Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone have information about 2010 Forester navigation system model?
Is is same as the on installed in 2010 outback?
What's the brand and model?
I like to have navigation with 3D view, but I don't think factory Nav. provides this feature.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2010 Forester, Legacy
50 Posts
I can tell you it's definitely not the same one as in the Legacy/Outback. You can find a picture/review of it here:
A week in the 2010 Subaru Forester: Day 7 (using the navigation system)
And I attached a pic of the Legacy/OB one from the manual.

Factory Nav systems have consistently, in my experience, been much, much worse than a standalone unit, or even an aftermarket in-dash unit.

The head units of Subies get pretty bad raps all the way around. When I realized my Legacy didn't come with the Harmon Kardon (which I later found out was just an amp with a stock head unit), I planned immediately to upgrade it to something better. I've settled on the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT because it provides bluetooth and a touchscreen interface for my iPod. It has Nav, which is cool, and I'll probably leave it on map view while driving, but for directions and turn-by-turn, you can't beat an Android phone. My Nexus One is the best GPS I've ever used.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester, Legacy
50 Posts
It's interesting that I couldn't find a Nav manual for the Forester on Subaru's website, even though I own one, and a Nav manual pops up under my Legacy on MySubaru. I'm sure the software is made by the same company, so that the interface and maps appear the same, just like Toyota/Lexus all have Eclipse systems, and the UI all looks the same even though they have some different features.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Bumping to update...

You can find a picture/review of [the Impreza/Forester OEM Navi HU] here: ...
The link changed. New link:

The article's "slideshow" link is also broken. This may be the new link.

They'll probably change the links again eventually. I found that one by using examiner.com's search box, looking for "A week in the 2010 Subaru Forester" (with quotes). They did not update the links at the bottom of each 'day' article.

Here's a review of the AVIC-U310BT that Ryan posted back in July...

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
13 Posts
The system is a Kenwood. The software is the same for the Forester and Outback. Here is the info from the Kenwood site.

For Models: Outback-2010+...............................
Legacy-2010+.................................
Impreza/WRX/STI-2008+................
Forester-2009+...............................
Item Number: 86283AJ07A(86283FG110)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
The system is a Kenwood. The software is the same for the Forester and Outback. Here is the info from the Kenwood site.

For Models: Outback-2010+...............................
Legacy-2010+.................................
Impreza/WRX/STI-2008+................
Forester-2009+...............................
Item Number: 86283AJ07A(86283FG110)
The software is similar, probably 90% same, but there are differences in functionality.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
If it's the same as the 2010 OB then it's the same as my Legacy's nav system which is indeed a kenwood. I like most of the functionality of the system except the GPS. It does not have 3D and the whole setup is confusing and clunky. I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff out but I had to read the manual. I've gotten okay at using it. It's been just fair, I still have my TomTom and also Sprint Nav on my phone which I find to be both easier and more reliable. I still can't get the voice activation to work but I do like the BT capability and i-pod integration. If you get it and want to make it usable in real life you will need to do the ground mod hack though:

http://www.scoobymods.com/2010-grounding-mod-hk-nav-t12780.html

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
17 Posts
I just ordered the update discs for the 2010 Forester (which are the same for the Legacy/Outback). "Only" $245US and found the Kenwood site through the Subaru.com website. There is so much new construction in the Washington D.C. metro area, that my 2010 (which is 2009 data) discs are already obsolete.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
151 Posts
Gadget, please let us know if all the new roadwork is included on the update disks for your area. I'm holding out until I feel I really need the new disks. So far the originals been ok for getting me around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts