Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like such an anti-environmentalist right now... I some how managed to put about 1.6k miles on the Foz over the past two weeks. Luckily I've been driving off the hill (I live in Tahoe) down to Carson and Reno so I was able to get Super Unleaded gas a bunch for a LOT cheaper than Regular in Tahoe.

Also, a quick question... Does the car add up miles if the car isn't actually moving but the wheels are spinning? i.e. If I was drifting and my wheels were spinning in the snow, is it going to get the actual distance the car is going or some calculation based on the mph the car is showing?

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
I feel like such an anti-environmentalist right now... I some how managed to put about 1.6k miles on the Foz over the past two weeks. Luckily I've been driving off the hill (I live in Tahoe) down to Carson and Reno so I was able to get Super Unleaded gas a bunch for a LOT cheaper than Regular in Tahoe.

Also, a quick question... Does the car add up miles if the car isn't actually moving but the wheels are spinning? i.e. If I was drifting and my wheels were spinning in the snow, is it going to get the actual distance the car is going or some calculation based on the mph the car is showing?
A, I've done the same thing before, interstate running really racks up the miles, especially when towns in MN are so far apart.

B, Yes. Your MPH and wheel spinning are the same. So if you sat and spun your tires, your going to be racking up a little distance, very little though. The car has no way to know if your covering distance or just stuck in the snow. Also, your not going to gain miles if you towed your car in neutral behind say your RV....though not recommended with the Subi. Finally, you can't take off miles by running in reverse, like Mr. Bueller.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
I drove home to Philly to work for my dad this summer. 2 vary long days of driving. I was on a very limited budget. I did it with $300 for every thing.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
try doing 3000 in 2 days.
:eek: What was your route?

I tip my hat to you, sir. My recent best was 3,559 miles (~5,740 km) this past Dec 16-20 (4-1/2 days) from Northern Virginia out to Laramie, Wyoming, and back, though not in my Forester. And I had lots of help from one of my brothers.

I don't think I'll ever do that again... :shake:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
:eek:

I tip my hat to you, sir. My recent best was 3,559 miles (~5,740 km) this past Dec 16-20 (4-1/2 days) from Northern Virginia out to Laramie, Wyoming, and back. And I had lots of help from one of my brothers.

I don't think I'll ever do that again... :shake:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
OMG what way did you come out? I80 sux and Wyoming and Nebraska are 2 of the worst states to drive true. Yellowstone is 8 hours or so from Fort Collins. But its the worst drive i have ever dun. I'm flying next time its so bad.

I25 to I70 to the PA turnpike.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,748 Posts
My .02 on the drive

OMG, what way did you come out? I-80 sux and Wyoming and Nebraska are 2 of the worst states to drive through.
Took a look down an eastbound road,
Right away I made my choice
Headed out to my Suby SVX,
I was tired of my own voice
Took a bead on the northern plains
And just rolled that power on...

...I rolled across the high plains
Deep into the mountains
Felt so good to me
Finally feelin' free...

...Stood alone on a mountain top,
Starin' out at the great divide
I could go east, I could go west,
It was all up to me to decide
Just then I saw a young hawk flyin'
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon
My heart was singin'...

Your mileage - and opinion - may vary, results not typical. It was almost religious in its beauty, the driving at whatever speed you felt comfortable, and the open road...

...of course in an SVX at 90mph+, it was very comfortable and beautiful indeed. BTW, if you think I was speeding excessively, you should have seen the Turbo Diesel Dodge Ram with the 5 horse trailer who was tailgating me at these speeds. From the time I crossed the CA/NV border, I only saw ONE trooper on I-80, and that was in WY where a semi-truck decided to go straight when the road curved right. He was there doing the accident investigation/clean up.

My only regret is having set a deadline time to deliver this vehicle from California to Omaha, NE in 30 hours. Otherwise, I'd have been out there for a couple of days capturing the beauty.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang that's crazy what you guys have driven. I'm surprised about myself though because it was in about a 50-100 mile radius the entire time haha. And to the post above this, I wish I could drive there someday :D

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
OMG what way did you come out?
Here's a Mapquest link to our basic route. We spent a lot of time on I80 through NE and WY... but, under less pressing conditions, I actually like that route. Our trip schedule was selected to minimize weather problems based on short-term forecasts.

Ft. Collins to Yellowstone, eh? I've done the US287 run from Ft Collins to Laramie several times, and I really like that drive. My wife and I also own a bit of property just outside of Lander, WY; we really like both Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone.

Small world sometimes!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,542 Posts
Haha, just did the Nashville-Park City, UT and back. That's about 3500 miles (the way we had to take because of the blizzard) in 7 days. Wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
Here's a Mapquest link to our basic route. We spent a lot of time on I80 through NE and WY... but, under less pressing conditions, I actually like that route. Our trip schedule was selected to minimize weather problems based on short-term forecasts.

Ft. Collins to Yellowstone, eh? I've done the US287 run from Ft Collins to Laramie several times, and I really like that drive. My wife and I also own a bit of property just outside of Lander, WY; we really like both Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone.

Small world sometimes!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer
Yea small world indeed. Yellowstone and Grand Teton are 2 of the most incredible places i have ever been.
I did the I80 route when I moved out here from philly. I have to say I enjoyed the drove on I70 more. You have to 80 in NE only place I have ever seen wind socks on the high way over passes. I think its the wind that I really cant stand up in WY. It just never stops. But we go up there to mountain bike allot. If you ever get a chance check out Curt Gowdy state park up near Cheyenne. The riding is amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Satalac,

Yeah... we were tracking your li'l trip out to UT... quite some pics you posted!

Pulser,

Been through Curt Gowdy SP and the Vedauwoo Rocks area... stopped on the opposite side of I80 during this past trip to visit the Ames Monument; see attached pic. The small fellow in the pic is one of my train-nut brothers; he's 6'-3 (~190 cm).

Time to pack it in for the evening... Later, gents!

Jim / crewzer

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Forester
6 Posts
Tis the driving season - I just did 3800ish miles San Francisco > Austin, Tx > Dallas, Tx >and back in 3 weeks. I love a good road trip and the Forester made this one a very easy trip.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
In July/August 2000, we drove a Ford Windstar from:

SFO > Crescent City > Grants Pass > Eugen/Springfield > Portland > Vancouver BC > Kamloops > Jasper NP > Banff > Spokane > Hermiston > Boise > Winnemucca > Fallon > Tonopah > Las Vegas > Los Angeles,

5,500 miles in 14 days, well a bit less actually as we spent 2 days in Eureka CA and 3 days in Las Vegas, and we enjoyed every bit of it. Fantastic scenery - people - places and animals, we cant wait to come back and do the East Coast, but events keep cropping up that slow our return down.

We had planned to come back Christmas this year (2010) with my daughter and son-in-law, as he has a brother (Aussie) who lives and works in Boston, but the son-in-law went and put "a bun in the oven" and 6-7 mths is a bit too young to take a baby from our Summer to your Winter, so we are delayed yet again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts