Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to install fog lights on my Forester and I have a few questions. I know people have done what I'm thinking about before so basically I hoping you guys could send me your builds. I want to utilize as much as the stock wiring as possible but don't want the OE housings with the lame 19w bulbs. Is it possible to get all the pieces individually, pick the lights I want and keep the stock wiring without any issues? I am looking for something with yellow lenses and again the less wires I have to run the better.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
133 Posts
So I want to install fog lights on my Forester and I have a few questions. I know people have done what I'm thinking about before so basically I hoping you guys could send me your builds. I want to utilize as much as the stock wiring as possible but don't want the OE housings with the lame 19w bulbs. Is it possible to get all the pieces individually, pick the lights I want and keep the stock wiring without any issues? I am looking for something with yellow lenses and again the less wires I have to run the better.
You should get the Morimoto XB LED's or Luxeon LED's. The housing is a complete Plug N' Play. No need for any splicing or additional wiring. You can throw some Yellow Lamin-X on there for that yellow look you are looking for as well.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
Running Morimoto's, but really rant these. Love the way they look. I want the DD light bar too. Sigh

·
Registered
2008 Subaru
124 Posts
A teensy bit more complicated but oh-so-worth it. Also available in amber.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...novations-fog-pocket-light-conversion-690994/
This. I just installed Squadron-R Sports on my 2016.

You can get stainless brackets and pigtails from Paranoid Fabrications. That's what I did. All other parts are OEM. I got from Jackie here on the forums.

Just don't run them with other cars around. They are brighter than the high beams.
Those are now useless as fog lights. They're now only good for Off-road lights. I'd hate to try to use them for actual fog, or snow. The lack of cut-off would blind you, instantly.

Someone else would have to chime in, but IIRC the cars all have the leads on the harnesses. You'll have to change out the light stalk, and add a fuse to run OEM controls. If you want to override the fog light independently of the low beams, you'll have to jump a relay, but the fog light dash light will not work unless your low beams are on.

·
Registered
2017 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the responses. I'm sorry but I failed to mention that my car did not come with fog lights originally. So I need the switch, relay, bezels and of course the lights. I was looking at the OLM complete kit from subispeed.com is that a decent kit? I don't need or want the brightest fog lights on the road just something that works well and works consistently. It's 260 bucks for the OE kit and from what I've read the OE lights are useless so I'm looking for something in between that and the brighter options everyone has listed here.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
Those are now useless as fog lights. They're now only good for Off-road lights. I'd hate to try to use them for actual fog, or snow. The lack of cut-off would blind you, instantly.

Someone else would have to chime in, but IIRC the cars all have the leads on the harnesses. You'll have to change out the light stalk, and add a fuse to run OEM controls. If you want to override the fog light independently of the low beams, you'll have to jump a relay, but the fog light dash light will not work unless your low beams are on.
not sure why you mention all those were useless as fogs. The JP optical ones I run have one hell of a crisp cutoff and I can switch them to yellow for actual fog. The biggest issue is the fact that you can't turn off the low beams and leave just the fogs on. Given that issue almost all fog lights on the Foresters are useless.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. I'm sorry but I failed to mention that my car did not come with fog lights originally. So I need the switch, relay, bezels and of course the lights. I was looking at the OLM complete kit from subispeed.com is that a decent kit? I don't need or want the brightest fog lights on the road just something that works well and works consistently. It's 260 bucks for the OE kit and from what I've read the OE lights are useless so I'm looking for something in between that and the brighter options everyone has listed here.
Look at the first comments here, it has all the part #s and everything you'll need. ~$115 sans lights (you can get it cheaper if you shop around, it's just easier to have a dealership send all the parts in one swoop). https://www.reddit.com/r/SubaruFore...ter_forgot_to_add_on/?st=JLAPUCTE&sh=e5094e8d

I'll second the Morimoto XB lights. They look awesome both on and off as they're a little blacked out.

·
Registered
2017 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
not sure why you mention all those were useless as fogs. The JP optical ones I run have one hell of a crisp cutoff and I can switch them to yellow for actual fog. The biggest issue is the fact that you can't turn off the low beams and leave just the fogs on. Given that issue almost all fog lights on the Foresters are useless.
Where might I find the JP opticals?
Theres lots of sites I've been to but only dealt with a small amount of them and I just don't know which ones are the easiest to order from.

·
Registered
2017 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at the first comments here, it has all the part #s and everything you'll need. ~$115 sans lights (you can get it cheaper if you shop around, it's just easier to have a dealership send all the parts in one swoop). https://www.reddit.com/r/SubaruFore...ter_forgot_to_add_on/?st=JLAPUCTE&sh=e5094e8d

I'll second the Morimoto XB lights. They look awesome both on and off as they're a little blacked out.
I'll get a price from the dealer this week and go from there. Where would be the best place to buy the Morimotos and is there a yellow lens option?

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru
124 Posts
I didn't see your JP opticals had cut-off. In any case, if they can be run independently, and have a WIDE spread along with nice cut-off, then yes, those would be great for functional fogs.

I can't speak for the non-touring Foresters, but the OEM HID+OEM fogs are a decent matchup. The fogs do add close-up spread and light up the area ~20-50' from the car. I do wish they can be on w/o the headlights being on.

I also wish the LED trim is on full time.. but haven't bothered to rewire.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
62 Posts
I'll get a price from the dealer this week and go from there. Where would be the best place to buy the Morimotos and is there a yellow lens option?
I just got them on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Morimoto Type S XB LED Projector Fog Light: Automotive

You could probably find cheaper on eBay or something.

I liked these guys for parts but that's mainly because they're 1 state over, but you should be able to find a dealership that has all the part #s.

https://parts.belknapsubaru.com

·
Registered
2017 FXT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate everyone's input on this, however the Morimotos or the JWs would make this whole thing out of my price range a bit. I'm not saying they aren't nice but I'm trying to keep the cost at or below the 260 kit from the dealer.
Here's the kit from subispeed I was looking at

https://www.subispeed.com/2014-suba...e-fog-light-kit-2016-forester-xt#.W9JwqraZNnZ

This is everything I would need I just have no idea if this would be a decent kit. I'm looking at the 55watt halogen with yellow housings. If this kit is no good obviously I'd have to piece it together and pick the lights at the end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts