Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the dealers charging you for this tune up in your area--i just got quoted 300 bucks!

Have 2 more calls in for this one ---yeesh!

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
That seems a "tad" high. My local dealer here in No. VA (Stohlman) has $133 (plus usual fees and taxes) quoted for the 09 Forester's 15K on their service website, and that's supposed to include a new cabin air filter. :icon_biggrin:

The 30K is quoted at $590... :icon_sad:

An alternate tack might be ask your dealer to quote the "factory required service" rather than their "dealer recommended package".

HTH,
Jim/crewzer

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
Funny, I just went through this same thing. Dealer wanted $159 which included
Oil and Filter Change
Install BG Deposit Control Service Kit
Lube Chasis,Door hinges, & Locks
Check All Fluids, belts, and Hoses
Inspect Echaust system and heat shield
Rotate Tires, Inspect & set pressure
Inspect Drive Shaft, CV Joints, & Boots
Battery Service
Inspect A.C. System & Duct Temperature
Clean Lubricate & adjust rear brakes
Reset Maintenance Light/Counter
Road Test for Proper Operation

and upon looking at what was actually required by Subaru this list was way over kill. So then I looked at the usual "3750 mile" service, aka standard oil change.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,083 Posts
for the standard oil change they listed
Oil and Filter Change
Lube Chasis,Door hinges, & Locks
Check All Fluids, belts, and Hoses
Inspect Complete Exhaust system
Inspect tires for wear & Set Pressure
Inspect all lights and accessories
Check for Fluid Leaks
Reset Maintenance Light/Counter
Road Test for Proper Operation

this one for $24 seemed to cover most of what I needed by Subaru so I opted for this and then added on rotate tires which included inspect brakes for $19.99. So for about $45 I covered everything I needed by Subaru which is far less than the $159 they wanted

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,194 Posts
Save your money. If you can change the oil yourself so much the better.

But in addition I would change rear differential oil and if you have auto; drain and fill the Auto Tranny.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
No such thing as 15K tuneup. Just let them do a visual overall inspection "safety check" the car - Like they're supposed to do when they change the oil - FOR FREE !! Do it when you have an OC due - its good to have the car on record if you have to get waranty stuff done. Just suck up the 40 buck oil change ... .

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Just a thought, It might be a good time to splurge to get the front and rear diff fluids changed. Then you should be good to 70-100K mi - if no offroading.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
went to a different dealer--offering a special--got it done fore 75.00 they have now become my go to place as they are cheaper on everything. I like having the "dealer maintained" at trade in---I know most would agree its a joke and costs way too much money to do so. But for me it saved my a$$ in the past!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts