Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get to spend a day as a layover in Tokyo next weekend, any suggestions on what to do?

Also, Hong Kong is an alternative. Must-do's there?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
Buy up all the jdm parts you can for cheap & bring them back to sell to us!

joe r

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Hit up Akihabara for some electronic overload!

I lived is Kunitachi (just south of Toyko) back in late 2000/early 2001 and it is so different than the US that anywhere go you find something cool and fun to do. One problem is that the International airport is in the middle of nowhere and a good hour away from the city. Traffic to and from the airport is also some of the worst I've ever seen anywhere in the world, so if there are accidents or bad weather the trip from downtown Toyko to the airport can take several hours.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
962 Posts
Subaru headquarters!
To the shrine of FHI HQ; then beat the stuff out of them and make them return to the righteous "Path of Subaru"

If I'd wanted a Toyota shopping trolley, I would have bought one :mob:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
The Narita Express (NEX) kind of helps you avoid the traffic (well, I try to never drive in Tokyo proper) if you're just trying to get to Tokyo station. It's not THAT much faster, but if you don't want to get a shuttle or hop multiple modes, the NEX is quick. Raced my mom (she took the Sobu line) and I think I only got there about 20-25 minutes faster. The NEX costs more than double the Sobu line too (basically ~$14 vs ~$32). But I have to admit, the NEX is fricken nice and clean (especially if you ride the newer trains, but practically ALL of Japan is clean... seriously, even Irvine doesn't compare).

Well with only one day, I suggest getting to Tokyo Station by whatever means you choose, take the red Marunouchi line to Shinjuku. Not much to see/experience though if you're not into shopping though. There is some good food here, though I can't remember where exactly, as I eventually migrated to Roppongi for food (mainly because I was visiting my cousin at the Mori Towers... go up to the observation deck at night.. you can see the entire Tokyo from up there, but there is a fee). Get on the Oedo line to get to Roppongi.

I know Gonpachi is popular there for all walks of life (okay, I admit it, mostly visitors and the Brits working in Tokyo) and it is a fun place to eat with some friends (remember that Kill Bill scene in that restaurant? it was modeled after Gonpachi). Gonpachi is yakitori--basically Japanese bbq--but the stuff you'll eat is not appetizing to hear (e.g. Ox tongue, chicken livers, etc) but it's good (there's always just beef and chicken too). Roppongi Hills is a major shopping mall underneath Mori Towers, but again, I don't know if you'd really like to shop.

From Roppongi, you can hop onto Hibya line to get over to say... Tokyo Tower at the Kamiyacho stop (well, you can technically walk there since you can see Tokyo Tower from Roppongi but it's much easier to just ride the subway again. Costs money again to get up to the top, so if you've already gone up Mori Towers, you could skip this or just try both. If you want to skip Tokyo Tower and look for some place to just chill/walk, from Roppongi, get on Oedo to Ueno-Okachimachi and walk to Ameya yokocho (it's a street market). You can get a bunch of snacks here (mostly sweets) or walk over to Ueno Park to chill.

Then get back on the Ginza and ride all the way to Shibuya (since it'll be almost night) and experience the iconic intersection. Shinjuku is just as lit up but the common pic of Tokyo is of Shibuya.

If you want to do this all in reverse from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku last, go to Ginza station first and transfer to the Ginza line to Ueno-hirokoji. Oh and Asakusa has a Buddhist temple with a bunch of street markets as well.

Tokyo is hard to experience in one day. :\ I'm not too much a fan of a Akihabara, since it is basically a tourist trap but hey if you like to fiddle with gadgets and stuff, it could suit your fancy.

I forget what else.. it's been a while. Oh and people used to tell me that people in Japan understand English relatively well since they adopt so many English words... don't believe them. I had to speak Japanese to get anything answered. But they're generally nice people.

Hong Kong I've actually never been to.. well not the city, the airport yeah. GF doesn't like HK.. says it's too rude and dirty.

Photos:
1-Gonpachi food (BACONN!!!)
2-Gonpachi
3-Spider at Mori Towers
4-Shibuya @ Night
5-Shinjuku.. but I wouldn't recommend repeating what I did..lol
6-Tokyo Tower from Mori Towers @ night
7-Tokyo Tower up close

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
There are a few "MUST DO's" from my trip to Japan a few years ago.

Chris hit the first one. Akiahabra. I got that tip from Kevin when I was going over. Try to go at night. It's an utterly unbelievable sight to behold.

I'd say the following are a must.

Visit Harajuku. This can be any time of the day. Even if you aren't a toy fanatic, you'll love the atmosphere. There are a few shrines down the main drag which are interesting and fun. The toy stores are incredible. Plus, they all have Subaru models. Subaru in Japan, unlike the USA, is the Sport Compact to own. In JDMland, the STi owns the EVO. It's the straight truth. Why do you think so many Subaru owners want OEM JDM bits, and not a single EVO owner tries to get JDM anything? Japan is truly the Subaru capital of the world.

Next, go to Sony Tower. It's right downtown from the Tokyoeki. Just a fun place, and you can stop at the Nissan Showcase on the way there.

The Bridgestone Museum is really neat. The amount of rare artwork in that building is astounding. Almost nothing car related (except for the F1 car in the window), but real Monet's up close and personal. Unlike the US, the velvet rope is inches from the painting, so you can get up close and personal. Truly amazing.

Definitely go to the main square where Tokyo Drift was filmed. Run through the square making drifting noises if you desire.

In Tokyo, downtown, there is an area called "Piss Alley". In the alley closest to the highway, about a block in, there is a small bar that has some of the most delicious katchitori I've ever had. Less than 500 yen, IIRC.

There are a few high-end rental places. I think it was around 98000yen to rent an NSX-R with a manual transmission. Pearl white only. You HAVE to get your international drivers license first, which can be obtained for some $30 from any AAA center near you. This is something that I wish we had done when we were there.

There is a small bar somewhere near the Red District called A-Bar. It was one of my favorite bars in Japan. Stereotypical American bar from the Japanese POV. Cowboys and rastafarians. Really cool place, and they had great food too.

Thats all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
^ Great advice up there.
It's been a while ('98) since I went to Japan, but food was what struck me the most and what I enjoyed the most. Try to find a traditional restaurant (doesn't have to be expensive) and get a sample of what the japanese cuisine can offer. I'd look to Lonely planet to identity a good spot.
Bon voyage!!

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I would start eating at the airport and not stop till they put me in the iron lung.

Sushi conveyer belt places are the best....just grab what you want and they charge you by the number and color of the emply plates when you're done.

Also...ask a local (cab driver or hotel staff) where a good local izakaya is (that is a japanese pub) where you can get real pub food...little grilled japanese tapas that are the mainstay of every salaryman's daily routine.

Here is a great Japanese food blog with some ideas:

Japanese Food - Food Lover's Guide to Tokyo

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
Oh, and DEFINITELY get Pork Katsudon. That is one dish I will never forget. Absolutely delicious.

Fromers was pretty good about sites and places in Japan.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
i would try to find lil bow wow.. take a ride in his hulk green car n try to meet the DK.. would be cool to party it up with those girls there.. im sure once you walk in the room.. youll hear the "tokyooooooooo... drift... drift drift.." song haha

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
^^ Best resonse yet. I've heard glorious tales of the sushi conveyor belts and want to do this one day. Will wear strechy pants.

I'll third that motion! :woohoo:
I'd 4th that. Find out where the nearest Subie dealer is ahead of time and preorder a few small parts like pedals and badges... Walk in, pick up , look around for a bit.

Most of all, bring your camera and take lots of pictures ! Go "test drive" something cool, here's an example for you:

YouTube - 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Spec C Type RA

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome advise everyone, than you.
Heading out to Busan S Korea tomorrow and if all goes well I am planning on being in Tokyo next Sat morning and then flying to LAX Sun afternoon.
Pray to the welding gods that Korea goes well, otherwise no Tokyo...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We built 6 welding machines for a company that makes heavy wall stainless pipe.

Didn't get to stop in Tokyo :(
Maybe next time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts