Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, my spark plug sockets have finaly arrived so I am going to service the car tomorrow. I have never serviced a car before so it's all a bit new to me.
I know it's not hard but I cant find a basic service guide on here anywhere, so I need to ask a few questions.
I have oil filter. fuel filter, air filter, a set of NGK platinum plugs and some oil. I'm thinking I may as well do the coolant as well, Whats the ratio of coolant/water? I will do the brakes in a few weeks. Is there anything else I should look at while I'm there? Bearing in mind that over the summer I intend to clean/replace all components under the bonnet bit by bit.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,489 Posts
I go 50/50 with the coolant.
4 ltr of oil.
Never done fuel filter but i hear its a PITA.
Spark plugs are fairly easy IMO but people have had some real trouble getting to them.
Hoover out the air box when changing the filter.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Fuel filter is easy as long as you depressurise the system. Either run the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed, or do like I did and just leave the car overnight and change the filter before running the engine again.

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
remember when changing coolant turn your heater to hot fill it sssslow and i mean slow less chance of air locks then

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
remember when changing coolant turn your heater to hot fill it sssslow and i mean slow less chance of air locks then
On Subaru's the Heater core is full flow, therefore doesn't need the heater turned to hot - temp is controlled by flaps not a water flow valve.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, How much liquid in the cooling system? As in litres of coolant and water together.

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
Make sure you fill the oil filter with oil before fitting it ...you will have to keep topping it up until its full .

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Fuel filter is easy as long as you depressurise the system. Either run the engine with the fuel pump fuse removed, or do like I did and just leave the car overnight and change the filter before running the engine again.
So where is the fuel pump fuse? The last time I changed the fuel filter on my Legacy I got sprayed in the face with gas as I took off the fuel line off the filter. I have a Forester now and should probably change the filter... my friend drove my car till it ran out of gas last week and it just doesn't seem to run right, now.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
So where is the fuel pump fuse? The last time I changed the fuel filter on my Legacy I got sprayed in the face with gas as I took off the fuel line off the filter. I have a Forester now and should probably change the filter... my friend drove my car till it ran out of gas last week and it just doesn't seem to run right, now.
Just let it sit overnight. Its also possible the pump is failing now, mine began failing and then when ran dry it killed it.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,799 Posts
Thanks everyone, How much liquid in the cooling system? As in litres of coolant and water together.
So I take it you haven't looked through the PDF file I attached in post#2:confused:

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No. I havnt got round to it yet, what with constantly having to take the missus shopping. :icon_redface:

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Just let it sit overnight. Its also possible the pump is failing now, mine began failing and then when ran dry it killed it.
Well filter change went well, no gas in face, Thank you. But now there is a problem, two days later it no longer starts, so I believe you're right about the fuel pump.... And wonder of wonders, a friendly mouse family built a nest right on top of the pump access, and their wonderful presence rusted everything, I don't know if I can get these nuts off without breaking something, and the already tough hose connections will probably be tougher!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts