Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to find OEM leather for the steering wheel. I know I can find OEM leather shifter but have not seen anywhere a leather for steering wheel. Except on some ebay auctions but those are non OEM, just a generic leather covers and will not cover the spokes. Anyone knows where it is possible to get the OEM one for perfect fit?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Unless you swap in an entire steering wheel from a higher trim model, I don't think you are going to be able to get an OEM leather steering wheel.

It is not like a gearshift knob where you can just unscrew the plastic one and screw on the leather one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you swap in an entire steering wheel from a higher trim model, I don't think you are going to be able to get an OEM leather steering wheel.

It is not like a gearshift knob where you can just unscrew the plastic one and screw on the leather one.
That what I was afraid of! Really want a leather wrapped steering wheel...maybe a local upholstery shop will be able to wrap it in leather, will ask around. Don't think I will be able to live with those non oem leather covers sold everywhere, I don't really like it when it's leather around and ends on spokes and leaves them naked....maybe will be able to find a steering wheel off a higher trim somewhere...

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
I can't speak specifically for the Forester but I did swap the wheel on my '09 Legacy for a factory leather wrapped steering wheel from an Outback of the same generation. It was a perfect fit and wasn't a tough install. I'd wonder whether the wheel from other models like the Imprezza, XV, etc might be the same and give you some options when searching. I found mine on ebay for around $50 and it made the car feel much nicer to drive with such a relatively minor change.

·
Registered
2018 Premium M6
348 Posts
I wanted to find OEM leather for the steering wheel. I know I can find OEM leather shifter but have not seen anywhere a leather for steering wheel. Except on some ebay auctions but those are non OEM, just a generic leather covers and will not cover the spokes. Anyone knows where it is possible to get the OEM one for perfect fit?
Not at the dealer... :icon_biggrin:

Not the OEM one... I asked at the parts counter and the factory leather wrapped wheel costs about $450 retail... Plus installation if you don't DIY. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't speak specifically for the Forester but I did swap the wheel on my '09 Legacy for a factory leather wrapped steering wheel from an Outback of the same generation. It was a perfect fit and wasn't a tough install. I'd wonder whether the wheel from other models like the Imprezza, XV, etc might be the same and give you some options when searching. I found mine on ebay for around $50 and it made the car feel much nicer to drive with such a relatively minor change.
Great ideaa!!! I think XV or impreza shares very similar interior and if I'm not mistaken exactly the same steering wheel!!! Yeah will be looking at ebay. There was one used 14 forester leather but it was $300, thats too much. Hopefully something comes up because that leather does make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
35 Posts
Is the 14 Forester's wheel size/diameter the same as the 2013? I really love Wheelskins stuff, but I'm not positive that they've updated their current custom leather sizes to include the 2014s, and I wouldn't mind buying the version for the 2013 if it fits.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the 14 Forester's wheel size/diameter the same as the 2013? I really love Wheelskins stuff, but I'm not positive that they've updated their current custom leather sizes to include the 2014s, and I wouldn't mind buying the version for the 2013 if it fits.
I asked them if it's the same and waiting for their response. Hopefully it's the same and will fit!!! I will update after getting info from them.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT AT
60 Posts
If it was my money, I'd just replace the wheel with a factory leather steering wheel. Unless you're a professional or someone with a lot of patience (I'm not), the Wheelskin type wrap isn't going to be perfect.

The 14+ wheel in the Foz is the same as 10+ Legacy/Outback and the 13+ Impreza, I believe. Should be able to find one for about $300, which to me is totally worth it.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
35 Posts
If it was my money, I'd just replace the wheel with a factory leather steering wheel. Unless you're a professional or someone with a lot of patience (I'm not), the Wheelskin type wrap isn't going to be perfect.

The 14+ wheel in the Foz is the same as 10+ Legacy/Outback and the 13+ Impreza, I believe. Should be able to find one for about $300, which to me is totally worth it.
Thanks, that's perfect information - I appreciate it. I'm noticing the 2014 Foz shares several accessories with the 12-13 Impreza as well, which helps when I'm looking for other options.

As for the sew-yourself element of Wheelskins: It's true, it is not the easiest path to take, but for the price, I've been impressed. I've done at least 2 other wheels so far and had good results, at least, results I'm happy with. Not quite OEM, that's for sure, but a very good fit. It just takes patience and a bit of strength - make sure you pull the threads very very tight while you're in process. So, I'm okay with it. But you're right, it is absolutely not for everybody, and can result in a relatively ugly wheel if done wrong.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for your valuable info guys!!! I've found leather wheel from 12 impreza for a price little higher than wheel skins cover! And it comes complete with cruise and bluetooth controls , I will just need to pop in my airbag and mount the control for trip computer! Will update once I will receive it!
Searching on ebay for 14 forester steering wheel gives you not much results, but once you put impreza and legacy you have plenty of options!!! Thanks again for this great suggestion!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YEAHH!!! Got my leather wrapped wheel!!!! Very excited to put it on, hopefully will have time on this weekend!!!! This is takeoff from Impreza not the Forester, so I hope everything fits and bolts on the exact same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
109 Posts
Congrats, I'd be willing to bet that it's going to fit perfectly; that was my experience with the outback wheel on my legacy and it's just like factory original.

I don't know about the steering wheel on the Forster but the install/uninstall on my legacy amounted to removing two screws from the back of the wheel that held the airbag in, unplugging the airbag, unplugging the wiring for the steering wheel controls, using an impact driver to loosen the big *** nut that held the wheel on, gently pounding the wheel off with my hand, removing a bit of plastic work from the back of the original wheel, and reversing the process. I'd be careful since it seems like there was some sensors in column that were near the wheel and were for the VDC and obviously airbags can be scary to play with; don't take this as a full step-by-step write up on how to safely change out the airbag or wheel, but it's a quick summary of my experience as I recall it from a few years ago.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks BryanS!
I think removing the air bag will be the most difficult part here. I've found nice youtube video showing removal procedures on the previous model
and right away I've got something unexpected. On 2014 there is no bolts to unscrew to pop out air bag! I was looking and looking and only what I could see are some metal clips. I've looked on the steering wheel I got and it has same clips on it, so it is easier to understand how it works when it's off the car. So basically there are 3 clips that holding air bag and those need to be pushed to pop out the air bag. It's going to be tough!!! Now I'm guessing those needs to be pushed simultaneously!!!! And probably subaru has a special tool for it!!! Don't think it will be safe to push each side and let air bag hang on other two until next one is pushed. So I'm kinda stuck here. I will try my best to see if I can do it, but it is definitely harder than a previous generation. I wilsh they would keep the torx screws.
I'm sharing the picture here to see how those springs work and how you need to push them. It is surely seems easy when you have your wheel in hands, it's not so easy when it's bolted there. I just hope it is safe and ok to remove one by one (total 3) pins of airbag and not all at the same time.
here's the picture showing with screwdriver where the pins are and how to push them:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts