Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My [lightly used, low mileage] 2001 Forester L has hit the big 1-0 since manufacture, and I just noticed on the sunvisor that I apparently need to take it in for "Airbag service"

A few questions for the group

1) What is involved in the airbag check?

2) Are there independant shops that are equip to handle this or should I just buck up and go the local dealers (all universally awful here in NYC)

3) How necessary is this

4) Any ballpack on the cost?

thanks

-d

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
The system does its own "self check" every time you start start the engine. If the airbag light comes on for a couple seconds when you start the engine, then goes off, no faults are detected. :smile:

Of course you have your dealership check it. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
This question comes up every so often. The easy answer is don't worry about it. As noted, the system self-checks every time you start the car. There really isn't much more anyone can do than that other than re-check it with a scan tool. I have not come across an airbag that has failed due to age.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Now another question--maybe I should start another thread

how about the timing belt. I'm no where near the mileage for that, but in calendar months I'm there. I'm thinking of doing the belt, but omitting the water pump etc. (I only have 65,000 miles-it's a weekend driver)

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
DO NOT skip the water pump. It's not an expensive part, but guaranteed it will go bad six weeks after you have the belt done and you'll have to pay for the timing belt labor all over again to replace it. It's simply not worth the risk. I'd also pay for the front cam and crank seals at the same time, as they are getting old and will start to leak, and then...yep...duplicate labor again.

I've not heard of a timing belt 'aging out' vs the mileage limit but safe is better than sorry with these. I don't think it's critical to do it this month, but maybe plan for it in the next year or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts