Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning for a spring 105k service on my 2004xt
I bought it about 3k ago, not much clue as to the service history. my gas mileage is ~15mpg, and next year i may start doing the sti-ish power upgrade path. The block is healthy (<5% leakdown, 155 +/-4psi on all cylinders).

currently planning on replacing the following:

timing belt
timing belt idlers (2smooth, 1 small, 1 toothed)
timing belt tensioner
water pump
accessory belts
thermostat
plugs
fuel filter
radiator cap and hoses
IACV gasket
oil pump oring/crank seal

and every fluid i can get to (trans, clutch, PS, brake, coolant, oil, rear dif)

i'm also gonna clean out the MAF and IACV, and do the union screw and banjo screw TSBs

now....here's the maybe list..
camshaft seals (***** to do)
valve-cover gaskets
reshim valves to factory spec
other coolant/vacuum hoses

and three pricey questions:
oil pump
PS pump
front O2 sensor

So. Do I do the pricey ones, is anything on the maybe or planned list really unnecessary? any reccomendations?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Looks like you're going all-out, which you might as well do for arguably the most important major service interval. We did much of the same for my 04 XT. Here's what my husband the parts geek recommends for a basic timing belt service: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/316673-post2.html

Cam seals: 806732150 x 2
Crank seal: 806733030
Water pump: 21111AA007 (iirc) + 21114AA051 (gasket)
Timing belt: 13208AA230
Thermostat: 21200AA072 + 21236AA010 (O-ring)
Drive belts: 809218270 (iirc) + 73323AA000
Subaru Coolant: SOA868V9210
Subaru Coolant Additive: SOA635071
Oil Filter: 15208AA100 + 11126AA000 (unless Fumoto Valve equipped)
Oil filter part number has been superseded, but I'm not sure of the new one.

In addition to the above list we replaced ALL hoses carrying fluid of ANY sort underneath the hood. This includes everything from the main upper/lower hoses to the oil cooler hoses, to the water to turbo hose, to heater hoses, from front to rear of the engine bay. The radiator and TMIC hoses were replaced with SAMCO silicone hoses.

All tensioner pulleys, idlers, and anything that touches the timing belt.

All seals. Oil pump to the block o-ring, cam/crank seals, water pump gasket (obvious) and all the front end things that can wind up leaking and being expensive to fix if we have to go in later.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,577 Posts
I plan on trading mine in at 105K miles.:woohoo:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
FYI the XT has no IACV.

I'd definitely do cam and crank. I'd also do the front O2 sensor as they seem to go around 120,000 (and its probably whats giving you such terrible mileage). I'd probably replace as much of the rubber hoses as you want depending on their condition. The hose going to the oil filter cooler thing (the one that attaches to the underside of it and you see next to the oil filter) tend to get beat up when changing the oil so I'd probably replace that one.

I'd probably consider replacing the radiator as they're known to split near the upper rad hose.

Also, at the same time you might want to throw an STI uppipe on and the EGT resistor mod.

I'd also check all your wheel bearings at the same time, the RR seems to go out around 80-100,000.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no IACV, really? what's the sensor bolted onto the throttle body then? IAT?

never checked wheel bearings before...what's involved? just seeing if there's play in
the hub?

i'll inspect the radiator, but i'd rather not add the expense right now if it looks ok.

In terms of replacement hoses, I don't need some bling kit, should I just get the OEM molded ones, or can i buy like a spool of general use hose and just cut-to-size?

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Electronic throttle body. Notice there's no steel cable going to it?

So that's the drive motor and sensors which also handles the idle speed.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, interesting.

what's the consensus on a 100k radiator with no bulges or leaks?

timing belt cover gaskets too i think?

bought a newish sti PS pump yesterday also...

worth a brand new O2 or can i get away with a used one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts