Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5x 4awd
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope its worth it. They didnt force me but $230 after taxes for 15k service.
I drive the sh*t out of my car 2013 subaru forester 2.5x already 18500 miles got it in march.

Synthetic oil change
Filter change
Balance abd tire rotation
Top off all fluids
Lube chasis
Add fuel cleaner?
Cabin filter
Check everything else

I have been doing some offroading through water mud and sand plus commuting 600+ miles a week to work so i think it was worth it.

Any feedback would be appreciated if i am a idiot.

Good news is they installed my f108 fomoto valve now i can add my primitive skids.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I'm curious to know what they lubed on the "lube chassis" part. To my knowledge, there aren't any lubrication points.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
They changed your oil and rotated your tires. Cabin filter is 25 bucks and takes 5 minutes to change. There is nothing to lubricate on the chasis. Toping off the fluids probably took them 2 minutes and I bet they didn't look at the Rear diff.

Genuine rip-off,

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
120 Posts
i personally would not have done it. I'd have gone in asking for an oil change and tire rotation (assuming you get them every 7500 miles). There is nothing to lube on the chasis and I'm sure "topping off" meant maybe some washer fluid and potentially the radiator. They probably made out with $200+ off you for an oil change and tire rotation basically.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
1 Posts
Most times these "service packages" are ways for the dealerships to make money and are not required or even recommended by Subaru. If you think it was worth it than it was for you, but usually you can get the oil changed, tires rotated and cabin filter changed for a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
$230 after taxes for 15k service.

Synthetic oil change
Filter change
Balance abd tire rotation
Top off all fluids
Lube chasis
Add fuel cleaner?
Cabin filter
Check everything else
The fuel cleaner is bogus, IMHO. here's what Subaru says in the OM:

If you continuously use a
high quality fuel with the proper detergent
and other additives, you should never
need to add any fuel system cleaning
agents to your fuel tank.
As mentioned, there are no known chassis lube points unless they're talking about hinges for doors and the hood.

But, if they did everything listed, then it might have been a cost-effective deal. But, did they:

1) Actually check the balance on all four road tires, and rebalance as necessary, as well as rotate?
2) Actually check and top off each fluid:
  1. Brake fluid
  2. Coolant
  3. Power steering fluid
  4. Rear differential
  5. Windshield wiper fluid
  6. Transaxle (front diff and manual trans) or, separately, the front diff and auto trans
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Well, you live and learn and sometimes it's hard to turn down a high pressure sales pitch. But yeah, that was a bit of a rip. However, while you're within warranty period there is something to be said for having a record on file with your dealer for buying various services from them. It cements you as a loyal customer so if you have some problem that is questionable under warranty, the scale is usually more likely to tip in your favor if you're a loyal customer. I just went through this exact situation with my '09. I do my own oil changes and manual transmission + rear differential oil changes, but at 30,000 miles while I didn't buy their over priced 30K service package, I did buy a coolant flush and brake fluid flush from them at that time. I've also bought a new battery from them (coupon made it about same as from parts store), and buy all my oil filters from them. So in August the ignition coil went bad. Just under 36K miles and just under 5 yrs ownership since new (i.e. barely within powertrain). Coil technically not a powertrain component, but they took care of it free of charge. Would have been a $294 job otherwise. Then last month I had it in for noise in the manual trans. Main shaft bearing was dying. Covered free of charge with no questions asked, although technically that *was* a powertrain item.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Agree with Lone Ranger, I normally do my own work, except for plugs and coolant flushes. I don't have any safe way of dealing with the used coolant, and really don't like working in tight quarters on an aluminum head engine. And it does keep up some good will with the dealership.

I also get all my filters, crush washers, and misc. parts etc., off the dealership. They tend to be price competitive and have come through for me when I need something over and above the norm.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
I don't have any safe way of dealing with the used coolant,
Truth be known..coolant can go in municipal wewer systems (not storm sewers) in addition Advance auto takes coolant.

But you shouldn't have to do that for years on the 2014

1 - 11 of 11 Posts