Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XT Auto
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do the works on their forester? Got a quote from the 'pros' and I'm determined to just do it myself. Even if I screw up, it would still cost significantly less to try it again or just buy a whole new fender than pay the 'pros'. At what point does being a pro at this work mean lower prices and quicker results while maintaining quality? It's not like I'm asking to have a single stage classic restored and protected..

Quote as follows:
Paint correction (1step): $700
Clear wrap on front bumper, hood, mirrors, and fenders - $2100
Ceramic coating (10yr) - $1500

Materials would be about 300-400, minus the buffer for paint correction. 12-18hrs of work I'd imagine, depending on paint correction. I'm leaning towards having the shop do that work, as that takes the most skill and precision for prep work but my car is in decent enough shape that a polish would do. The wrapping and coating prices are just hype and gimmick gouging at this point.

If you've done the clear bra on your forester or the ceramic coating, have any tips? i.e. certain edges/curves give some trouble, which pieces on the front end didn't you wrap, doing the coating on the roof around the rack bars and around the rear spoiler? Generally stuff you wish you would have thought out in your head before knees deep in product and process. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I'm a hobbyist detailer that use to charge people to do in my spare time.

Paint correction plus coating is 10-12 hours with my process for light correction. Some of the tips would be specific to the products and the hardware you're using. I use a FLEX 3401 for most correction which is stronger and faster correction but also go through the clear on edges much easier with the right pads/polish combo.

I would stick with the least amount of correction needed. I have heard harbor freight sells a DA orbital that is compatible with many different pads and works well for light work. Otherwise a porter cable is my go-to for lighter work.

For what it's worth those prices sound absolutely insane. I charged roughly 500-700 for the FULL process. The 1500 for ceramic coating application is gouging at its worst. Ask around with other reputable detailers as if you're looking at doing this yourself based on these costs, I think you can find cheaper.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
37 Posts
If you've done the clear bra on your forester
Anyone? Forum search feature didn't turn up much.. I'm about to have mine done. Front bumper fascia for sure. Probably headlight covers. Unsure about the hood, partial or entire?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
I’ve done everything...including doing my own coatings.

10 year coatings???? What are they using aha.

I use CQuartz uk and it lasts about a year+ if you take care of it. Takes dedication though

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
The full hood is so much better than partial. Partial doesn’t look nearly as good and it’s half the protection

1 - 6 of 6 Posts