Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual Trans - the only way to go!!!!!
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checkin to see if anybody has the same issue:

My beast is the '14 2.5i premium 6mt with stock head unit - when the iphone connects it streams music beautifully....just as it should. When I have google maps running, the voice commands come through the blue tooth over the music.....brilliant!!

The issue is that when the phone connects - it automatically starts playing music when on the BT setting....I have not found a way to stop the music and only hear the google maps voice commands. If I stop the music on the phone, the head unit reads "mute" and thus cannot hear the voice commands from Gmaps... Has anybody found a way to hear the voice commands from maps without music streaming over BT???

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Just checkin to see if anybody has the same issue:

My beast is the '14 2.5i premium 6mt with stock head unit - when the iphone connects it streams music beautifully....just as it should. When I have google maps running, the voice commands come through the blue tooth over the music.....brilliant!!

The issue is that when the phone connects - it automatically starts playing music when on the BT setting....I have not found a way to stop the music and only hear the google maps voice commands. If I stop the music on the phone, the head unit reads "mute" and thus cannot hear the voice commands from Gmaps... Has anybody found a way to hear the voice commands from maps without music streaming over BT???
This is a common problem across many phones and head units on vehicles. See this thread, with an Android user having a similar problem.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/bluetooth-bt-automatically-kicks-off-music-player-232474/

I believe there is a utility available on iOS to correct this, but it requires you to jailbreak your phone. That option wasn't available to me as mine is a work phone, so I did the next best thing. I added a 5 min silence track to the phone, and I play that in repeat mode whenever I want to use turn-by-turn directions without music. It's a hack, but it works.

While I have some songs on my phone, my main music source is an old iPod Touch that's plugged into the USB port. If you have one kicking around, it's worth plugging it in. iPod integration works better than BT-A. The UI gives you more control, and I believe the sound quality should be better over the hard-wired connection. You'll still need that silence track though for when BT-A is enabled.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I think I found out a related issue the other day when making a Chinese food takeout order. I had the Bluetooth on listening to music from an iPhone 5 w/iOS6 installed, using the phone in hand, I dialed the number, but the person on the other end could not hear me until I shut off the HU. Weird I know, chalk it up to a learning episode.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
14 Posts
I use Waze , (it is a great satnav software and is acquired by Google last year) and you have option to route the voice to phone speaker (Still song will pause while navigation guides you)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts