Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was going to do a search on the old site but then it died :x.
Story time!
I have a set of 16" WRX wheels I picked up for this summer, and am starting to look at summer tires early so I can get the right ones once the ski season is over. I have dedicated snows, so I don't need to worry at all about the winter months.
Considerations
-Light off road use: The forester does go on fairly rough off road trails to get to camping/backpacking/fishing/biking/all the other colorado sports. This is not number one on the list, and all I want is ablility equal to my old semi-bald Bridgestone Weatherforce (worst tire evAr) tires who did plenty fine on the stuff I go on.
-On road performance: Once again, what I want is better than my old bridgestone weatherforce. They squealed and slid more than Geosqueelers ever wished they could. 20mph turn on a slight hairpin? They squeeled and slid. Braking on concrete? They squeeled. Barely any water on the road? They slid and got light hydroplaning. New tires need to be better on wet and dry.
-Ride: I really don't care about ride quality.
-Width: not sure how wide I could go.

Any ideas?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
BFG Traction T/A in either the T or H speed rating would be a good place to start, IMO. Price is right, too.

I'd suggest a Yoko Avid V4S if you weren't going offroad, but I've always viewed them as a performance street tire. Never had the privledge of driving on them, however - plenty of folks here are running them, so you should be able to get some decent firsthand accounts.

EDIT: Realized I just recommended all seasons, instead of summers.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a passenger summer tire which is rated for good offroad driving. Maybe a SUV/light truck tire... not sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I overplayed the off-road part. On-road performance is more important, as I'm going to take whatever tire I choose off-road so I'm not too worried :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts