Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also posted at nasioc

Looking to buy a Subaru Forester.. love the room.. I have a couple questions for the group here. Seems most folks favor the 5spd over the auto.
How much faster is the 5spd over the auto.. ?

I found a 04 black FXT PP at carmax for $20750 which by the book values seems pretty good but it's an automatic. I currently drive a specV which is decent quick 0-60 in 7.5 but I need a better car.. I don't see me getting too many upgrades... Would the auto. be ok for me? Need room for dog and kid...

Thanks in advance.. john

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Just ask Roo or silke about auto's

they've got one

it is da' coolest

Auto for me too

FXT 0-60 is probally around 6.5 seconds

Still around there for an auto also

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Welcome!!

How much faster?? Hmmmmm, I would guess 1/2 second or so. The All Wheel Drive is very difficult to launch from a stop - too much traction. :grin: 0-60 times have been reported from 5.2 - 6.5 or so. Depends on the car, the day, the driver, and if it is your car or not. Car magazines get better times by abusing them. I am guessing the stock, '04 auto will be around 6.5 seconds - depending on how you launch it.

I have an '06 FXT Auto, and it is very fast - and almost stock. Nail the throttle at the wrong time...and hold on to something, it will get wild! :shock:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I recently bought my 05 XT w/ manual transmission and love the vehicle. Love the torque. I'm guessing you had the Sentra Spec V. I had a Focus SVT. Loved revving it but missed the torque of my old turbo Passat. Forester Turbo is a torque monster. Effortless power and I'm amazed at how quick revving the motor is.

Auto or manual seems like a pretty easy decision, it's all what you want and what you like. I don't do autos, plain and simple. Clutch is very easy on the XT and shifter feel is pretty good (a little vague, but not bad, at all).

I think if you look around for left-over 05s you might find a brand new one for not too much more $$$.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
If you EVER really want to do any off roading, Auto is the way to go

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Just ask Roo or silke about auto's

they've got one

it is da' coolest
yes... yes it is. :biggrin:

Well, Roo and I love our 4EAT anyways. It's personal personal preference more than anything... I'm lazy and don't want to shift all the time :oops: so that's what I prefer. The manual is quicker for sure, but unless you plan on being be a regular at the dragstrip I don't think it matters all that much. Plus, you can still build the 4EAT to be a beast (just ask sleeper_xt ;-) ) or at least mod it enough that it will approach a stock manual XT in performance (check my sig).

If you drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, the auto might be for you...

The auto is better suited for going off-road as well.

It all depends on what you like and how/where you plan to drive your Forrie. :grin:

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
I'll agree that it is basicly up to what you want; an FXT is quick - auto or manual.

Personally, I'm a control freak and I prefer the manual, but that is just my preference.

The official stock Subaru FXT 0-62 m/h times are:

Manual: 5.9s
Auto: 7.6s

In the real world, however, 50-70 m/h is a more interesting figure, and I presume the diference between the manual and the auto is not so significant as the 0-62 time.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
04 FXT Premium package

Well I drove it and it feels pretty good... It's definitely different to drive an auto versus my 6spd.. The 04 auto takes a second before it kicks in. I do like the crazy huge sunroof and this one had the compass mirror. I think the black with tinted windows and STi gold rims would look pretty good..

thanks for the input thus far

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
I have a MT so you know what I prefer. The point of the auto being better for off-roading is a valid one. I for one had thoughts of a little off-roading originally but after 18" wheels and coilovers, that's no longer realistic.

I do commute in mine and for me, once I figured out the double clutch into first, stop and go is no problem. As far as canyon driving, I don't think i'd be happy unless I could heel and toe and blip the throttle. It's just part of the fun while driving for me.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,437 Posts
midnight302 said:
The 04 auto takes a second before it kicks in.
The lag can be remedied with a reflash and some simple mods. :wink:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
You probably wont need to do this if your car is fairly new but I noticed after 10K miles or so it can be stubborn occasionally. This is only necessary when you're rolling (5-10MPH or so).It goes like this- clutch in, blip, shift to neutral holding the shifter near the 1st gear engagement point, clutch in, blip, while pushing the shifter in first. Takes a good blip sometimes but you're just matching the synchro speed to the engine's speed allowing the gear to slip in smoothly. It all happens in a second or so.

At a stop I usually just ease it in but occasionally, it needs to be put into second and then first. I actually double clutch my 3rd to 2nd downshift (heel and toe) always. It's mostly habit from driving cars with bad synchros but for me not to do it would be like someone trying to learn how to do it.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
found new 05 legacy GT wagon 5spd, good or bad??

Well.. searching for a forester and found a legacy GT

Found an "leftover" 05 legacy gt wagon 5spd garnet pearl about an hour and half away. Kinda excited... dealer asking under $24k + tags, taxes business.. I think that's pretty good... is it??

thanks john

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
That sounds like a good price for that Legacy. Around here, the only 5-spd Legacy GT Wagon we could find was pushing $30K. At $24k, I'd be hard pressed to not jump all over it.

I also made the move from a Spec V ('02) to a Forester XT. Definitely a move UP! You know how there are some cars you'll never forget? Well, the Spec V ain't one of 'em, especially after driving this rocket for the past 2 years. The only time I think of that car is when someone else mentions it first. Get yourself a Subaru turbo and don't look back. :)

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
if you love to drive manual, there's no other way around it, unless you really want the change.

however, the automatic is pretty good in these cars.

i, of course, would choose manual, unless you drive in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic on a daily basis. i find myself cursing sometimes when it's been longer than 60 minutes with absolutely nothing but clutch in/clutch out movement in first gear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts