Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm losing tyres to sidewall damage fairly often now, 4 in all, so it's time to look at my options - which are considerably enhanced with 15" rims. There are a few choices I've discovered locally being the Mullins 15x6 Pursuit and from Speedy Wheels:
15x6.0 Sirocco II - 50mm Offset
Estimated retail $215.00 each
15x6.5 Holotype-R - 45mm Offset
Estimated retail $175.00 each

I'm leaning towards the Holotype. Any other suggestions?

I know I'll have to grind the front brake calipers back to make a 15" fit. I think someone on the old forum had done it so does anyone know approx how much I will have to grind off?

With the 15's I get a taller sidewall and much better choice of tyre e.g. Cooper, BF Goodrich etc.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I *think* you can get the 15" Enkei Rally wheels (both gravel and tarmac styles) in 15x6.5 and 15x7 in subaru-friendly offsets. No idea how they'll compare price-wise to what you had in mind, but they'll be stong as heck.

Extra bonus - no caliper grinding required, as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Blitzoid & Mountainbiker for the responses. I'll check for the Enkei and see if available here - even better if no grinding involved :D

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
If they do fit, and work well, be sure to let us know, and more importantly... take some pics!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
What about used 15" wheels from a Forester? They were available in steel and aluminum here in the US on older models. I know some people prefer steel for offroading, since they can be bent back into shape after a mishap, and aren't as likely to crack as aluminum.

I'd also bet that OEM wheels are a bit stronger than most aftermarket wheels, since AM usually tries to make them lighter.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually still have a 15" steel spare from my Outback. I checked at the wreckers and they want more for their wheels than I can buy new! A$250 each for alloy and A$110 each for steel - what a rip-off!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts