Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into adding a bit of under body protection to my 2018 2.5i Base Premium Forester. I believe the current under guard is plastic but I see that Subaru offers steel and in come cases aluminum under guards for the engine, transmission, muffler and differential. These offer a significant savings over the aftermarket protection and since I plan only moderate off road use and not rock crawling or racing I was wondering what opinions members had of these options.

I do see that from pictures the diff protector looks like a "this looks cool" mod as opposed to anything that would provide any real protection since the supports look pretty weak.

The Subaru part numbers are:

Part Number: E515SSJ000 Engine Under Guard - Steel
Part Number: E515SSJ010 Engine Under Guard - Aluminum
Part Number: E515EFL201 Subaru Forester Differential Under Guard - Steel

From https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f139/subaru-under-guards-questions-789753/ I see that the steel is 2mm ( a little over 1/16") and the Al is 3mm (a littl under 1/8") kind of a toss up for strength.

These designs are admittedly not the "slide over rock" types on the after market but is that really needed.

Anyway what do you think?

·
Administrator
17,343 Posts
For your purpose I think they would be fine. Forget the rear diff protector - not needed as that is the strongest part of the car! I have only ever had an engine sump guard and the car has done a lot of serious rock climbing. I do have a fairly substantial dent in my fuel tank though ;-)

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tour.. 6spd MT
98 Posts
Part Number: E515SSJ000 Engine Under Guard - Steel
Part Number: E515SSJ010 Engine Under Guard - Aluminum
Part Number: E515EFL201 Subaru Forester Differential Under Guard - Steel
Will these Under Guards fit 2014-2018 Forester? I thought they were only for 2019 and newer? If I'm wrong great, I'm getting one for my wife's 2016!

·
Registered
2018 Forester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a major bummer since they are significantly less expensive than the after market skid plates. I might just have to buy one and see what the difference is and whether or not it is usable.:wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts