Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FXT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving the fold. Traded my XT for a Regal TourX this weekend. I enjoyed the Forester, I liked the go anywhere attitude it has and the 250 hp but after logging 57K miles in a little over 2 years the comfort factor just wasn't there. It was the uncomfortable (to me) seats on long trips that were a real deciding factor not to keep it a lot. longer. I will have some things like Findway mats to put up for sale in the for sale section that didn't go with the Forester when I traded it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring cvt
1,081 Posts
Your the second person on this forum that has acquired a TourX. Good luck with your new vehicle.

Hey, cjecpa:

Instead of a TourX I traded my 2015 FXTT for a 2019 OBT 3.6r today. Last of the NA up powered OBs, and I got a good price. Kind of a similar exchange. The 3.6 OB is smooth, nicely powered, and more a wagon. My FXTT was punchy and more agile, but I was ready to get out of a turbo and premium.

I tried out an Ascent to test the 2.4 Turbo that will power the 2020 OB, but while lots of torque and punch down low I didn’t find much difference from the 2.0 DIT.
A little squirrelly with light throttle and liked the boost to be on to feel good.

So tomorrow I’ll let the Forester go, with 47,000 miles.

Hope you find the right vehicle for you. I gave up on the RAV, gas or hybrid.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6M
20 Posts
Congratulations on the the new vehicle, funny you mention the uncomfortable seats after 2 years and 34K miles on my '17 Forester my front drivers seat is unbearable and causing me back pain. I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to look at the seat. Keep us updated on the new ride.
- Jay

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,859 Posts
Hey, cjecpa:

Instead of a TourX I traded my 2015 FXTT for a 2019 OBT 3.6r today. Last of the NA up powered OBs, and I got a good price. Kind of a similar exchange. The 3.6 OB is smooth, nicely powered, and more a wagon. My FXTT was punchy and more agile, but I was ready to get out of a turbo and premium.

I tried out an Ascent to test the 2.4 Turbo that will power the 2020 OB, but while lots of torque and punch down low I didn’t find much difference from the 2.0 DIT.
A little squirrelly with light throttle and liked the boost to be on to feel good.

Hope you find the right vehicle for you. I gave up on the RAV, gas or hybrid.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you get the 0% financing? I have been kicking around the 3.6r I have seen prices discounted as high as $8k on the 2019 MY. I like the ideal of a wagon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Sold my Forester XT this weekend as well. After 15 years, moved on to an Ascent. Needed a bit more space for long road trips with family & dog.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
595 Posts
I'm leaving the fold. Traded my XT for a Regal TourX this weekend. I enjoyed the Forester, I liked the go anywhere attitude it has and the 250 hp but after logging 57K miles in a little over 2 years the comfort factor just wasn't there. It was the uncomfortable (to me) seats on long trips that were a real deciding factor not to keep it a lot. longer. I will have some things like Findway mats to put up for sale in the for sale section that didn't go with the Forester when I traded it.
Did you have Subaru's Eyesight on your Forester? Did your Buick come with their adaptive cruise control? How do the two compare?
Local dealer has a top trim with all the bells and whistles TourX for crazy low price. Thinking of trading the Outback.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
118 Posts
"Local dealer has a top trim with all the bells and whistles TourX for crazy low price."

While Opal makes a decent car, the Buick version has not sold well in the US. I wonder if General Motor's sale of Opal has anything to do with Buick's decision not to advertise the car or to provide adequate inventory for Buick dealers. At any rate, I would carefully consider the re-sale value of a TourX before I bought one.

If you intend to keep it a long time then don't worry about resale. We bought a Volvo V70 wagon years ago knowing that Volvo's don't have good resale value. We still have it. It's 12 years old, has 78k miles on it and is now worth $4,500. It still looks almost new and has given no problems but it ain't worth squat.

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
85 Posts
but you're going from an upright sitting position to more of a car...I would think you would go more for a larger SUV with a captain type chair. I've always had a car and going to a Forrester, i'm never going back to a car type seating position....but maybe a super fuel eff. car for daily drive, but long road trip I need a SUV type seating.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen!:wink2:

·
Registered
2017 FXT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did you have Subaru's Eyesight on your Forester? Did your Buick come with their adaptive cruise control? How do the two compare?
Local dealer has a top trim with all the bells and whistles TourX for crazy low price. Thinking of trading the Outback.
My XT had Eyesight on it. The Buick has their version as well - mine has all the options on it (there are a bunch more options in Europe for things I want but that's another story for another user group). The Buick is a car height wagon with AWD. It's not the go anywhere live through the Zombie Apocalypse vehicle the Forester is but it is loads more comfortable and a bit more refined. It's a good value for the money. Everything else, besides and Outback, that comes close is probably $15K more. If I were in the market for an Outback today I would personally wait until 2020 for the XT Outback for the updated tech and upgraded interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 FXT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but you're going from an upright sitting position to more of a car...I would think you would go more for a larger SUV with a captain type chair. I've always had a car and going to a Forrester, i'm never going back to a car type seating position....but maybe a super fuel eff. car for daily drive, but long road trip I need a SUV type seating.
I have a Honda Element if I want to sit up higher. It is actually a more comfortable vehicle on long trips than the Forester except it has no power for passing on the highway. The seats in the Buick are a ton better to me than the Forester, no 2 ways about it. The Buick is obviously as niche car, not for everyone but so far I like it. I haven't gotten on it too hard as it only has a few hundred miles but it is every bit as powerful as the XT is. The Buick doesn't have the turning circle the Forester had and parking it is a little more of a challenge.

I wanted to love the Forester, I could never get there about the whole car. I loved a few things about and was willing to overlook some of the things I didn't love, but the seats really did me in, I probably should have bought an Outback at the time. I think Subaru is a really owner focused car company and the owners are more enthusiastic about the brand and vehicles - at Buick that's not really happening.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
145 Posts
My XT had Eyesight on it. The Buick has their version as well - mine has all the options on it (there are a bunch more options in Europe for things I want but that's another story for another user group). The Buick is a car height wagon with AWD. It's not the go anywhere live through the Zombie Apocalypse vehicle the Forester is but it is loads more comfortable and a bit more refined. It's a good value for the money. Everything else, besides and Outback, that comes close is probably $15K more. If I were in the market for an Outback today I would personally wait until 2020 for the XT Outback for the updated tech and upgraded interior.
I know its not a "cool" car, but man do I like the sleek look of the wagon.

I was considering one at the time I bought the 2018 XT, but honestly it was relatively new and dealers weren't dealing so I didn't give it a serious thought at the prices they were asking. They look like nice cars with a good feature set. Pricing at list seems too high. Resale isn't great, but if you get your discount up front, and are happy driving it for a bit, its not a bad decision

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
595 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant what's your experience and opinion of the two adaptive cruise control systems. Is one better than the other, likes dislikes, camera vs. radar based ACC, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 FXT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry, I meant what's your experience and opinion of the two adaptive cruise control systems. Is one better than the other, likes dislikes, camera vs. radar based ACC, etc.

Thanks!
So far the Buick system for adaptive cruise is comparable in performance to the Forester once it is set. Both systems will bring the car to a complete stop if needed. Subaru makes it more prominent in the user interfaces by showing you more information on the 2 screens by default. With the Buick you can set the following distance for the ACC as well like you can with the Subaru. Also on the Buick even when the ACC isn't engaged you can display the following distance to vehicle in front of you in terms seconds. I thought that was interesting but not something I've used a lot. The Buick doesn't alert you when the car in front of you has moved and you are still stopped like the Subaru does.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
854 Posts
...Instead of a TourX I traded my 2015 FXTT for a 2019 OBT 3.6r today. Last of the NA up powered OBs, and I got a good price. Kind of a similar exchange. The 3.6 OB is smooth, nicely powered, and more a wagon. My FXTT was punchy and more agile, but I was ready to get out of a turbo and premium.

OB with 3.6 is a worthy trade from Forester.

While Opal makes a decent car, the Buick version has not sold well in the US. I wonder if General Motor's sale of Opal has anything to do with Buick's decision not to advertise the car or to provide adequate inventory for Buick dealers. At any rate, I would carefully consider the re-sale value of a TourX before I bought one.

If you intend to keep it a long time then don't worry about resale...
Agreed, but it's still a Buick and that's a hard pass imo.

Biggest complaint my wife and I have too, are the seats :/
Yep seats (and seating position) in Forester are not that great. My buddies and fellow Subi owners all say the same thing.

·
Registered
'03 XS
190 Posts
Good luck on the new ride Saab.
I am also the other member that bought a TourX. We still have 4 Subarus

So far so good.

I must confess, it feels weird buying a new car and a Buick for that matter, but I'm happily surprised.
We get asked atleast twice a week about it.

I'm not too worried about resale as I plan on keeping it forever.

For 24k It's a BIG bang for my buck.
Hell, the Matrix headlights, engine and AWD alone are 2nd to none at that price.

·
Registered
2017 FXT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see another owner. I'm happy with the TourX so far and it is a good value. Can't wait to take a long trip in it. Everyone who has looked at can't believe it is a Buick. LOL.

Good luck on the new ride Saab.
I am also the other member that bought a TourX. We still have 4 Subarus

So far so good.

I must confess, it feels weird buying a new car and a Buick for that matter, but I'm happily surprised.
We get asked atleast twice a week about it.

I'm not too worried about resale as I plan on keeping it forever.

For 24k It's a BIG bang for my buck.
Hell, the Matrix headlights, engine and AWD alone are 2nd to none at that price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75Y4zV76mg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts