Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2.0 XT Lineartronic CVT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to wire up a few extras properly in the Foz so wanted to know if anyone can advise me on the following please.
1. Best point to pick up a Permanent 12v feed inside the car, centre console, (i.e. Not switched via ignition) thought there must be one at the radio?
2. Best point to pick up a switched (via ignition) 12v feed in the engine bay?
I could go hunting around with a voltmeter but thought I'd ask if someone's already been there? Preferably without too much strip down either!
Btw, 2006 XTEn
Cheers

·
Registered
2018 Not saying.lol forwards and backwards
1,223 Posts
What additional extras are you thinking of? As its all well and good taking a 12v feed from another source, but if the current draw exceeds the amps allowed for the wiring you will constantly pop fuses and worse case it could be a fire waiting to happen.

·
Registered
98 sf - gls manual
1,119 Posts
as said above, depends what you want to power, i usually use the cigaret lighter feed for one or the other depending if its ignition 'swithced' and have on many occasions run a perminant live from the battery as there are a zillion fuse type options for sale out there.
and yes always put a fuse in both options,

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
Might have to look at your wiring diagrams a bit, but fuse No.10 is a constant +12V and is not utilized for anything in the car. It is a 10A fuse.

On my 2002 Impreza I tapped it for my key ring illumination mod, here's where I tapped into it:

I haven't checked if the SG Foresters have it in the same place or not, but it's a great constant +12V source.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 XT Lineartronic CVT
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many Thanks for your reply Nepbug, very helpful with diagrams and pic's an all:Banane35:
All understood about current draw and fusing guys, I'm not putting anything in that would draw a heavy load but will of course use inline fuse where necessary.
Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts