Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5L CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

First time posting after using the forum for quite a while to help with DIY maintenance. I am posting today to (hopefully) solve a mystery involving my fuel filter. I am way overdue for a new fuel filter (127k miles) on my '15 2.5L Forester, so I ordered a new filter from the dealer nearest me to replace myself. The filter I received matched all of the photos/diagrams of the part that I found online, so I set about removing the fuel pump and taking it apart to get to the filter. After an hour or so of work and getting covered in gas, I discovered that the replacement filter I purchased is not even close to the one in my car.

After putting everything back together and heading to the dealership, I was told that the filter they sold me is correct and they have no idea why my filter is different. They are willing to take a look at it for a price that I would like to avoid if possible.

So I guess that my questions are:

Does my car have the wrong fuel pump in it? It was purchased as a dealer loaner with 1800 miles on it with no record of a replacement.

Are fuel filters interchangeable and I just have to make what they sold me work?

Let me know if you need any other car related information from me and thank you all for your help! when I finally solve this mystery I will absolutely put up a step by step photo guide for fuel filter replacement if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
1,000 Posts
I dont think most people change these fuel strainers on foresters. Mine is over 200,000 mi without any issue.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,908 Posts
I would call another Subaru dealer's parts counter and see if they offer you the same part number as above.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
May I ask why you’re replacing the fuel filter? From the YT videos, this is a very intricate job. In tank Subaru fuel pump filters seem labor intensive.

I would check with two Subaru dealers and maybe you can call Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl Annapolis Subaru (866) 509-3019. I checked and your part number looks right. Looks like they use this filter across Forester 2015 models. The filter itself is inside the pump assembly. How far did you get disassembling the fuel pump?

Did they use your vin number?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5L CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies! I got the whole pump assembly out and taken apart much more quickly and easily than I thought I would. I am replacing the filter because it's in the service schedule at 72k miles and I missed it the first time around. Three separate dealerships have been called at this point with my VIN and all three have confirmed that the part number I was given is correct. I do think that I found my actual fuel filter on eBay at this link, unfortunately the part number given doesn't match up with anything:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273548165754

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
That replacement mesh strainer is found in-tank under the LHS rear passenger seat. I needed to replace mine last year (33k mls), it was extremely dirty. Unlike the petrol, my diesel does not have an in-tank fuel pump and filter, but the space for it is under the RHS rear passenger seat.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5L CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The procedure is similar to that video, but everything comes apart easily with minimal fuel spillage. It's just a time consuming process. My filter is very dirty after 126k miles, so I am going to order the filter I found on eBay in the hopes that it fits.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
In the YT video above, it shows the lower plastic tank getting the tabs cut. Is this part replaced? or do you re use with that part with the cut tabs?
I may do this at around 90K miles. I try not to let my fuel level get super low to avoid clogging the filter too much.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5L CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not want to cut anything just in case I had to put it back together. The clips were very easy to remove without breaking and the filter was at the bottom. Everything came apart very nicely and was easy to reassemble once I discovered that I was sold the wrong part.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
35 Posts
did we learn anything new about this? My dealer tells me that on my '14 filter is not serviceable, since it is IN the tank. Doesn't seem like an idea to replace the whole tank, unless there is a leak or something.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,908 Posts
My dealer tells me that on my '14 filter is not serviceable, since it is IN the tank.
You need to find another dealer. Subaru's 2014 maintenance schedule says to replace the fuel filter every 75k miles. Yes, it is in the tank but can be accessed by removing the rear seat cushion if it is anything like my 2010.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts