Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the fence between APS or AVO. Ease of installation out of the equation as I will install TGV deletes.

AVO like the 1 piece design vs 3 piece for APS, less prone to leaks
APS like the fact would match my APS CAI.

Also, anyone knows if AVO design has changed in the last year or so, older pics show a beefier construction, latest pic at avoturboworld.com shows a different cheaper construction with taped layers showing thru .

Update: Indeed there is a version 2 AVO: New Silicone Inlet Design, new price!
New AVO Silicone Inlet pipes Ver.2 for the 2002-2007 Impreza WRX and STI. Part number: S2A00G41BBLU •
S2A00G41BBLK • S2A00G41BRED
MSRP: $249.00! NEW Pricing!
Our one-piece Silicone Inlet pipe for the 2002 through 2007 Impreza WRX and STI has been improved for both fitment
and strength! While retaining all of the design characteristics that made it so popular in the first place, our engineers went
back to make some minor changes that will improve fitment around the turbocharger area. Specifically, the kink around
where it mates up to the turbocharger is more pronounced, for better fitment around the TGV area.
We've also upgraded to wire-reinforcing for even stronger overall construction, that will further ensure that it won't
collapse even with the largest of turbochargers!

Before:

Now:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/popup_image.php?pID=145

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
the new avo looks wire reinforced to me. that would be much beefier than just a 4-ply squishy silicone inlet.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the new avo looks wire reinforced to me. that would be much beefier than just a 4-ply squishy silicone inlet.
If you ask me just looks like a design change to lower costs...there is less silicon now hence the need for wire reinforcement.

Anyway, I just placed order for the AVO ver. 2. Will see how stacks up with the older version.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT '06 STi 6MT
707 Posts
well the "old" avo and other inlets like gimmick are not reinforced. you can squish them in your hand and have the possibility of collapsing with high flowing compressors/high boost. the wire reinforcement would prevent this from happening. i say that's a good thing.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the "old" avo and other inlets like gimmick are not reinforced. you can squish them in your hand and have the possibility of collapsing with high flowing compressors/high boost. the wire reinforcement would prevent this from happening. i say that's a good thing.
AFAIK, Samco are not wired reinforced and never heard of them collapsing.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I'm not really familiar with wire reinforced silicone tubing, but is it still possible to install a wire reinfored inlet without removing the intake manifold?

I guess I'd be concerned about forcing the inlet into place and permanently squishing it. I don't know how stiff the wire reinforcing is, though. :shrug:

If the intake manifold is coming off, I'd go with the APS inlet.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Just got my car back from AndrewTech which included an APS Turbo Inlet pipe install and they said that it is incredibly difficult to fit properly. It's a very tight fit and the fact that it's a hard-pipe leaves no margin to play with.

But it is on.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Just got my car back from AndrewTech which included an APS Turbo Inlet pipe install and they said that it is incredibly difficult to fit properly. It's a very tight fit and the fact that it's a hard-pipe leaves no margin to play with.

But it is on.
It is a very tight fit, but once it's on it's going nowhere! :biggrin: "Fits like a glove" comes to mind...

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm not really familiar with wire reinforced silicone tubing, but is it still possible to install a wire reinfored inlet without removing the intake manifold?

I guess I'd be concerned about forcing the inlet into place and permanently squishing it. I don't know how stiff the wire reinforcing is, though. :shrug:

If the intake manifold is coming off, I'd go with the APS inlet.
Picked up AVO inlet this afternoon (version wired reinforced), it is pretty rigid I could not squish it with one hand but it can I guess it could be permanently deformed to fit if forced. Mates perfectly tight to the APS 65mm CAI and no longer need of after-MAF-hose !!!.

I chose AVO inlet over APS inlet to reduce the number of conexions (APS requires 3 additional hose clamps = more potential for leaks). Plus the AVO has the right number of ports (5), APS (4) which forces to "T" the heads blow-by vents.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread but if you could even tell me where you found and APS turbo inlet I'd appreciate it. PM if possible.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread but if you could even tell me where you found and APS turbo inlet I'd appreciate it. PM if possible.
APS merchandise is getting difficult to find, since (I think) they're ceasing to supply the US market. Your best bet is to scour larger forums (like Nasioc). Some vendors over there might have a few in stock.

Whatever you do, do not buy an AP (Agency Power) inlet. It's a knockoff of the APS product, and it's a POS.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
APS merchandise is getting difficult to find, since (I think) they're ceasing to supply the US market. Your best bet is to scour larger forums (like Nasioc). Some vendors over there might have a few in stock.

Whatever you do, do not buy an AP (Agency Power) inlet. It's a knockoff of the APS product, and it's a POS.
I have the Agency Power inlet. I didn't have to install it so it was no headache for me.

Dale, my mechanic *****ed about the install though. "Cheap knock off of the APS one!"

Good luck though OP. I say try to find an APS one. Metal > rubber/silicone.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I have the Agency Power inlet. I didn't have to install it so it was no headache for me.

Dale, my mechanic *****ed about the install though. "Cheap knock off of the APS one!"

Good luck though OP. I say try to find an APS one. Metal > rubber/silicone.
I saw the AP inlet before and after it was installed, and the quality isn't on the same plane. I wish I could do a side-by-side comparison of the two. The APS kit also comes with everything needed for installation (couplers, clamps, fittings, tees, breather hoses, etc), whereas the AP inlet comes with the hard pipe, two couplers, and maybe some clamps. I think the mounting bracket had to be removed from the inlet because it wasn't close to the mounting hole on the intake manifold.

I'd go with APS, Samco, or AVO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts