIII wheel is more efficient in the smaller housing. I have not seen a map on the HTA68 but I just don't see how it could be very efficient since it flows more than a 20g in a TD05 housing.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
To answer your original question; yes the big difference is the TD06 compressor housing. 18g's in TD05 housings just don't flow as well. The large majority of 18g's out there, and based on the speedelement pictures, take a 16g setup, pull it apart and shove the 18g wheel in there. It's like putting a bigger person on the same size straw to suck through. Sure, you may get some more air, but you're still choking them off.

On another note, blouch seems to have a pretty good history w/ their turbos except for the few issues w/ the DOM3 turbo's came out. If you're dropping $800+ on something that is somewhat of a pain to install, you don't want to be doing it a second time...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To answer your original question; yes the big difference is the TD06 compressor housing. 18g's in TD05 housings just don't flow as well. The large majority of 18g's out there, and based on the speedelement pictures, take a 16g setup, pull it apart and shove the 18g wheel in there. It's like putting a bigger person on the same size straw to suck through. Sure, you may get some more air, but you're still choking them off.

On another note, blouch seems to have a pretty good history w/ their turbos except for the few issues w/ the DOM3 turbo's came out. If you're dropping $800+ on something that is somewhat of a pain to install, you don't want to be doing it a second time...
That's the basic rule I tried to follow with my 87 Grand National too, but $1200 for a Turbo is going to take more time to buy, but at least I have time before the weather warms up. And its a tried and true Turbo. Any harder to tune a 18g then say a vf39? Can I safely get 300whp out of stock injectors and a walbro 255?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
300whp is possible on any of the turbos you have listed. Its just a matter of how easy you want to make it and how much hot air you want to push.

I like the results I see on the 68HTA, but I have yet to see a compressor map, which keeps me from jumping on the bandwagon. The e316g and 18g 8cm have been proven to be great turbos, and I lean toward using proven solutions given my small budget...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
300whp is possible on any of the turbos you have listed. Its just a matter of how easy you want to make it and how much hot air you want to push.

I like the results I see on the 68HTA, but I have yet to see a compressor map, which keeps me from jumping on the bandwagon. The e316g and 18g 8cm have been proven to be great turbos, and I lean toward using proven solutions given my small budget...
Is it reasonable to think Ill get 300whp tuned on stock injectors, walbro 255, 18g 8cm, sti tmic and 3" catless Turbo back exhaust? I know with more fuel you can Max the Turbo out but I don't want to run very high boost and keep to 93 octane.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
i think youll be limited by not upgrading the injectors. i dont know if 300whp will be possible, the 18g flows a lot more air and needs more fuel to keep up... lol just put it on a high reading dyno, youll get what you want!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured the stock injectors would be good up to 300 with the walbro. Guess ill still get same power as a vf39 on lower boost though. I might look into some injector prices.

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
stock injectors

seems on average reading dynos stock injectors will get you about 285 whp. My last tune with the vf43 netted this, the tuner said with more injector he could have run it up a bit more.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seems on average reading dynos stock injectors will get you about 285 whp. My last tune with the vf43 netted this, the tuner said with more injector he could have run it up a bit more.
That's still an excellent number. You have a stock fuel pump?
I think I have 550cc injectors, what's the next step up, 650? Man the 18g keeps sounding more expensive.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Yes, stockers are 550's.

Keep in mind as you've already pointed out, the 18g is only more expensive if you let it be. People keep getting caught up in the mindset that they NEED every supporting mod for a given turbo to max it out. You can do the 18g now, and if you elect to go bigger later, than cough up for the injectors and other mod's. You don't have to max it out.

But it's better to have spent the money on the turbo once, than realize the VF39 was just eh and come back and do a turbo again in a year.

Though I will say the plus of the VF39 is that you can resell it for close to what you have in it typically.

Tuning for the 18g will be no different than doing a VF39.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention. I've had no problems dialing in up to 820cc injectors to run like stock (except for cold start before 20 degrees, than it's a smidge rough for 30 seconds and that's only because I'm too lazy to go through the cold start map since it's not much of a nuisance).

My point, I wouldn't go through the effort to drop in a 650. If you're going to do injectors, find at least a 700+ to give a little headroom.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe Ill look into 740s down the road, but I think the power I can get from the stockers and a fuel pump will suffice and I can spend money towards a rear sway bar and swift springs :).
At best I'm at 250whp now so there's still a lot of power to be had on these injectors still. I want the wider power band of the 18g rather then the peaky drop off of the td04.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts