Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over in the pet peeves post, I listed the lack of rear lift gate obstruction detection (when closing the lift) as my pet peeve. neallv was kind enough to point out that page 2-36 of the manual indeed discusses touch sensors for this exact purpose.

I have tried to test the feature but was unsuccessful. Has anyone seen this in action? Does anyone have pictures of the sensors ?

I am expecting this behavior but no luck so far..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NeS8a2vNC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I'll try to activate them today, and report back what I find. You wouldn't think it would be hard!

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
I played around with it its not very sensitive. If it hits your head and bounces it reverse but to my knowledge if you swoop your hand while its closing it doesn't stop.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Ok, tried to get the gate to reverse, and it does! To test, start the gate closing, let it run for awhile, grab the bottom corner of the gate (for the most leverage) and hold it. The motor will struggle for a bit, then you should hear three beeps, and it will reverse direction.

As lcrazyaznl noticed, it's not super sensitive. The motor will fight you pretty hard before giving up. I wouldn't want to get anything caught near to the hinge of the door and the motor would give it a very hard squeeze before reversing.

There's also the touch sensors on the edges of the gate. I've poked and prodded them a bit, and haven't gotten them to react. That makes me curious, as I'd expect they'd be hair-triggers.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
I haven't got the side sensors to work. I think they need good contact. But a good pull on it will reverse it, no matter where you grab and pull. And today, I had a backpack that wasn't all the way inside. The gate beeped and reversed. My climbing buddies kinda like the auto liftgate too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think mine is broken. I've tried everything from pulling, pushing and even placing items in the way.. Nothing stops it. If anyone wants to post a photo of sensors or video of reverse working I would appreciate it. It would be good to have something to show dealer just in case.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
I'll do a video tomorrow when there's light. I went out there again to see if I could get the "touch" sensors to work, and they certainly don't do anything if you touch, poke, prod, squeeze, or caress them. Maybe by touch they mean the type of touch you get when you walk fast into a door, not touch like an iPod Touch.

·
Registered
2006 2006 & 2010 Forester automatic
2,245 Posts
I'm actually glad Toyota didn't over nanny the Sub auto lift gate.

The ones on Toyota minivans and SUV will try your patience...and you HAVE TO USE THEM.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Touring CVT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
neallv, thanks for the video. I finally got it to work but had to use a lot of resistance. It felt as though the gate only stopped because it detected my resistance as opposed to my mere presence. I still think this is very dangerous for little kids and animals, neither of which are capable of supplying such resistance in an emergency.

BigBopper, thanks for the diagram, very useful.

·
Registered
2014 Foz Ltd CVT
310 Posts
neallv, thanks for the video. I finally got it to work but had to use a lot of resistance. It felt as though the gate only stopped because it detected my resistance as opposed to my mere presence. I still think this is very dangerous for little kids and animals, neither of which are capable of supplying such resistance in an emergency.

BigBopper, thanks for the diagram, very useful.
So, just operate the lift-gate manually when kids and pets are around.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just wish it had a bypass like others have. A rear door kill switch in the glovebox is quite common. I like having it for groceries or loading a big object, but when I take the dog to the park I'd rather have it disabled.

·
Registered
2014 forester 2.0 xt cvt
46 Posts
How should the sensor meant to work? Is it by pressing the rubber trim? Do our window have the sensor too?

Oh why my tail gate doesnt close smoothly? When it is about (1/4) left to close , the gate seem to drop (jerk) alittle but it still close fully. Is it normal?

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The sensors are those large black pieces that run the length of the gate. I haven't been able to make them work, so I'm going to ask my dealer about them when I take the car in for service tomorrow.

The gate in my car travels smoothly through the travel range, but it does slow down near the bottom of the sequence.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
The dealer tried out a few obstruction tests on my car during it's first service, and they feel the sensors are working normally. It just takes a lot of pressure to activate them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts