Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder of a billion years from now people will strike oil and some genius scientist will have a theory that it comes from decaying cars....I personally don't believe the dinosaur/plant matter theory..something doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a billion years from now people will be extinct
Yeah...ok good point...then the robots we left behind will wonder where the oil comes from...lol.

Actually...I read an interesting piece about how the sun eventually will burn out but not before it becomes a red giant and fries the earth and everything on it to crispy bacon-like bits. Kind of humbling to know that if we never colonize another world...our entire existence and history will be snuffed out...except for TV re-runs traveling thru the universe at the speed of light..

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
The oil will be gone long before then, so it doesn't even matter. Oil is made from decaying organic matter over very very long periods of time. It is true, its not exactly a debated point.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
There is an abiotic theory of oil origin. But it is not widely held. There was a book called "The Deep Hot Biosphere" I forgot the author's name but it explained the theory. The author was the father of the abiotic theory. There was also speculation that some ultra deep Russian wells to 40,000 feet were tapping oil below the strata where it would be if it was biotic in origin. It was interesting to read about but it doesn't matter to me either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts