Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(14) Forester- Wheels Spacers- to do it or not?

Hi,
I was researching wheels spacers pros and cons and there are a lot of different/mixed info about this topic. I decided to start new thread because I haven't seen any info specifically about 14 Forester.

I'm thinking to get hub centric spacers that bolt on to improve stance and appearance. I personally think there is a gap that may be filled with wheel/tire and I believe it will look way better if wheels will be pushed out. It is almost like buying new set of rims with more offset as far as I understand and it should work fine I hope. I'm thinking of something like this

4 Pcs 1" inch 25mm 5x100 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 56 1mm Adapters 5LUG | eBay

However I've have never done that before on any of my cars, especially considering Forester's symmetrical all wheel drive. I was wondering would there be a negative effect on it? I've seen a lot of Jeeps done it with success. Has anyone here have done it to your forester and was there any difference in driving or fuel economy after installing spacers? Of course I'm talking about high quality hub centric bolt on spacers. Is there any brand/model that is the best that you can recommend?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
I can't comment on the '14 specifically but its not a drastically different car so I think my results will still apply.

I have used spacers and will be using them again soon for my upcoming project. Just make sure they are hub centric and wheel centric. The ones you linked to will work great.

The one problem I had with ordering spacers for a Subaru is that the thread pitch on the lugnut is 12x1.25. Most of the spacers are 12x1.5. That becomes a problem because you need new small lug nuts (like what the spacers come with but wrong pitch) to clear the back of the wheels. Then you also need regular lugnuts but now in 12x1.5. So just make sure the thread pitch is correct on what you are buying or be prepared to buy two extra sets of lug nuts!

Here is a link to what I did with them:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...els-your-5x100-forester-dont-try-home-110581/

A little different idea but the same result.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't comment on the '14 specifically but its not a drastically different car so I think my results will still apply.

I have used spacers and will be using them again soon for my upcoming project. Just make sure they are hub centric and wheel centric. The ones you linked to will work great.

The one problem I had with ordering spacers for a Subaru is that the thread pitch on the lugnut is 12x1.25. Most of the spacers are 12x1.5. That becomes a problem because you need new small lug nuts (like what the spacers come with but wrong pitch) to clear the back of the wheels. Then you also need regular lugnuts but now in 12x1.5. So just make sure the thread pitch is correct on what you are buying or be prepared to buy two extra sets of lug nuts!

Here is a link to what I did with them:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...els-your-5x100-forester-dont-try-home-110581/

A little different idea but the same result.
Thanks a lot for your answer FXTSPORT!!!! Your wheels on the provided link looks awesome! Great job fitting those to your car! I'm glad to hear this worked for you great and I have now to check the thread pitch as per your suggestion. Worst case I will have to buy two sets of lug nuts, first shorter lug nuts to fit inside the spacer, and second set regular that will fit on the studs of the spacer that will bolt the rims on ( in case they are not 1.25). Other than that it looks pretty straight forward mod. Hope I will achieve the look I want without any side effects of vibration or any excessive wear on bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts