Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested a '10 Forester yesterday and loved it. My Prius lease is up in February and I'm very excited about the prospect of AWD for future New England winters (though I will miss my great mileage).

In any event, I'm very confused about the stereo/bluetooth situation in the Premium & Limited. I need bluetooth and iPhone/iPod connectivity. Not negotiable.

So is it true that in the Limited, I will get bluetooth but not be able to control my iPhone through the steering wheel controls?

Then for the Premium, my understanding is that the stereo isn't as good, but I can control my iPhone through the wheel? AND then I'd have to buy an add-on for Bluetooth.

The above seems kind of crazy, but this is what I remember the dealer saying.

Can anyone deny or confirm? Many thanks! ~Carrie

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
You will find that the stock stereo isn't very good for those that want more out of a stereo.

Like you I have an iPhone and in my Limited I do not have it.

My plan and maybe yours is to replace the headunit with aftermarket. ie Alpine 505

This way I am able to get everything I need. iphone/GPS/Sirius all in one unit that is better and cheaper than adding modules to a crappy stock unit.

Sorry if I didn't exactly answer your question. Look into aftermarket stuff. better for less

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Limited with the iPhone connectivity option. The steering wheel controls it -- the arrow buttons skip to the next song. (Obviously the volume controls). But it's impossible to switch around between songs, podcasts and audiobooks using only the wheel.

I have the navigation screen, if that affects anything.

I think what they're saying is that the complex controls for the iPod will require you to use the dash. It's not that the wheel controls don't work, it's just that there are not enough buttons to do all that stuff on the iPod.

(And really, the control for the iPod interface is a nightmare -- I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade at some point).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Remember......this is an option that must be added on by yourself or the dealer. The stock HU while it has the buttons and all is not complete for the Ipod/Iphone. Since this is your first post.....Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people, info and help here. Best of luck on your new vehicle, hopefully its a FOZ and an XT at that! Either way they are both great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the quick responses (and hospitality!).

Since I'll probably lease again, I want to spend as little as possible on extras and add-ons so I'm trying to figure out what will get me the most stuff for the least money!

I am fully in love with the moonroof, so I'm at least into the Premium...

·
Registered
2017 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,440 Posts
I bought a premium with every limited option minus the: leather, limited 17" alloys, navigation.

I got a great deal on it from Secor Subaru in New London Ct.

·
Registered
09 WRX 5dr
110 Posts
too lazy to search it for you right now, but it's pretty easy. There is a tutorial on NASIOC. let me know if you need help locating it. I believe 2010 XT and 2009 WRX have very similar interior. Mine only took me about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2009 Impreza OutbackSport 4EAT
404 Posts
Get the Limited with NO nav option. That way you'll get the leather seats (good) and ipod connectivity (very good). I bought the Outback Sport trim level of the Impreza hatch to get the ipod interface option. It's the best thing too, when there's nothing on the radio I can just switch to the ipod where there are hours of music. Also have the 6 CD player which is full too. Stereo sounds fine, it's a stock stereo, and at this price point most aren't great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts