Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Blouch will turn almost 2 yrs old in its box, it is about time I bite the bullet and commence the install. Plus driving the car with a Stage 2 map no longer produces the endorphins necessary to cope with my unemployment depression...

The main reason of the install delay has been mostly related to my employment situation. And prior to that I was just too busy with work and could not afford to have the car idle for several days.

Well, now I have the time and a friend offered me her winter beater so I guess the starts have lined up and its time to go Blouch.

As far as money is concerned, I procured most of the ancillary stuff and turbo just prior to my dept. being eliminated, any remaining supporting parts can be purchased with $500 worth of Subaru bucks.

I am currently running Stage 2 Cobb map with 3" MadDad TBE (STi fitment).

Parts to be installed (yes all at once):

Blouch 18G / 8cm2
Spearco TMIC
DW 750 injectors
APS Turbo inlet/MAF hose
TGV deletes (DIY tap and screw method and rib removal)
Grimmspeed 3mm Phelonic spacers
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed EWG with 38mm Tial
Grimmspeed Cross-pipe (DIY ceramic coating)
STi ported and polished exhaust manifolds (DIY port and ceramic coating)
Walbro pump
Iridium Plugs (undecided on one step colder??)
BPV (unsure I need it, 20psi tune??)
Hybrid CAI (Stock box with integrated pipe into fender and high flow AVO panel filter)
Subtle Solutions Splitter
JDM STi scoop
SPT Turbo heat shield bolted to modded stock shield (underside ceramic coated)
Dual Oil Catch cans (already installed, thinking of deleting them, collect minimum oil if any??, see post below)
Tune by Speed Industries in Troy, MI

Questions:

Will the factory elbows and y-rubber hose be used with the Spearco or do I need to buy a Y-silicon hose? If I need the Y-silicon hose, is it compatible with the stock elbows?

Will the Spearco supplied TB coupler work with the TB?

Will the stock BPV be capable of supporting excursions of 20 psi?

Plugs, stock or one step colder? If one step colder, can I buy them at the dealer? P/N?

Can I drive the car off boost (25-35mph) for about 7 miles to the tuner (map Cobb Stage 2). I know I will go into limp mode due to the TGV deletes but that's ok, only concern is messing something up due to high flow of injectors, EWG, turbo, etc. Other alternative is to use my AAA membership and use the free 5 mile towing and just pay the 2 miles difference.

Let the fun begin :discomonkey::rock:

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
ECU won't like the 750cc injectors being in there.

What size APS inlet are you going with? If you're going 70mm, that'll be another source of unhappy ECU.

I'm mixed on the plugs. I switched for my setup, and I'm not convinced yet. They seem to foul up a hair from time to time.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
I did just about the same thing but with a VF48 and had no problem running 40 miles up the freeway to my tuner upon their recommendation. Stayed out of boost and didn't throw a CEL. No TGV deletes for me though. Just ran a tad rich.
I think it really comes down to whatever you are most comfortable with.
Your going to have a blast with the new setup!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Should be fine running the Stg II map for a few miles to your tuner. I had 6 codes (CELs) and drove 30+ miles on the highway to my tuner with no problems. Your supporting mods are similar to mine, but I'm running a VF39, STi tmic, and stock injectors. I drove to the tuner on the Cobb VF43 map.

I also deleted the secondary air pump, since it's just an emissions device, and it's in the way of the spark plugs. If you want to go that route, you'll need to get some KS Tech block-off plates, jerry-rig the barometric pressure sensor, and have your tuner disable the codes. Not really a big deal.

Are you going to plumb the EWG back into the downpipe or dump to atmosphere? If you want a quiet setup, I'd definitely plumb it back in.

If you need hoses, check out Hose Techniques. I had to trim the TB coupler and 90* bend, but they're nice hoses and are reasonably priced.

Sounds like a solid build!

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Oh yeah, don't forget new gaskets for the intake mani, exhaust mani & x-pipe, up-pipe, and down-pipe. :icon_biggrin: I sandwiched the phenolic spacers between two new gaskets. You might also want to pick-up some new vacuum lines for the EBCS and EWG. You'll need 5/32" (4mm) ID vacuum lines for those. I mounted the EBCS on the outside of the bracket and moved some of the nearby plugs and wiring. The Grimmspeed EBCS was too pretty to hide. :)

Now is also a good time to wrap the DP and UP, too.

What are you using for a turbo heat-shield? I have an extra Cobb one if you are interested.

Here's a pic of my setup, if you're curious.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^thx, I am very curious and love pics of others set-ups.
The EWG will be vented to atmosphere (until I get sick of it).
I remember you mentioned removing the secondary air-pump in another thread, brackets of mine are all corroded and I hate looking at it, I may do that later, now I have other more fun install priorities.

Gaskets I bought a complete set from Grimmspeed and Turbo came with the uppipe one.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dual Catch-Can Fiasco

I want to get the catch-cans sorted out before I begin the Turbo install.

07s we must have enhanced baffle system built within the motor to minimize the transfer of oil to the intake. The can connected to the crankcase (left side see first pic) collected only 1 TSP (5ml) of oil in 14,000 miles. The valve cover can (right side first pic) 0ml !!!, completely clean no signs of oil residue inside the car or piping leading to the canister.

What's going on? I spent considerable amount of time and energy sourcing the cans, coming up with a way to minimize plumbing, for heaven sakes, I even bought a metal bender just to fabricate the darn catch-cans brackets.

And all this effort to collect 5ml of oil.

Crankcase case vents to rear can, valve covers vent to front can.

I thought by the discoloration of the clear hose on the crankcase can, I would have collected way more than 5 mils?? The hose was initially clear.

Hope my significant other doesn't see this picture, she will be very upset I used her measuring cup...

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
^thx, I am very curious and love pics of others set-ups.
The EWG will be vented to atmosphere (until I get sick of it).
I remember you mentioned removing the secondary air-pump in another thread, brackets of mine are all corroded and I hate looking at it, I may do that later, now I have other more fun install priorities.

Gaskets I bought a complete set from Grimmspeed and Turbo came with the uppipe one.
Unless you're constantly in boost, you won't hear the EWG. I can easily drive around town without opening the EWG, but that's no fun. :icon_wink: I'm running a 1 bar (14.7 psi) spring in my Tial 38mm, and it starts to open around 3,750 rpm. It's super loud past 4,500 rpm.

If you plan on removing the air pump, now's a good time to do it, since the hoses plug into the back of the motor. Everything will be out of the way with the turbo, TMIC, and intake mani off the car. Just a heads-up... :)

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
why just ask your tuner to do a safemap taking your mods into consideration and have him email it to you and you can load it yourself. This is what I did when i was breaking in my engine for 1000 miles since we couldn't tune on brand new engine but i couldn't break the engine in on my old tune since so many things were different.

atomspheric dump isn't that terrible once you get used to it either. I have a big 44mm tial wastegate and i don't mind it. other drives look at you funny though as you pass them if you are at WOT

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Tussen, did you do injectors too?

Whoops, misread about the inlet. I saw MAF hose as well so I assumed you were doing the intake too. What intake are you running/going to?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tussen, did you do injectors too?

Whoops, misread about the inlet. I saw MAF hose as well so I assumed you were doing the intake too. What intake are you running/going to?
Hybrid CAI: stock box with fender tube extension and AVO high flow panel filter

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more pic of my dual-can set-up, could this explain the small amount of oil in the crank can as the some of the blow-by is routed back into the intake manifold bypassing the can?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My new set-up since no oil collected from heads, I will use the 2nd can to protect the intake instead. Also, I decided to go with an AVO inlet rather than APS due to the extra vent in the the inlet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts