Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of doing the 105k service at a mileage of 98,000. I posted a thread about lack of engine power before. I thought the problem has gone after I changed rear diff. fluid. However, the similar thing came out again the next day.

My local dealership said that it will cost about $600 for timing belt change and so on. They said that they will not replace the water pump unless there is a need. Will it be okay?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
You should always replace the water pump while you're in there. There's really no reason not too... if it fails at a later point, it'll be $$$ to tear it all apart again.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I agree, If you are paying some one to replace the belt have them replace the pump.. Labor cost money and if they are there its really little extra to change it.. If it starts leaking in a few months you have to pay to tear it apart again..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
515 Posts
Interesting. When I asked the dealer about the upcoming timing belt replacement, I asked if they shouldn't just do the water pump while they're in there. He said they don't replace it unless it needs it. He said in the several years he's been at the dealership, he has seen maybe three water pumps need replacement.

Unless Subarus are notorious for bad water pumps, I'm inclined to skip it if it's not needed. In my nearly 40 years of driving, I think I've owned one vehicle that needed the water pump replaced. But maybe I've just been lucky.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,741 Posts
Subarus appear not to be notorious for bad water pumps, and we have heard of similar reports from other dealers. But the downside risk is high. It's not so much the risk of it leaking, which would be expensive to fix due to all the labor associated with opening things up, but one of it seizing, which breaks the timing belt, which then breaks the engine. I've been there (with a non-Subie). It's what got me to buy my Forester 6 months ahead of schedule (so it wasn't all bad).

Most of us consider it a wise insurance policy to thank the water pump for 105k miles of faithful service and let a new one take over the job.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd definitely replace the water pump. It may not be needed at 105k, however it probably won't make it to 210k, and its much easier to just do it while you're already in there doing the belt. I'd replace as much on the front of the engine as you can while its all apart. A lot of the seals, tensioners, pulleys etc may look fine when doing the belt, but will likely have issues soon after so its always a good idea to replace them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,152 Posts
It's not so much the risk of it leaking, which would be expensive to fix due to all the labor associated with opening things up, but one of it seizing, which breaks the timing belt, which then breaks the engine. I've been there (with a non-Subie).
Reward: (not replacing pump) = small
Risk: 500 extra to replace pump. and/or $2000+ to replace everything and repair bent valves.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
I'd definitely replace the water pump. It may not be needed at 105k, however it probably won't make it to 210k, and its much easier to just do it while you're already in there doing the belt. I'd replace as much on the front of the engine as you can while its all apart. A lot of the seals, tensioners, pulleys etc may look fine when doing the belt, but will likely have issues soon after so its always a good idea to replace them.

Right! Every vehicle I've owned needed a water pump at 150K miles. Never had one seize, they just leaked. Bearings are bearing, and they go out.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
657 Posts
The water pump bearing does more work than all the other bearings in the idlers and pulleys, yet they get replaced and you wait for the pump to actually grenade?

Could you detail the logic used to come to this decision?

S

·
Registered
2003 Forester X
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for your advice.

So I should replace the water pump.
Timing belt, camshaft belt, and A/C belt.. they are what I can imagine to be replaced. I presume that the timing belt is a sealed one, while the others are exposed in front of engine?

Is there any other things that should be replaced?

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Thank you guys for your advice.

So I should replace the water pump.
Timing belt, camshaft belt, and A/C belt.. they are what I can imagine to be replaced. I presume that the timing belt is a sealed one, while the others are exposed in front of engine?

Is there any other things that should be replaced?
The waterpump is ran by the timing belt.. So most of the labor you are paying it so get to the timing belt but once its off replacing the water pump is little extra labor.. So its wise to do it.. The have to remove the other belts to get to it so no extra labor..

But on the other hand, I do all my own labor, its my hobby and I am retired. I have all the tools and a heated shop.. So I did mine this week and did not replace the water pump as the bearings were quite.. We could hear a bearing noise in the front but it was the idlers.. So replaced the three of them and the tensioner was leaking so replaced it.. But the car is an around town car only.. Travels less than 5000 per year and only 2 miles from one end of town to the other.. And most water pumps fail at 130,000 to 150,000 and for our extra car thats 6 to 10 years.. Odds are we will have sold it long before then.. Or I will be back in there for some other reason any way..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
515 Posts
So it would seem that if I were comfortable doing the labor myself, something like this kit would include everything I 'd need? Is that a reasonable price for the parts?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS Automatic
159 Posts
Look to pay about $300 for the whole shebang, including the front accessory belts.

Here was my price breakdown for an '04 XS AT:

$160 Gates TCK304 Timing Belt Kit (Belt + 3 idlers + tensioner)
$45 Gates 43527 Water Pump (21111AA23)
$5 Water Pump Gasket (21114AA051)
$25 OEM Thermostat (21200AA072) and Gasket (21236AA010)
$23 Oil Seal Kit (2x 806732150 cam seals + 806733030 crank seal)
$7 Oil Pump gasket (10991AA001)
$20 Dayco 5050350 Belt for alternator and power steering (809218270)
$15 Dayco 5040353 Belt for AC and idler (73323SA001)

Got the timing belt kit and accessory belts on Amazon, everything else on eBay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts