Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was gifted this stereo [ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B7JKZBM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame] to replace the Harmon Kardon and I have a friend whos says he can install it but I just need to get the parts. Can someone please tell me everything I need to purchase to make this work and be optimized? I find this all a little overwhelming lol also do I need to buy a separate harness for steering wheel controls? if anyone could give me the exact links that would be amazing if it was a Canadian distributor that would be even better but I won't push it! Does anyone have experience with this sterio? is it true I can watch Netflix on it??? is their an affordable option for a front-mounted camera to work and I believe this deck can plug into my ECU to see rpm's and temps? is that a different harness also? any help is appreciated. When this was bought it was assumed it was plug and play and not much more cost to it. Again thanks for looking

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
367 Posts
Reactions: bluesox68

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm ok with not reading the vehicle info and I'm fine if the backup camera is not on the deck but is it just an adaptor for the steering wheel control and the actual stereo harness I need? Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
367 Posts
The primary features that need to be adapted if you read my thread are:
H/K amps require RCA low level inputs (Maestro provides)
Steering wheel controls (Maestro provides)
Backup camera retro from MFD to new headunit (custom adapter, linked, plus Maestro)
USB adapter in armrest (cheap and easy, it's linked)
AUX adapter in armrest (cheap and easy, it's linked)

Because that stereo you have doesn't list being compatible with the Maestro adapter system, you may need to figure a LOT of things out to make your speakers work. Without the Maestro hooked up properly, my car only had the dash speakers functional.

IMO - return the stereo for something different, but I'm sure with enough research you can find adapters that can get the job done.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
I would agree with @Blind's last point. Think long and hard about whether you really want such an unconventional and non-standard (and apparently difficult to install), from a non-mainstream manufacturer, that uses Android 6 as its interface.

Personally, replacing my head unit is something I only want to do once, so the cost is secondary to whether it's exactly what I want to meet my needs. You might be someone who's comfortable using workarounds to get an Android device to do what you want (like run Android Auto, which this unit apparently won't do out of the box), but I'm not. I want a unit that works the way I want by design.

Also, I wouldn't be comfortable with an interface that is so visually intensive. I'm an Android tablet user, and the idea of having to navigate a tablet while driving is, to me, downright scary.

Then there's being locked into Marshmallow, a version of Android soon to be four generations old. How long do you expect to be using this unit, and what happens with apps and features that require more recent versions of Android?

Just saying, think it through and be sure this is really what you want to have to live with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts