Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Ltd cvt
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a source for wiper blade refills? I've read reviews, including CU, that claim that they are all the same and replace them every 6 months BUT on every new car we've bought the wipers last 3 years or more and thats on everything from Chevys to german cars to two generations of Subarus. Our Forester's are in the neighborhood of 4 years old and only one is streaking. Our experience is that the oems have always been better for whatever reason. Our blades appear in good shape. So with that, anyone found replacement inserts (not the whole blade) for the original blades? Unfortunately the on-line Subaru specific parts sites list them as discontinued. No point in adding to the mess at the dump if not necessary.

·
Registered
2019 Touring CVT
291 Posts
I replace the entire arm, not much of a savings to just replace the rubber. I get mine at Costco for the fronts. The rear is special. I like Trico exact fit 14-B for my 2015.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,124 Posts
Other members may appreciate the reminder that Subaru's warranty, unlike almost every other brand, covers wiper blades. Mine were replaced free by the dealer each time I took the car in for annual inspection, under the Subaru warranty.

The first set I bought on my own, recently, were a Bosch ICON 17B and a Bosch ICON 26A, based on a recommendation elsewhere on this forum. I installed them last October, and they've been perfect so far through the winter. Note that it's important to match not just the length of the blade, but also the proper tension and curvature for the windshield.

I do expect to get long use from these -- a couple of years, I hope -- but bought them knowing that refills are not sold for them. I'm OK with that; my manual dexterity barely extends to replacing the whole blade, a much simpler process.

If the ability to do refills is important to you, then I'd suggest shopping once for new blades for which refills are readily available (which seems to be an increasingly rare thing). Trico seems to be once such brand.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
652 Posts
Other members may appreciate the reminder that Subaru's warranty, unlike almost every other brand, covers wiper blades.
From the Subaru Canada warranty booklet, under "what is not covered":

"Performance of any normal maintenance service and replacement of any normal maintenance item includes spark plugs, drive belts, wiper blades, hoses, lubrication and replacement of filters, coolant, fuses, worn brake and clutch disc friction material or scored brake rotors or drums, engine performance adjustments, headlight aiming, wiper arm tension and sweep, worn blades or refills, wheel alignment, and other items subject to normal wear and tear are not covered under warranty and are considered the owner’s responsibility."

Oddly, for Subaru US:

"WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades."

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
I installed Bosch Icon wiper blades on my 2015 Forester. I'm very satisfied with them. They were purchased from Amazon.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
180 Posts
OEM are absolutely better than aftermarket. I don't know why, but the blades found at Costco don't last six months before streaking and chattering. I think I read in Car and Driver that OEM blades are better so I started buying them and will never go back to aftermarket.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
898 Posts
OEM blade refill is good, but the blade itself it crap and will freeze/no longer bend at first sign of frost. Something to keep in mind if you see freezing temperature.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Ltd cvt
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OEM are absolutely better than aftermarket. I don't know why, but the blades found at Costco don't last six months before streaking and chattering. I think I read in Car and Driver that OEM blades are better so I started buying them and will never go back to aftermarket.
And that is why I was looking for a refill source. There was a part number but it's marked discontinued.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts