Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
9k on my 17k 2.5i Touring. 28-32 mpg per computer, 26-30 actual miles driven per gallon pumped. 50/50 around town/highway driving. The throttle percentage is usually less than 20% around town acceleration, which is pretty conservative but adequate.
Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone experiencing better mpg with increased mileage on their 17's? Currently at 1500mi. Not expecting anything drastic. Maybe 1-2mpg better? Currently getting the stated 22mpg with mostly City driving...
I'm also in SoCal getting around 22mpg with lots of b2b traffic. A little over 5k on the Odo. Did much better on a trip to Monterey and back, maybe 26+.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys. Just got a 2014 XT premium with 43k miles on it. I am hoping my MPG improves or perhaps the computer is not calculating it properly? It says I am averaging 19.4 MPG which kind of sucks... I filled up the tank when I picked it up and have done about 60/40 Highway to town driving. I don't feel like my foot has been that heavy...I was hoping for at least 25 on the highway and over 20 around town. I think I need to measure the actual mileage when I fill up next (have to figure out how to reset the trip odometer lol) Anyway, your figures give me hope. I'm coming from a 2008 Legacy 5 speed which lacked power but I got 25 town / 30 highway MPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is my biggest gripe with my 2015 Forester besides maintenance price gouging at dealerships. I drive a mix of highway and city streets on my daily commute. Supposedly it will get 24 in the city and 32 on the highway. I am lucky to get 21 MPG most days and it's not uncommon to average 18 MPG. I have never gotten 32 MPG unless I'm on a highway that goes downhill, best I've done on a flat highway at 65 mph is 31. Okay I get it if you have to deal with multiple stop lights you aren't going to get the full MPG, but having between 3-6 MPG knocked off doesn't seem right. I've heard that Subaru grossly exaggerates the stated gas mileage. Seems to be the case after reading these posts.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Based on my 2018 Forester's information screen I had 26.7 MPG on my last tank, but when I calculated it myself, miles driven divided by gallons at fill up, I was at 24.4, pretty big difference in my opinion. Gonna check this on future fill ups too at different gas stations.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2017 with about 8,000 miles on it averages around 26-27 MPG (on info screen). Hand calculation is pretty on par. Will try some other gas stations, like @dirtyduke but always trying to keep top tier fuel in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is my biggest gripe with my 2015 Forester besides maintenance price gouging at dealerships. I drive a mix of highway and city streets on my daily commute. Supposedly it will get 24 in the city and 32 on the highway. I am lucky to get 21 MPG most days and it's not uncommon to average 18 MPG. I have never gotten 32 MPG unless I'm on a highway that goes downhill, best I've done on a flat highway at 65 mph is 31. Okay I get it if you have to deal with multiple stop lights you aren't going to get the full MPG, but having between 3-6 MPG knocked off doesn't seem right. I've heard that Subaru grossly exaggerates the stated gas mileage. Seems to be the case after reading these posts.
Same with you. I think being in California also has a lot to do with it. We have crappy gas and a lot of hills to roll up and down and that makes the MPG terrible, compared to the EPA numbers. I'm in an XT, but the point is I've never gotten near the EPA estimates, no matter how hard you try. And the computer always calculates the MPG by +2 MPG. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll weigh in...re my 2015 XT, owned since Sept 2014.
I've just turned the clock on 35,000 and religiously track using Fuelly.
Average is 23.4 mpg.
Best is 26.8...all-highway multi-day road trip.
Worst is 19.8...heavy traffic in a snowstorm!
65% city driving/35% highway.
Daily commute is <6 miles each way.
Mostly use S...rarely use S#, though I do have a heavy foot...LOVE the turbo!
Always use premium, usually 93 octane, from the local QuickChek, which is very busy so its always fresh.
Usually fill up right around when the low-fuel light comes on, with say 50 miles remaining...because I find the gauge to be, let's call it 'speculative'...same with computer mpg calc...I'd say around 2 mpg optimistic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2018 ftx

From what i seen, the fuel consumption varies greatly with how warm the car is and whether its windy or not. It takes awhile to get to operating temperature and have torque converter lock up. This affects MPG greatly. On long trips of 50+ km the fuel economy is stellar on mostly highway drive, usually close to 8.5 litres, i have seen as low as 7.5. Now if its windy and we take short trips, its pretty damn bad. Anywhere from 10 to 14 litres depending on the distance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 14 XT and I'm getting anywhere from 22-25mpg and I drive mostly city.. Long road trips of all highway I'll get 26-29mpg. Anybody ever use a whole tank in S# and see their mpg then? I'm always tempted..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my '14 XT since February, and using the drivvo app, I show 19mpg average over 125 gallons of 93 octane. I drive about 50/50 City/highway. The highest tank I've gotten was 21mpg. Not too happy with it, but I was coming from a Silverado getting 12mpg, so I see this as an absolute win.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do a lot driving in San Francisco, CA. So, the mpg of my XT is pretty much dismal. Blame it on the hills. My son's school is just a block away from Sutro Towers. Imagine the MPG taking him up there? OOF! Averaging every single morning, 11 - 15mpg. It was like that, the past few months. So I decided to take an easy like there's a rare egg on the gas pedal. Now, I averaged 14 - 17 mpg. Ok, at least, that's better. I like driving fast, though.

My wife and I decided to test drive new Subarus, the Crosstrek and the new Forester 2019 models. I forewarned her that it makes barely a difference in mpg if we drive all the time in SF, CA. Maybe 2 to 5 more mpg. After driving the Crosstrek on a long hill whilst pedaling the gas very nicely, return mpg is ok, just a BIT better (leaving a space between my index finger and thumb by 1/4"). I reminded her that on freeway, our car and the new Subaru should be fine.

We took a look at the new Crosstrek Hybrid Plug-in. Very nice. But, the most inhumane and ridiculous mark-up just show up on the price tag, $60k!?!?! #fts! Highway robbery at it's best.

Anyhoo, final conclusion, mpg is poof when one lives in SF. Unless one have a Tesla or some other hybrids, then, one's ok.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts