Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer sent me a card saying I am due for my 15K mile service. I see nothing in the warranty book that says anything about 15K except oil change and tire rotation.

I have free oil changes for life as part of vehicle purchase.

They want $169 for the 15K - 24.95(oil change) so for like 140 they do something to the fuel injector service. Sounds like a $140 load of crap.

Car is running great. Just got back from skiing at Snowshow, WV. Cincinnati to Snowshoe and back avg mpg for the trip 29.7. Scanguage rocks :woohoo:

So my question is since Subaru North America shows oil/filter change for 15K is there anything else you guys recommend I change?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,452 Posts
If you're located in the States, register at MySubaru. They have the factory & the dealership recommended services. I'd stick with the factory services & consider the ones from your dealership as optional. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Stick with the maintenance schedule as recommended in your manual (factory scehdule). Dealers offer a schedule that is more frequent on all items, because this generates revenue for their service dept. They are in business to earn money so I do not fault them for this, but it is not necessary.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,583 Posts
It's just a very expensive oil change and tire rotation. They also take a look around and make some adjustments if necessary. The fixed a boost leak when I took mine in for the 15k service.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Dealer sent me a card saying I am due for my 15K mile service. I see nothing in the warranty book that says anything about 15K except oil change and tire rotation.
They want $169 for the 15K - 24.95(oil change) so for like 140 they do something to the fuel injector service. Sounds like a $140 load of crap.
I used to think my dealer's service department was fair and not a "wallet flush" operation - until I opened my mail Friday.

"Your 2009 Subaru Forester should have approximately 14,692 miles and is due for its REQUIRED 15,000 miles service soon. We will change the oil and filter and inspect the following: Brakes/linings/fluid/operation,chassis fasteners, drive axles and boots,ball joints/toe rods/suspension components, engine air filter, cabin pollen filter, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, exhaust system, tires and windshield wipers.

$195 plus taxthen in mouse type any additional parts,filters,fluids determined to be necessary are at additional cost. Tire rotation $6.95 extra.

We recommend a GENUINE SUBARU Fuel and intake system flush service every 15,000 miles to keep your Forester running to factory specs - just $79.95

So -they are going to try and soak me for $195-plus the cost of an air filter and cabin filter (which I just changed myself) plus $6.95 for rotating the tires they have to remove anyway to inspect the brakes, plus $79.99 for a fuel system service the car does NOT need.

I'm doing the service myself and will CHANGE the transmission oil and differential oil, plus oil and filter and engine are filter for a cost of about $65- using synthetic engine oil.

I hate dealer service departments- as they try to scare people into $$$$ bogus services.

Also at the end of the letter -"remember the performing of all required maintenance is necessary to keep your factory and Subaru Gold Extended warranties in effect"

I knew I shouldn't have spent the $900 for that damn Gold warranty FTD!!!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
There are a few more items listed in the Maintenance Schedule’s 15K service.

$195 plus taxthen in mouse type any additional parts,filters,fluids determined to be necessary are at additional cost. Tire rotation $6.95 extra.
Yikes! :icon_eek: My local dealer’s 15K service for the ’09 Forester isn’t looking so bad, although the "*" items (my notation) are of course highly suspect:

15,000 Mile Service (also @ 45K, 75K, 105K miles) [Subaru]

Service Includes:
-Change engine oil and filter
-Install MOA conditioner *
-Install cf5 fuels conditioner *
-Rotate tires
-Lube chassis *
-Replace pollen filter
-Inspect engine air filter
-Inspect brakes, steering & suspension
-Replace fuel filter (diesel only) *​

Price varies by model, please see your Advisor for details

$133.00
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
That pricing def seems kind of high. But like others said, I would check out your service manual and follow accordingly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any Alberta perspectives?

Pretty sure I saw in the dealer that the cost was ~$500, though can't honestly remember what that included. (24000km service)

Will have to check the manual. Funny, you never hear about 'manadatory expensive services' at the purchase time....and I do hope that I don't find this to be a cash maker for them....I don't mind doing what's required, as long as it's reasonable.

I emailed the dealer asking if it was required, as I had an appt for oil change and had received the card. No response...4 days later.

Time will tell!

Cheers,

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
Interesting that I don't see any fuel system or injector "flush" on the factory maintenance schedule but dealers always say this is a must.
15 K miles... Oil and filter change.
Air Filter.
Rotate tires.
Cabin filter.
Inspect brakes.. fluids, hoses, suspension. etc.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,953 Posts
My local dealer’s 15K service for the ’09 Forester isn’t looking so bad, although the "*" items (my notation) are of course highly suspect:
-Lube chassis *
More than just 'highly' suspect. IIRC there are no lube points on a Forester's chassis.

·
Registered
2003 XS
169 Posts
What exactly is a "fuel and intake system flush?" Is this like a SeaFoam treatment? Fuel injection cleaner? In either case, it's not necessary and its a very easy $10 or less DIY task. I'm calling BS on the dealer's 15K service.

It's worth keeping in mind, though, that yes, dealers have an incentive to shorten service intervals but manufactures have an equal incentive to extend them. When shopping for a new car, a buyer is much more likely to purchase a car that requires less maintenence than one that requires more. Just something to think about.

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
You all are lucky. Here in $eattle, the dealers are charging $360 for a 15K service !!

·
Registered
2011 Forester Premium auto
174 Posts
I don't think I've ever taken a new vehicle to the dealer for anything except warranty repairs. A couple months ago I bought a few oil filters at the local Subaru dealer and was shocked at the prices for the various service intervals listed behind the counter. Screw that. The only service I may take it in for is when the spark plugs are supposed to be replaced at around 50K miles (seems sorta early). Looks like a pain in the donkey, lol.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
If you're located in the States, register at MySubaru. They have the factory & the dealership recommended services. I'd stick with the factory services & consider the ones from your dealership as optional. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal
Excellent points and I'm registered.

I used to think my dealer's service department was fair and not a "wallet flush" operation - until I opened my mail Friday.

"Your 2009 Subaru Forester should have approximately 14,692 miles and is due for its REQUIRED 15,000 miles service soon. We will change the oil and filter and inspect the following: Brakes/linings/fluid/operation,chassis fasteners, drive axles and boots,ball joints/toe rods/suspension components, engine air filter, cabin pollen filter, front and rear differential fluid, transmission fluid, exhaust system, tires and windshield wipers.

We recommend a GENUINE SUBARU Fuel and intake system flush service every 15,000 miles to keep your Forester running to factory specs - just $79.95

So -they are going to try and soak me for $195-plus the cost of an air filter and cabin filter (which I just changed myself) plus $6.95 for rotating the tires they have to remove anyway to inspect the brakes, plus $79.99 for a fuel system service the car does NOT need.

I'm doing the service myself and will CHANGE the transmission oil and differential oil, plus oil and filter and engine are filter for a cost of about $65- using synthetic engine oil.

I hate dealer service departments- as they try to scare people into $$$$ bogus services.

Also at the end of the letter -"remember the performing of all required maintenance is necessary to keep your factory and Subaru Gold Extended warranties in effect"

I knew I shouldn't have spent the $900 for that damn Gold warranty FTD!!!
Have to agree with you! IMO a good service interval is somewhere between the dealer's and the mfr's recommended.

More than just 'highly' suspect. IIRC there are no lube points on a Forester's chassis.
x2...don't recall ANY lube points on my Forester or any other Forester or Outback that I've ever looked under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really!???

Wow does it include a tube of K-Y?
Must be, cause that's the only lube point in the whole Forester/owner interface. :/

My dealer wants $79.95 for AC filter srvice (read between the lines, they are going to replace the cabin air filter!), $39.95 for tire rotation (they are going to have the tires/wheels off already for the brake inspection, really!?) and that is it...not real happy with this.

As per My Subaru, here's the 15k service:

Interval: 15,000 miles / 15 month service
Action Description
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited Auto w/nav
898 Posts
As per My Subaru, here's the 15k service:

Interval: 15,000 miles / 15 month service
Action Description
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

I perform my own oil changes and tire rotations. In order to keep my warantey, I keep records of what I do and all the materials I use.

But can I "do" the 15K service myself? How do I document the "inspection"?

I wonder if these "inspections" are only to force DIYers to bring in their car and fund the service department.

That's a lot of money to "inspect".

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Do it the way they do - glance around the undercarriage when they are doing the oil change :) We always did an under chassis inspection when performing OC and tires - brings in business. this was back in the Seventies, the OCI was $9.95. If you want to document ths service, take some digital photos of the visual inspection points, and take measurements of the brake rotor thickness and pad thickness. Do not take the air filter out to inspect unless you intend to replace right then and there, There is no fuel mileage hit with a dirty filter on a lamda engine, only powerloss. In fact you could get IMPROVED gas mileage with clogged filter. This is a major point of abrasive dirt ingestion when opening or closing or replacing the filter panel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts