Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. The rated capacity for towing on the 14XT is very low. I'm wondering if anyone out there has real world towing experience with the XT turbo yet?

Peter

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Forester Manual
14 Posts
Sales guy at my dealership has one with a hitch but I have never seen him tow anything with it. Haha

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
I have an 8x12 trailer which I've towed a few times. I've carried my 350 lb Maxi-scooter and my son-in-laws Honda Shadow. Barely noticed I was towing. Of course I kept my speed to the trailer manufacturer's recommended maximum (90 km/hr). I've also used it to haul my 45 foot dock out of the water for the winter without problems. I guess it depends on what you want to tow, where and for how long. I haven't tried extended towing yet - only local.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an 8x12 trailer which I've towed a few times. I've carried my 350 lb Maxi-scooter and my son-in-laws Honda Shadow. Barely noticed I was towing. Of course I kept my speed to the trailer manufacturer's recommended maximum (90 km/hr). I've also used it to haul my 45 foot dock out of the water for the winter without problems. I guess it depends on what you want to tow, where and for how long. I haven't tried extended towing yet - only local.
Thank you.. I have about 1350lbs of bikes and gear I want to haul to the woods..

·
Registered
2014 Xt touring Cvt
174 Posts
OK.. The rated capacity for towing on the 14XT is very low. I'm wondering if anyone out there has real world towing experience with the XT turbo yet?

Peter
I don't think it's the power or brakes. I'm sure you can haul 2500.

Cvt is gonna break faster though.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's the power or brakes. I'm sure you can haul 2500.

Cvt is gonna break faster though.
Would it be better to use the manual mode in S or S#? That would take the pressure off the CVT to find the right rev point..

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6 speed manual
201 Posts
I've towed my 17' sailboat (650 lbs) on its 300 lb trailer without issues...one could potentially tow more; just need either surge or electric brakes on the trailer (it's not the power/torque so much as it is the BRAKE capacity), at least on the NA model with a stick....dunno about you turbo/CVT types
MJ

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT Touring CVT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess what I'm looking for is sense of how the XT behaves with 1500lbs behind it.

·
Registered
2014 Xt touring Cvt
174 Posts
I mean the base model has a 2500 lb capacity correct? And that's with smaller brakes and a lot less horsepower.

Probably behave normally, aside from your transmission working overtime. Who knows how long it will last, nobody has tried for any length of time.

·
Registered
2014 XTP CVT
57 Posts
I think its just as much to do with the trailer than the car. I have done about 2500km with the XT towing about 300kg (680lbs) at 110km/hr and had absolutely no problems, didn't even know it was there.

Have also towed about 800kg of trailer & cargo (braked tandem axle trailer) around the city and found it pretty uncomfortable. The trailer not only bounced the back end up and down a lot but jerked the car a lot when braking.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
975 Posts
I regularly tow a boat and trailer which together weigh 900-1,000 kg (2,000-2,200 lb) and the 2.5 N/A does it without problems so a XT should do it with ease.

In Australia the XT is rated to tow up to 1,800 kg (4,000 lb), however, they come with transmission coolers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts