Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0614 X & 2.5iP 4eat & CVT
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
My '14 Forester is in for a short block replacement and I decided to have the dealer (Flow Subaru in Winston-Salem, NC - really great folks!) install a 1" ADF spacer kit. I just got a call from them saying that the rear wheels are rubbing badly - too much to drive it to the alignment rack. And they say that an alignment won't fix this problem anyway.

Full disclosure: I've got Hankook Dynapro 235 65 17 tires on there and this seems to be the problem. I'm wondering if these tires are a mistake or if I should find a spacer?

I have an inquiry in to ADF but am at a stand still now so would appreciate any input. @Anderson Design & Fab you out there? :grin2:

Help?:crying:

Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I talked with Patrick at ADF and my suspicions are confirmed. I'll need smaller tires - 225's in order to make this work. decision time...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man! And thanks again for your input earlier - very very helpful.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring CVT
1,008 Posts
Is this for your 14 or 06? If it's for the 14 then it's most likely because you didn't buy the rear subframe realignment spacers to re-center the wheels. You can get away without it with only a 1" lift and close to stock tire size, but not with that much larger of a tire. You might already know about this, but just wanted to emphasize in case it helps you or somebody else.

Your options now are either go with a smaller tire size or buy the subframe spacer kit to keep the tires you have.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@SuBooneru Sorry, I added that it is a '14 up there. Thanks for the input. For the 1" I didn't expect needing a subframe spacer but with these tires apparently it's needed if I want to keep them.
Now I'm weighing my options, like you say - either downsize tire, remove the lift, or add subframe spacer kit (which is more than i want to do).

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Can we talk about the short block replacement part? On a 14? :( Mine is in for that today too, but it is an 06...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@konaid - yeah that's another story! Basically I bought this at 95k or thereabouts, drove it for a while. Took it to the dealer for an oil change at 99,500 and told them the oil pressure light came on. They ran an oil consumption test and it failed miserably. They said they'd replace it. That's about where I am now. They've been working on it for a few weeks now and I have a loaner Crosstrek and can't wait to get my Forester back.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
was it hopefully under warranty? It scares me that these newer engines seem to not be lasting very long. I really want a new one, but my faith in the subaru engine is shaky...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it was replaced under warranty. My understanding is that the problem is solved with the new short block.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, quick update. After shuffling through the options I ended up deciding to change out the tires. I found a local shop (Mock Tire) that had the Yoko Geolandar 225 65 17 in stock (for a very good price too) and just dropped them off at the Subaru service center and they'll complete the transformation tomorrow. Now I'll be selling my Hankook Dynapro 235 65 17's later this week - any semi-local NC folks interested in them feel free to holler. I'll be listing them soon.
Thanks for everyone's input - I'm relieved to see the light.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, got my Forester back yesterday and I'm very pleased. The engine runs perfectly and the tires roll very well too. The lift is perfect. I drove it up to Virginia for some fishing immediately and tested it out on 60 miles of road each way then some stream crossings and fire roads. Very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
131 Posts
Glad it worked out! Cheers. (P.S. My new engine is making me happy as well. A lot more power, and with the new clutch, she feels great!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to hear! Planning to go the same route with the 1 inch lift and I already have ko2s in 225-65-17 installed so hopefully this size fits well with the 1inch sPacers! Do you have a pic of the finished result with the g015?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bet you’re will work and look great! I really like mine like this I can go many more places now and it rides great. I’ll take a picture today.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Automatic
62 Posts
Here you go. Not a great pic but hopefully it’ll give you a good idea.

I am so glad that I found this discussion of yours. I also have a 2014 Forester with Yoko Geolandar 225 65 17 tires. I was wondering if the 1" ADF lift would work. Thank you so much for answering my question with your post!

By the way... For the rear spacer did you get the 1" size or the 1 3/8" size?

Also, do you have any side profile photos of your back wheels with the lift installed?

P.S. Do you have the original factory spare or did you get a different sized one to match the size of your 225 65 17 tires?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm glad to help!
I still have the OEM spare but will get the right size soon.
I just did 1" in back.
I'll see if I can get a pic of the back view after this rain passes.

Here you go. Not a great pic but hopefully it’ll give you a good idea.

I am so glad that I found this discussion of yours. I also have a 2014 Forester with Yoko Geolandar 225 65 17 tires. I was wondering if the 1" ADF lift would work. Thank you so much for answering my question with your post!

By the way... For the rear spacer did you get the 1" size or the 1 3/8" size?

Also, do you have any side profile photos of your back wheels with the lift installed?

P.S. Do you have the original factory spare or did you get a different sized one to match the size of your 225 65 17 tires?

·
Registered
2017 FXT CVT
57 Posts
@SuBooneru Sorry, I added that it is a '14 up there. Thanks for the input. For the 1" I didn't expect needing a subframe spacer but with these tires apparently it's needed if I want to keep them.
Now I'm weighing my options, like you say - either downsize tire, remove the lift, or add subframe spacer kit (which is more than i want to do).
You stated that the sub-frame spacers were "more than [you] wanted to do." I was hoping to get more specific information about what particular aspect of the sub-frame spacer was more than you wanted to do (the install, impact on drive train alignment, cost, other, etc.).

I'm really not wanting to trade out my 235/65r17 Nokian Rotiiva AT's but I'm very much in need of stiffer springs and if you're replacing springs and considering a lift, that really feels like the time to do it.

Full disclosure, I did have some rubbing when I installed the Nokians, largely in the front, but after stretching both front and rear fender liners I have had no rubbing at all (not in forward, reverse, braking, accelerating, at full lock when turning, on hills nor on flat surfaces or any combination of these).

Thanks,

Shane

1 - 20 of 24 Posts