Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2017 Forester in to an independent shop that specializes in Subarus for its 30K mile service last fall. The first thing the mechanic said after he pulled the car into the bay was that it sounded like the engine has a bad rod bearing. The owner told me since it is still under warranty to take it to the dealership which I did that same day. The dealership checked it out and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I just took it in again to the independent shop for its 36K mile service and was told the same thing - the engine has a bad rod bearing. Not sure how to proceed from here. Never heard of a Forester with such low mileage having this problem. But the independent shop mechanics are adamant that it does indeed have a bad rod bearing. I guess I should go back to the dealership and let them check it out again if for no other reason than to have my concerns documented. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,482 Posts
@StevenP
Do you have the extended warranty?
If not can you still get one through Subaru?
You must still be in the standard 3 year warranty coverage, but you are outside the mileage if over 36K.

If you are over 36K with just the factory standard warranty, documenting the issue now may be too late, unless you have any proof, or the original dealer is willing to admit you had previously reported the bearing noise...
There might be an indication on the service record.. "Customer reports bearing noise issue - No trouble found"

If you do have the extended warranty, since you already went through this at the dealership, you might want to take it to a different one, if that's an option for you.
Can you hear the sound yourself? If the sound is discernable, get them to explain what they think the sound is...
At this point, the problem is a "sounds like" so it is still in the realm of opinion, and until the engine fails and is torn down there is no actual proof of anything.

With the extended warranty, you have several years before repairs would not be covered for an engine failure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am just outside the 36K mile warranty. But I think the drivetrain is covered until 60K miles. I do have the extended warranty. I also made sure that Subaru documented the reason I brought it in. I can sometimes hear an odd noise but to be honest I couldn't say for sure it is a noise made by a bad rod bearing.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,482 Posts
An engine failure will be covered up to the end of the warranty period.
If the indie shop was right, it is a bit (very) surprising that the engine continues to operate normally after 6K with a bad bearing...
Have you noticed a difference in the sound, the mileage, oil use, engine performance, etc?

If you take it back to the dealer who already said NTF, I doubt the story you get back will be any different from last time.
That might also be the case somewhere else..
Normally major repairs (a several thousand dollar short block replacement) are precipitated by a breakdown or something more tangible than just a sound.

Perhaps it sounds different than it truly is.
I once had a bike mechanic tell me I had a bad bearing based on the engine sound, but six years later it still ran without any problems, although the noise also went away.

In any case, you should be covered so just drive the car and pay attention to any changes.
If the engine gets toasted, you can say "I told you so" to the dealer who will do the warranty repair.
Subaru has one of the best extended warranties, so not to worry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
diagnosing a rod bearing knock is not too hard, run car to warm, and take rpms up to to 2 to 3k rpms or so, you will hear metallic clicking then light metal knocking sound as rpms climb up , as long a correct oil was used, and changed on time, no super duty abuse , then it is unlikely that a rod bearing is bad already in this new of a car. it does happen, , however it may be the timing chain tensioner is making noise instead. , you listen , ...........have a friend sit in drivers seat, run the car. up to 3 to 4k max rpm,s up and down in rpms, listen closely for metallic knocking as rpms move up,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts