Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a new '14 Forester 2.5 Premium with CF625UM radio. My second Subie (wife has '12 Outback) after having Audis and VWs forever.

Quick question if anyone knows: Would the underseat '12-'13 subwoofer work with the Premium non-navi radio? Would it be plug-and-play like the installation instructions state? That would be ideal! :bananapartyhat:

Or would I need to make custom adaptors and wiring?

I'm not a total noob, but didn't really want to start messing with wiring and custom systems. I was trying to keep things as stock/factory as possible.
Any help would be awesome! You guys rock. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Cars with the CF625UM still use the same style of 20-pin power/speaker harness as previous years, so it will work.

Just be sure that your sub's T-harness includes wires on all 20 pins. Original versions for 2009-2010 Foresters (and 2008-2010 Imprezas) omitted wires on a couple of pins that 2011-up models now use.

Does Subaru offer the under-seat sub as an "officially sanctioned" option for your year and model? That would give you a little extra confirmation that the older subs will work.

The only other issue you might run into is the sub's metal bracket not quite fitting correctly for your seat bolts/rails. But people have usually been able to bend them to make them work, even fitting the sub under the opposite seat.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SVXdc! That is way more info than I have been able to gather so far. Subaru does not have officially have a subwoofer for the 2014 Foz yet, so I was trying to see if I could get the 12-13 one to work. Plus, I was trying to get it under the passenger seat, not the driver's seat. Sonically, I think it should be better.

My only other question is regarding the actual sound quality of the factory sub. Basically, is it even worth it? Or am I better off purchasing a Kenwood, Focal or Clarion underseat sub?

I'm not looking to rattle teeth just fill in the low end on a pretty crappy factory setup. I have had JL Audio tens in various cars and love their dynamic sound. I don't want to lose cargo space, but was looking for some more bottom to my music. I spend a ton of time in the car.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
282 Posts
under the passenger seat may be better too just because of the height of that seat. lots of room underneath especially with no power seat over there.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
My only other question is regarding the actual sound quality of the factory sub. Basically, is it even worth it? Or am I better off purchasing a Kenwood, Focal or Clarion underseat sub?
If you dig a little on here and NASIOC, you'll find numerous threads where people say that the OEM under-seat sub is underwhelming.

Before you bother adding a sub, you might want to start with these adjustments:

(the Forester CP625U1 is sister to the Impreza CZ624U1)

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess now I can show the wife the "scientific" research I did regarding the crappy stereo when she asks me why I'm tearing up my new ride to put in a better system. Thanks again.:woohoo:

·
Premium Member
2014 XT Premium CVT
191 Posts
I feel the same way you do about JL Audio subs. I have an 8" Microsub and it just fit under the cargo cover, with some trimming of the foam tray. Initially, I had wanted to put the sub under one of the seats, but even the 6" Microsub couldn't fit under there. I was a little worried about how it would sound under the cargo cover, but honestly, it sounds amazing. No rattles, just deep, solid, well balanced bass. I had the whole system, with speakers and underseat amp, installed at a local shop because I have zero experience with car audio installation. They also threw in a little bass control knob where the seat heater button would be, making it really easy to adjust the sub on the fly.

So, if you can convince your wife to go with it, know that it will be totally worth it!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The JL Audios are great subs, aren't they? I love the way they sound.

Yep, looks like I'll be going the JL Audio 8" route in a small box in the cargo area somewhere, try to keep it hidden and out of the way as much as possible. Maybe make a custom box for one of those cubbyholes in the back.

Time to get in mad scientist mode....:biggrin:

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just wanted to update everyone on what I chose to do (for now) and how I arrived at my decision. Maybe someone else is in the same predicament I was in: Dad with 2 kids, kids' gear, and no space for subwoofers in the back, but I wanted better sound.

The stock system is pretty crappy right off the bat, but after a few adjustments, it sounds OK. I have made all the adjustments to the radio I could based on the recommendations from various posters here and on NASIOC. The sound is definitely better than it was before. Where the stock system fails, is trying to ask the mids to play bass and sub-bass (ha!) from the stock speakers. That's where the muddy, crappy sound comes out.
Unfortunately after you make all your adjustments to make the highs and mids sound right, the lack of any true bass becomes apparent. Most people at this point would choose to change the HU, change the front speakers, and add amps and subs. Great, if you have the space and budget. I wanted to lose little to no cargo space and I didn't want to lose all the great factory connectivity advantages. I also didn't want to spend the money replacing everything I already had.
I chose to add the Clarion SRV250 underseat subwoofer under the passenger seat and hooked up to the stock stereo. Mind you, it is NOT a replacement for an 8" or 10" in a sealed box (my favorite way to get bass), but it does add enough of the low end to make the stock system listenable and enjoyable. It's a compromise I was willing to make. The Clarion has a nice gain control on the remote and it is definitely used, especially from source to source, i.e. CDs, Satellite, FM radio.
Overall, I added what was missing from the stock system, lost zero space in the vehicle, and only spent $140 on the subwoofer. For me, that sounds like a winning solution.
Thanks to you all for all your input and suggestions; it's really appreciated.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6 Speed Manual
2 Posts
Carnut4life -
I will probably do similar to what you did... same reasons. Thanks for the info! - Some questions though, Did you install the unit yourself? - Did you splice the factory speaker wires, or is there an output for RCA level on the back of the factory HU? If you spliced - did you create/use a T, or just cut the factory harness?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I am very interested in this as well. I have the nav in my limited, and already replaced the front door speakers. I would like to add a sub, as that is the missing piece, but dont want to break the bank, or spend 10 hours taking the whole interior apart.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
I don't think Carnut4life ordered one from me (nobody mentioned that was their username), but I do have "breakout" harnesses that will allow you to install a sub or external amp without having to hack into the factory radio harness.

I've had a version with the Subaru/Nissan 20-pin style harness for a long time, and just recently had a batch made with Toyota-style harnesses -- used on the newer OEM Fujitsu Ten nav HUs (and some Legacy/Outback non-nav HUs). For more info, contact me by e-mail (not PM) for details (see my homepage).

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium HTCVT
60 Posts
In case anyone is interested in doing this, I installed the 2013 under seat subwoofer / Amplifier in my 2015 XT Premium yesterday. It wasn't as easy an install as it was on my 2005 Legacy, but it I got it in and it works well. I put it under the driver seat.

I have the port installed Kicker tweeter and speaker upgrades and I think that the sub does a decent job of adding a bit of bottom end to the system.

A couple of things to consider:
I wasn't able to use the metal mounting bracket. However, the sub fits down inside a little well area so its fairly secure. I attached it to the carpet with some heavy duty velcro strips and it seems pretty secure.
There are HVAC ducts under the seat that will be slightly restricted by the enclosure. When I put my hand down by the seat bottom I still feel air coming through though.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Cvt
5 Posts
Did the 2013 oem sub/amplifier kit come with all the cables to make it completely a plug and play instillation? How difficult was it to run the cables and how much time did it take?
Glenn

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium HTCVT
60 Posts
Did the 2013 oem sub/amplifier kit come with all the cables to make it completely a plug and play instillation? How difficult was it to run the cables and how much time did it take?

Glenn
If you buy the unit with the part number H630SSC100 it comes with two cables. One that fits the premium head unit, and another for the nav unit. I don't have a nav head unit so I can't speak to that model, but it integrated seamlessly with my XT premium stereo.

From start to finish I'd say it took me about 2.5 hours to do. The cable drops down out of the console right where the seat belt buckle is, you won't notice it. The 2013 mounting bracket doesn't work with the new floor pan so you'll need to buy Velcro or some other device to strap the sub down under the seat.

It's not too difficult of a mod, if you're reasonably handy you should be able to knock this out no problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Forester manual
2 Posts
Clarion CF625UM head-unit, does it have RCA-cables for amp/subwoofer integration??

If you buy the unit with the part number H630SSC100 it comes with two cables. One that fits the premium head unit, and another for the nav unit. I don't have a nav head unit so I can't speak to that model, but it integrated seamlessly with my XT premium stereo.
From start to finish I'd say it took me about 2.5 hours to do. The cable drops down out of the console right where the seat belt buckle is, you won't notice it. The 2013 mounting bracket doesn't work with the new floor pan so you'll need to buy Velcro or some other device to strap the sub down under the seat.

------------------------------------------------------

Guys, I plan on incorporating the Clarion-srv250 subwoofer to the stock Clarion CF625UM head-unit. I'm glad it sounds simple since "The cable drops down out of the console right where the seat belt buckle is"... but just to confirm, it this RCA-cables? or speaker-adapter cables for subwoofer hook-up??
Please advise, thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester Lineartronic® CVT
41 Posts
I love the idea of this little sub but I am not so sure I want to DIY the install. Anyone know what a far price for an install would be at a shop??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts