Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting a hole in the stock geolanders within a week of buying my '10 X-Premium, I learned that to do any kind of off roading I need tougher tires!

I've come up with 2 options:

Keep 17" alloys and install 225/60/R17 Geolander ATS.

Drop down to a 16" wheel and opt for 215/65/R16 General Grabbers.

Does anyone have either of these set ups that can comment? Any other tire suggestions?

If I dropped to a 16" wheel I'd probably want to trade wheels with someone that has the base model steel wheels. Anyone interested? (I'd trade for $400 or so) Anyone have 16" after market alloys they can recommend?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I really like the 16" XT alloys for offroading, they're tough but not too heavy and imo one of the best looking OEM wheels.

The grabber AT2 is a much more aggressive offroad tire, in the same vein as the BFG AT tire. The AT-S is designed to still be decent on pavement, so its better all around but not as aggressive offroad, and its more expensive.

If you're going to a 16" you could try the AT2 in a 215/70/16, as 215/65/16 is the stock 16" tire size for 09+.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've come up with 2 options:

Keep 17" alloys and install 225/60/R17 Geolander ATS.

Drop down to a 16" wheel and opt for 215/65/R16 General Grabbers.
I've looked at another option for when I replace tires (I'm still on stock tires at this time):

Keep 17" alloys and install 215/60/R17 Geolandar ATS.

They're much closer circumference-wise to stock. Also, according to specs, they have wider than stock tread width even though they're 215 instead of 225.

G95A (stock) 225/55/17:
Diam: 26.8"
Tread Width: 6.6"

A/T-S 215/60/17:
Diam: 27.1" (+0.3" from stock, at 65 speedo reads 64)
Tread Width: 6.7" (+0.1" from stock)

A/T-S 225/60/17:
Diam: 27.6" (+0.8" from stock, at 65 speedo reads 63)
Tread Width: 7" (+0.4" from stock)

(data taken from TireRack)

Perhaps there's not really that much difference after all. What's 63 mph vs 65 mph. Still, it also messes up the odometer and mpg readings too.
Gives you something else to consider.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 2.5i
486 Posts
Steelies can be banged back into shape if you happen to bend one, whereas alloys can crack and leave you stranded (plus a 16 gives you a taller tire). I vote Geos for you unless you do more offroad than pavement (Grabbers won't give you comfort or performance on pavement). Geos are more versatile without the sacrifice :cool:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
I used to have an 06 outback sport that i lifted 2" and put bigger tires on. I fitted her with the general grabber at2's since they were the smallest AT tires i could find. after the lift and the AT's i found the handling to be great and the ride was no different than stock. I had also gone down in rim size... from 16' to 15'. here is a pic for ya!

I would probably choose the smaller rim and the grabbers because i got my forester to go camping and to the snow and it would make more since for me... also since i have the experience with the grabbers i know what i would be getting.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! Sounds like the Geolander ATS is probably the best way to go. If I want to do serious off-roading I'm driving the wrong vehicle anyway!

I'll have to decide which size to get... 215/60/R17 vs 225/60/R17. Would a 215/65/R17 fit?? Seems like closest rub point is the front of the rear wheel wells. I have no idea why subaru did that! All these options are close enough in size that I probably should just buy the cheapest!

Just to verify (I'm a tire noob) will a 215 wide tire fit on my stock 17" rims?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
here is a link to a tire size calculator that may help.
www .miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
It looks like the 225/60 17's are 1" larger in circumference. but they are no wider so that is good.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
If I want to do serious off-roading I'm driving the wrong vehicle anyway!
Bingo!

I believe cast wheels on the forester are much stronger then steel ones too. You'd think you'd have to be doing some really rough stuff to bend one where it would fail on you and then not to mention what would happen to your suspension hitting anything that hard. Good choice on the tires too, the Geolander AT/S should work perfect for you.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
I'm looking at getting some tires in a 225/60/17. I haven't seen anyone else on here with that size, some a little bigger, some a little smaller, but I think it would be a nice size to fill the wheel wells a bit more but still give you the room you'd need if you went offroad.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
I'm on ATS 225 60 17. Loved it, no problems with rubbing etc. I'd go for it!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
Ahmad, I saw the pics you posted of your Foz in a different thread. Did you put those tires on before the lift or after? Looks really good... so good that it swayed me to get some new tires in that size.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
^^ I put it on after the lift. However, I do not see any issue even without a lift. Yeah it does look good.. Go for it man!!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I off-road all the time on OEM 16" Geolanders. I've had 2 punctures, ever. One, because I mowed down some cactus trying to get unstuck from a hill. And the second time I was in an arroyo with very sharp pointy rocks. Both times, it was a puncture in the sidewall. Otherwise, I've been rather impressed with the capabilities and endurance of these stock tires over rough terrain. And being that regardless of tread, a sidewall puncture is the same no matter the tire. So whether it be a $400 off-road tire or a stocker, either one would technically need to be replaced if punctured through the sidewall. (although, I've had success with sidewall patches/plugs before, but they're not common and most shops will not perform them).

I would rock some used ones if you can find them, and mount those onto dedicated off-road wheels. You can pickup the 16" XT alloys for $300-$400 or so and look around online or at local shops for 16" size tires and just go to town without worry of destroying your only good set.

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
Yes I have to admit the stock Geo's on the 09's (Geolandar G95) are decent enough for the daily driver. They can still perform off road as you pointed out. I'm not sure about the tons of negative reviews on the older Geo's (G900??) on older Foz, but the newer generation G95 and H/T-S is decent.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I off-road all the time on OEM 16" Geolanders. I've had 2 punctures, ever. One, because I mowed down some cactus trying to get unstuck from a hill. And the second time I was in an arroyo with very sharp pointy rocks. Both times, it was a puncture in the sidewall. Otherwise, I've been rather impressed with the capabilities and endurance of these stock tires over rough terrain. And being that regardless of tread, a sidewall puncture is the same no matter the tire. So whether it be a $400 off-road tire or a stocker, either one would technically need to be replaced if punctured through the sidewall. (although, I've had success with sidewall patches/plugs before, but they're not common and most shops will not perform them).

I would rock some used ones if you can find them, and mount those onto dedicated off-road wheels. You can pickup the 16" XT alloys for $300-$400 or so and look around online or at local shops for 16" size tires and just go to town without worry of destroying your only good set.
My problem with the stock Geolanders was also a sidewall puncture. A/T tires have tougher sidewalls don't they? Also, could you clarify what you mean by XT alloys? Is that the stock wheel on the 09+ XT foresters?

·
Registered
01 Forester 5MT
136 Posts
I am considering one of these two tires as well. For the ones here on the Generals, how much noise do they make on the road?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts