Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 forester xt 5mt
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched on here a little but couldnt find anything specific, my car hit 102k today, need to get the parts for the timing belt replacement.
1. What parts should I replace at 102k?
2. where is the best place to get them?
3. Do i need to replace the water pump?
Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
i have mixed feelings about how much to replace.

have you done the headgaskets yet? is the first question to answer.
what year and model of car? missed your sig... sorry
are you original owner and maintained well with fluid changes?

on past cars I have replaced the timing belt and just checked the idlers, tensioner, and water pump. i only replaced other stuff if I thought was suspect, under the assumption I would probably be doing a head job by 150k or so and could replace everything else then.

look carefully for headgasket leaks too before deciding what and how much to do.

if $ is no object I would just do everything and be done with it. belt, idlers, tensioner, cam oil seals, crank oil seal, water pump.

i would pretty much use OEM subaru parts for this. there are several vendors here that I have not used yet, but either they or other online places should be able to give you a nice discount over the local dealer.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Since you're in there it makes sense to replace as much as possible. You will definitely want to do the belt, tensioner, and water pump. You'll also probably want to do most of the front end engine seals at the same time, might also want to reseal the oil pump at the same time. I also had the valve covers resealed. You might want to consider replacing the radiator as well (most places will remove it when doing the timing belt anyway), the plastic end tanks tend to split after around 100-150,000 miles.

·
Registered
04 forester xt 5mt
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replaced the radiator with a gimmick aluminum rad at 89k, wont be needing to replace that. Anyone else? Which front end engine seals will I need to replace? I want to do it well, I travel a lot so I am always putting miles on my car and I need it to be reliable.
any suggestions on where to purchase?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts