Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester STI 6-speed
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm going to participate in some 1/4 track days. They require that I have a helmet that is at least M2005 rated (DOT or 218 won't due). I'm hoping to find a 3/4 or modular helmet that meets the requirements (full face is really distracting to me), for a decent amount.

I've looked at Bike Bandit, CycleGear, Dennis Kirk etc, and I've found some that will work, but they are all HJC (FS-3, CL-31 and CS-5) and some sites say they are only DOT rated, where other sites say they are M2005 or M2010 rated. As such, I'm not comfortable getting one, since I'd have to start the process all over if the right sticker isn't on the back when it arrives.

Anyone have any opinions out there?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
I think you're looking in the wrong place - you don't want to get a motorcycle helmet because the standards are different.

Here's a good summary of the differences:

Motorcycle helmets are tested to meet the highest safety standards in the industry .... from the Snell Foundation and are labeled with a sticker inside each helmet with a "Mxxxx" rating which refers to Motorcycle and the year the Snell Foundation update the standard.

Auto Racing helmets carry the Snell Foundation SA2005 ratings which refers to the SA, Special Applications and the year the Snell Foundation updated the standard.

Snell updates its standards every 5 years. You may still see a '95 in the market place but most likely M2000 or SA 2000's. The newest helmets on the market carry the 2005 which is the latest update.

In order to get the Snell rating, both types of helmets must pass a series of vigorous and identical impact tests. In addition to these tests the SA standard must comply with 3 additional variances or tests.

1) The SA helmets must have a Nomex fabric liner and are therefore more fire resistant for auto racing.

2) The SA standard allows a minimum eyeport size that is smaller than the minimum allowed for the M standard

3) The SA helmets must pass a test designed to simulate impact with a rollbar.

Some manufacturers include aerodynamic features on their SA helmets auto racing car helmets that would not make sense to put on the M helmets for motorcycling and many SA helmets are available with provisions for forced air cooling or emergency air supplies that are inappropriate or unnecessary for M helmets. Manufacturing costs being what they are... most manufacturers build their SA and M helmets identically with the exception of the inner liner.

We suggest buying SA 2005 for all racing events. The sanctioning body of each event, club or race will determine the standard accepted . Many clubs and or racing events will require SA ratings and may not accept M standards. Most clubs stop accepting both standards after a certain number of years past the date code. Check with your club, event, venue, prior to buying your helmet to see what is required.
Check with Primitive Racing, they're a dealer for PYROTECT with very reasonable pricing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pleiad7. I appreciate the input. Luckily for me the event that I am attending allows both SA and M ratings, so motorcycle style helmets are allowed. The $98 offering from Primitive Racing looks like a great option, and I'll probably go with it. I'll have to see if it's motorcycle legal too, since I participate in both sports. The full face helmet I currently have isn't very comfortable in the confines of the car though.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
143 Posts
Look at the helmet manufacturer's websites if you are getting conflicting info on whether or not a helmet is Snell M or DOT rated. Most manufacturers make helmets that are both Snell and just DOT rated. $100 is usually the starting point for a Snell M rated helmet. My first helmet (for autocross and track day use) was a Snell M helmet by G-Force, and my current one is a Bell rated Snell SA.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. After some more research I was able to find a really good deal, on eBay of all places.

Got a white, large Pyrotect Sportsman Helmet, brand new from the Pyrotect Racing store on eBay, for $65 shipped. They have some great deals on there. Some factory seconds, but the one I got was a discontinued model, as of this month.

Pyrotect Racing eBay store

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Wow, that is a great deal! Good find!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts