Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester S sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I went lapping this weekend and noticed alot of subarus have 15" VW mags.. those mags have +38 offsets...

Now I know I can fit 15" mags on my SF.. I will be running a 205/70/15 All terrain tire.

I want to know, instead of buying Rally mags to fit the WRX bigger brakes.. Whats the offset I need on 15's?

thanks

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Those vw 15s are from vr6 passats and vr6 mk3/4 jettas; 5x100; et38 is going to push out your wheels, and not in a wheel bearing friendly way..
Why not look for some early legacy 15s? they are super strong and built for subarus.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
You'll spend more money and time repairing the damage you'll do to the bearings than if you just go out and buy the correct 15 inch wheels for a Subaru. Where did you go lapping in the winter, Mecaglisse ?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to pass my rally license at st-eustache..
The back race track is 90% asphalt... didn't get much snow here yet
I know about the wheel bearing issues.. but I still didn't get my offset answer..
Forget about the VW mags..
Lets say I have braid or Team dynamics rally mags... what are the offsets required to run with WRX brakes on 15" mags?

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I don't think Offset alone is going to tell you if the wheel fits over the brakes; it is going to depend more on how the inside of the wheel is built/clearance..
the brakes are going to be back at the dashed line in this pic; you are not going to use a low offset to space it outside the wheel diameter.

look at these rally wheels; they are 16s but they are made to clear big brakes;

·
Registered
2002 Forester S sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm I see... so its not Offset.. its how the mold of the mag is designed...

Looks like rally mags dont have that "inside lip"... I'm gonna be going to my friends rally shop tomorrow.. so I'm gonna have a look at how they are made.. he has a bunch on team dynamics on his cars..

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
you will find that there are not a whole lot of ways to fit "big" brakes into "little" wheels..
and the options that are out there are usually the purpose made rally wheel..

check out DI for the rest of us who are trying to do the same thing :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Yes, you need to design a 15 inch wheel specifically to fit over larger calipers. Offset will help but only so much since you can't go too wild with it to solve the issue. Team Dynamics, Speedline, Braid are a few that make them to fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts