Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 XT is leaking something underneath. I think it might be the CVT transmission. I am somewhat familiar with all the CVT issues (like the 14 not having a filter), and I currently have 78,000 miles on it. 22,000 more miles of warranty on the transmission... I started to noticed small spots on the driveway recently. I got under it today to take some pictures of where the leak is coming from. Can anyone can help me identify what is leaking? The black pan is pretty much soaked, looks like it is coming from up front, but the back is also wet with some kind of oil.

I am taking it in to the dealership very soon to get the brake lamp switch recall fixed. On the phone I asked them if they could check on my transmission while it was in, and the woman on the phone really didn't want to schedule anything for me, even when I told her there is something leaking and I think it is my transmission. So when I show up in person I will be more persistent on them getting it on a lift to give it a visual inspection....

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 2009 Subaru WRX
10 Posts
Definitely get it checked out, could be the pan or the pump seal leaking. My 2016 XT had loose bolts on the pan, dealer tightened and checked fluid level. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
The CVT pan gasket on my 2015 FXT started leaking at about 38,000 miles. They re-sealed the gasket, was good to go. Minor fix for a messy problem.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Since the gasket probably need replacing, that means they will have the pan off and can check for small bits of metal shavings to tell me the health of my transmission. It will also force me to do the transmission oil change, I was trying to just keep it sealed since I do pretty light city driving and mostly highway miles and never towed anything.

As long as the fix is covered under warranty I guess it might be a good thing, have a better idea of the health of the cvt.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
297 Posts
Hopefully its the pan gasket, thats an easy fix. Mine looked like that, and 3x replacing pan gasket later I got a new CVT. Ask them to put UV dye in the fluid when its checked out, possibly before dropping the pan to do the gasket. Eventually thats what lead to finding real source of my leak at the bell housing I believe.

This was early in my ownership of my 2016 XT, noticed the leak just after 4000 and with replacement finally happening at 6700 miles. I too noticed spots of oil on the driveway initially, and by the time CVT replacement happened 2500 miles and 3 pan gaskets later my MPG had taken a big hit and it was not driving the same. So don't delay making an appointment to get it diagnosed.

Hopefully you get a quick solution, although at your mileage I would be hoping for a new CVT, when that warranty runs out its a major $$$ liability, a new one now would be sweet timing IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
Probably not the pan gasket. Same leak on mine at 27K. It was the chain cover seal on the CVT. Remove CVT and reseal. Hasn't leaked since. Now at 59K. We do have the 100K extended warranty on the CVT so it should be covered.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
90 Posts
Probably not the pan gasket. Same leak on mine at 27K. It was the chain cover seal on the CVT. Remove CVT and reseal. Hasn't leaked since. Now at 59K. We do have the 100K extended warranty on the CVT so it should be covered.
Yea, looks like the same type of leak that I had on the 14FXT. Wet pan and drips or clear/orange fluid on the garage floor. Dealer performed a reseal of the CVT pump cover and still bone dry at 58k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts