Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running 0W-30 oil?

I noticed WalMart now has Mobil 1 in the big 5qt jug for $23.50 over the weekend.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
0w30 is generally good stuff. The Mobil 1 0w30 actually has higher viscosity at operating temps than their 10w30. I have had oil consumption using their regular (not Extended Performance) 5w30, but none with the 0w30. Don't let the "0" scare you. German made Castrol Syntec in 0w30 is one of the better 30 weight oils you can buy.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx! good info on the Mobil 1. I had been using 10W30 but read up on oil more and want to go back to 5W30 or 0W30 after HG job for better cold lubrication and economy. (I noticed a couple mpg drop going from 5W30 to 10W30 after I first got the car used at 75k).

btw where do you get the german castrol syntec 0W-30 and how much?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
You can get the GC at Autozone. It's usually around the same price as M-1. You should do a google search for "German Castrol" to find out how to identify it.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
(I noticed a couple mpg drop going from 5W30 to 10W30 after I first got the car used at 75k).
I would almost guarantee there will not be that much of a difference. Now in the days that Mobil 1 was a true synthetic..the difference between 5W and 10W was the Bottle. Might be a bit different now.

I wouldn't worry about it in NC

You should do a google search for "German Castrol" to find out how to identify it.
One way is that is says "Made in Germany" on the back :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
The "0" part only applies to start-up conditions, and at room temperatures this oil is plenty thick, way thicker than the minimum viscosity needed to protect.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote: Originally Posted by adc
Originally Posted by Woody '04
(I noticed a couple mpg drop going from 5W30 to 10W30 after I first got the car used at 75k).
I would almost guarantee there will not be that much of a difference. Now in the days that Mobil 1 was a true synthetic..the difference between 5W and 10W was the Bottle. Might be a bit different now.
I ran the car probably 1000 mi or so on (presumed) 5W30 when I first got it and track my gas mileage. Usually fill up at same station and same pump. After changing to 10W30 high mileage Mobil 1, gas mileage decreased over 2 mpg, maybe closer to 3 from previous readings.

edit: i presume 5W30 dino oil of some kind because i bought it Used and serviced with warranty from a good Toyota dealer I had previous dealings with.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
I always notice slightly better fuel economy after an oil change, whether it's going from 10w30 to 5w30 or vice versa. After the first tank of gas or two, it returns to normal. Driving habits play a much bigger part in fuel economy than the condition of your oil though.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
btw where do you get the german castrol syntec 0W-30 and how much?
$6.99 / Qt + tax at our local Auto Zone.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Which mobil1 0w30 are you looking at? The new green bottle fuel economy one? I've only seen the green bottle stuff (or is that 0w20?) and the 0w40 which they only have in quart bottles. Do they have an EP 0w30? I'd love to run that during the winter instead of the 5w30 ep.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which mobil1 0w30 are you looking at? The new green bottle fuel economy one? I've only seen the green bottle stuff (or is that 0w20?) and the 0w40 which they only have in quart bottles. Do they have an EP 0w30? I'd love to run that during the winter instead of the 5w30 ep.
I saw 0W30 "fuel economy", non-EP 5 gal jug at wal-mart for $23.50. Can't remember if they also had big jug of 0W20 or not.

i'm a little leery of going 0W20 since i sometimes tow, mostly in the summer. i plan on putting oil and temp gauges in, so i may try 0W20 next fall/winter if pressure seems good.

autozone has special now until 3/10 locally $25.99 for 5 qts Castrol Syntec European and a Fram filter. (does say made in Germany on back). I asked if they could discount more to not get the filter and they couldn't. I may ask if they could discount a Bosch or Mobil 1 filter as part of the deal, but they probably can't do that either. guess i may be cutting open a Fram filter to see the bad for myself. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
autozone has special now until 3/10 locally $25.99 for 5 qts Castrol Syntec European and a Fram filter. (does say made in Germany on back). I asked if they could discount more to not get the filter and they couldn't. I may ask if they could discount a Bosch or Mobil 1 filter as part of the deal, but they probably can't do that either. guess i may be cutting open a Fram filter to see the bad for myself.
They used to offer the same deal at $27.99 and with a K&N filter. Here is all you need to know about GC FAQ - GC ( German Castrol ) - Bob Is The Oil Guy. I picked up some M1 0w40 and M1 filter at Advance for $27.99, but now their flyer is Pennzoil.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thx for the link. i have looked at the bobs oil stuff and a few other things.

i think the latest is:
"normal" Mobil 1 Synthetic is class III hydrocracked dino, after the lawsuit settlement.
Most other $5-$7 per qt. "synthetic" is also class III hydrocracked dino.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is real Class IV synthetic.
European Made in Germany Castrol Syntec is real Class IV synthetic?

can anyone confirm that is the latest info on oil formulations?

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
can anyone confirm that is the latest info on oil formulations?
I really don't think anyone is certain that Extended performance is Group IV. Bob is the oil guy spent some serious money a couple years ago analyzing GC and it was somewhat inconclusive except there was Group IV the rest of the composition was dubious.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,576 Posts
I'm gonna be honest the BITOG site is very helpful, but 98% of the posts are hear say and opinion. It is not the fault of the people on board since there is little to no info to be had on oil formulation. However, I don't understand why no one has gained access to a mass spectrometer or taken donations for lab time. ALL of the bickering could be ended with a Mass spec analysis, but all we get is "Which is better for my 2001 Cavalier M1 or Redline?".

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
If you read the FAQs on Mobil 1's own site, they won't even answer questions about group III vs. group IV content. I think this pretty much confirms that all of their oils probably have at least some group III content. They do frequently mention "SuperSyn" which I suspect is referring to group IV. I have always had consumption problems with regular silver cap bottles of M1 5w30, but never had any with 5w30EP, 10w30EP, or 0w30; all of which claim to have more of this magical "SuperSyn" ingredient.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts